ATI Cat 9.12 overdrive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Cat 9.12 overdrive?

Okay so I load up the 9.12 driver, run the over drive auto test until complete (about an hour), accept the recommended settings, fire up Arma 2 and within 10 seconds my GPU takes a dump.

After several tries with the same result. I have to switch of overdrive.

Am I missing something or is this overdrive feature borked?

Re: ATI Cat 9.12 overdrive?

The fan speed settings are waaaaay too conservative for stock, let alone overdrive. I wouldn't even bother myself, your going to gain what...4 FPS? But if you do, set your fan to manual and crank it up about 20% or better above what it's normal LOAD setting is. Then test.

It also might be a RAM issue as well.

I would use the hotfix 9.12's. Reinstall using driversweeper to clean traces.

Specs?

Comment

You wouldn't happen to be using a 5xxx card would you?
      Because this happens to me also, it definitely isn't a temperature issue because my card is only reaching 50 degrees under max load.

POE2 Developer

Comment

I have a 5850. I don't get crashes (well, since they patched the memory leak in 1.88) in arma2 when my system is running stock. My rig is fast enough so I stopped bothering to OC it because gremlin issues would keep popping up. I work on computers all day at my job, I don't want to be troubleshooting all night at home when I only get a few hours a week to play arma2.

I would say your temps aren't accurate if your running a 5850 or better. 50 seems way too low for load. That or mabye your card is defective. Furmark it and see what happens. Another angle is mabye your power supply is choking on load.

i5 750 w/corsair h50
        Gigabyte P55M-UD2
        XFX 5850
        8GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill
        40GB Kingston SSDnow
        500GB WD Green
        OCZ Modstream Pro 600

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
          I have a 5850. I don't get crashes (well, since they patched the memory leak in 1.88) in arma2 when my system is running stock. My rig is fast enough so I stopped bothering to OC it because gremlin issues would keep popping up. I work on computers all day at my job, I don't want to be troubleshooting all night at home when I only get a few hours a week to play arma2.

I would say your temps aren't accurate if your running a 5850 or better. 50 seems way too low for load. That or mabye your card is defective. Furmark it and see what happens. Another angle is mabye your power supply is choking on load.

i5 750 w/corsair h50
          Gigabyte P55M-UD2
          XFX 5850
          8GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill
          40GB Kingston SSDnow
          500GB WD Green
          OCZ Modstream Pro 600
          5770, and I am not using a stock cooler.
          I have already done various benchmarks and it's exactly where other 5770's are.

POE2 Developer

Comment

my 5850 is a furnace. I wish I could change the auto fan delta's on it with the ATI panel.

It furmarks without crashing when overclocked? If it's only crashing arma2 when OC'd and not stock, the only other option I have is an arma2 re-re. After that I personally would simply stop OC'n it for arma. You probably can set a custom game profile to de-overclock it when you launch arma.

Edit: NOT using a stock cooler. The only aftermarket cooler I would put on is a model-specific full-coverage waterblock. Too many of these air coolers don't directly do anything for the VRM's and RAM (relying on stick-on heatsinks) or miss contact with parts of board that actually need extra cooling.

Comment

I'm using a 4870 with 1 mb ddr5.

The card is fine when OD is not employed.

My issue is that OD is supposed determine what is the best OC for your card.

After a hour of testing, its recommendation lasted 20 second in ARMA2.

I think there may be some thing in the low setting of the fan speed. I will look into it.

Comment

Unless your watercooling it, I just never believed OC'n a videocard made enough difference to justify the risk. Soft/hardmodding excepted of course, thats a different beast.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X