2 problems with windows 7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 problems with windows 7

I am just about spent trying to solve these problems.

The first being my headphones. I own a pair of creative fatality usb headphones. They are good but after about 2 hours of use my sound goes totally nuts. Once I unplugg and replugg them everything is fine for another 2 hours. Now I have downloaded the latest beta drivers from creative but for some reason windows 7 installs different drivers that are from January. Its the oddest thing because I will install the new drivers and restart my computer. After the restart i plug in my headphones and win 7 starts searching for drivers once I plug them in. It then installs the wrong drivers...

The second being Xcom. I have tried running the game in compat mode (windows 95) but it still isn't working. When I start up the game all I get is a black screen but I do get the proper audio. Now the compat mode with windows 95 selected worked when I still had XP 64 bit but isn't working on win7 64bit.

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Re: 2 problems with windows 7

Can't really help you with the sound, although I occasionally get a similar error, around once a week the sound will garble and corrupt for seemingly no reason, probably a Creative driver error because we all know how incompetent those idiots are when it comes to driver support.

With regards to XCom, try running as administrator and disable visual themes in the compatibility tab.
    If that still doesn't work, try 256 colour mode. Unfortunately there are some games that simply belong to a different era and no amount of fiddling and tweaking will get them working again with a new OS.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenPirate View Post
      Unfortunately there are some games that simply belong to a different era and no amount of fiddling and tweaking will get them working again with a new OS.
      There is something wrong with not being able to play a previous game on a newer OS, I know it is most likely legacy interactions with core OS features which no program should require.

blackmain, if you still have your old OS and it is not in use you could always install a virtual machine with the old OS and play through there.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
        There is something wrong with not being able to play a previous game on a newer OS, I know it is most likely legacy interactions with core OS features which no program should require.
        Actually many times it is because the software is not using official OS features. Games (especially early ones) are especially bad at using undocumented features or other hacks to get more performance. Some even created "new" system DLLs (core libraries used by the OS) to add features.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

With a game as old as XCom, I'd suggest running it under DOSBox. Those older DOS/95/98 (those that still used DOS) games all have had issues running in Vista and beyond.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I am using DOSbox and wouldn't you know it tells me the xcom.exe can not be run in dos mode...... oh the irony

The hungry, ignorant man immediately grasps that he is handed a fish, but is bewildered when handed a net. The man who shivers in the cold thinks happily of the man who invites him to sit by his fire, and somewhat poorly of the man who loans him an axe, flint and steel.

Comment

RE: creative

Good luck.

RE: XCOM

via steam? If not check their forum page for hints as to what it might be
              http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...play.php?f=225

but looking breifly at it, I don't see a lot of related tech issues posted. Might be worth to re-buy it on steam if their built-in version of dosbox works.

Before you do, i'll DL it and test this weekend. I miss that game.

Win 7 x64

A VM is an excellent Idea if your up for some learning. WinXP mode is a quick way to do this.
              https://www.microsoft.com/windows/vi.../download.aspx

Comment

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/

Xcom works perfectly under steam. Click and play. 20MB DL lol.
                They use a custom-brew version of DOS box. So all the work is done for you. Just have to play around to get xcomutil to work if you use it (you should).

I think $5 is worth your fustration.

(JA2 comes on sale a lot, another good buy, avoid the new one, its aweful)

Comment

I never would of guessed Steam would sell Xcom. This has just made my day!

Comment

I have creative headphones as well. With your headphones unplugged, completely uninstall any creative software. Then go to there website and download the new drivers to a file. Plug your headset in, once windows installs the old drivers just uninstall them. Open the file with new drivers and install them.

Its a pain sometimes but it works. I have 4 front usb slots and for some reason if i use any of them but the one I originally used to install the headset, windows says "found new hardware, installing drivers"

Comment

How to run XCom editors in the steam version:

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Game_Editors
                      The two I recommend are:

Xcomutil For quick and dirty editing.
                      ClarkWehr editor for unit/base editing as well as many other things with a GUI.

I would only use one OR the other.

Both of these requir a bit of changing to the steam-included dosbox in order to be able to be run (under dosbox).

Anyone familiar with dos program launching should have no problem seeing how this works.

1. Go to your Xcom folder (TFTD in this case)
                      C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\x-com terror from the deep\

2. You will see the Dosbox launcher, as well as the dosbox.conf file that we will be editing in notepad.

3. Open dosbox.conf in notepad and scroll all the way to the bottom.

4. Delete the following lines under AUTOEXEC:
                      call terror.bat
                      exit
                      Save and exit

5. Now you essentially have a DOS VM launched with the TFTD folder as the "C" drive. All the emulation is loaded. Alt tabbing a couple times out of fullscreen "should" force it down to a window (in 7 at least) for even easier use.

_______

Installing and running Xcomutil:
                      - Exctract all the files to the main folder (TFD in this case) Rename duplicates.
                      - Launch your dosbox.exe and type in XcuSetup.bat
                      - Wait for the program to finish NULL'ing out (it takes a bit) and select the options you want.
                      - Close
                      - Go back to the Dosbox.conf file and add the following to the bottom
                      call RUNXCOM.bat
                      exit
                      And your done!

Installing and running the Clarkwehr Xcom editor:

- Extract the folder into it's own folder, preferably in the game folder (TFD in this case)
                      - Rename folder to CW (for simplicity)
                      - Launch the edited Dosbox and Type: CD CW
                      - Type INSTALL.EXE
                      - Install the program to "C", remove the destination folders (it should install to CWE folder in game folder)
                      - Say no to changing the AUTOEXEC
                      - Close when done
                      - Open CWE folder and open CWXCED.ini in notepad
                      - Change the folder locations to match game folder locations (in this case just "\")
                      - Save and close
                      - Launch dosbox and type in: CD CWE
                      - Type: TFTDEDIT.exe
                      - Have fun!
                      - Save and exit

------------

Now, if you don't need to use the editor anymore, you can simply restore your original dosbox.conf setting and it will launch your CW edited game as normal. Otherwise, you can launch the appropriate game launcher using old-school command line from the dosbox launcher directly. But keep in mind your steamlink will probably just take you to this dos prompt.

This hasn't been proofed or edited for errors, so please let me know if there are some.

cheers!

Comment

If you have the old Win95 version of X-COM like me (Collector's Edition, came with UFO Defense, Terror From the Deep, and Apocalypse) the black screen is because they changed the video API from XP onwards, and the game doesn't know how to display with the drivers it was given. It wants to use DirectDraw, but DD was deprecated for Direct3D. Theres a hack in some of the XcomUtils to patch it, also, Mok or f0dder's patch fixes it for UFO Defense. (Mok's is better, but the link is down currently.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                        <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                        DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Machine of Death do you know where the drivers are located?

Comment

Located on there website or on your pc?

Comment

I just did a new build with an I7 chip and win 7. I was having a similar issue when trying to install a new gpu....you can disable the automatic driver update in Win 7 easy enough. Just google "disable automatic driver updates". I'm sure you'll find it and I'll take a peek around and see if I can't find the URL i found to do it.

I had the same headset from Creative and I just retired them as they weren't playing nice with win 7 64. I tried the new drivers from creative but no matter what I could not get the mic to work...pretty essential for gaming at TG. Also I was having trouble getting my speakers to play at the same time as the head set. I switched to a $70 Razor headset with standard analog plugs and it's working beautifully.

Okay...I think I used the following website as my guide to disable auto driver update

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows...windows-vista/

It was written for Vista but it seems to be the same procedure for Win 7.
                              Last edited by Grunt 70; 07-19-2010, 12:54 PM. Reason: found url
                              sigpic
                              |TG-1st|Grunt
                              ARMA Admin (retired)
                              Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed