help: PC down for the count

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help: PC down for the count

It looks like my PC has finally kicked the bucket. I built this rig over 2 years ago and it has served me well, but the other day in the midst of a round of Qwai my screen went black and that was that. I'm trying to isolate the faulty component and just thought I would post here in case anyone else techie has an idea.

When the machine is started now, it does one of 2 things; it either powers up for 3 seconds then shuts down, or powers up but does not post, boot, or display any images on the screen. It alternates between these two actions every time you press the power button. Naturally I thought this might mean that my power supply was to blame.

I tried attaching a new power supply but got the same effect, so it seems the problem must be more widespread.

Thus far I have been able to disconnect the secondary drives, hard drives, and graphics card while still getting the same effect. When I remove the RAM the motherboard does recognize the lack of memmory and beep accordingly, however I do not have any spare DDR2 memmory to completely test this theory.

If I can't isolate the memmory as the problem it will mean that the motherboard / processor are to blame, which means I will have no choice but to perform a full system upgrade.

Help me TG PR Community... You're my only hope. :row__577:

Re: help: PC down for the count

Make sure you post in the General Forums hardware section.

That's where all the smart TG people who know about computers post.

Comment

Sounds like power supply or motherboard problem. Not much you can do but to keep swapping parts until you find out which one is causing it.
      Or just get a new rig, this is a good excuse :)
      sigpic

Comment

If you have more than one stick try only using one, switch them out and make sure none of them work. Head to Best Buy and buy some cheap DDR2 memory, if it doesn't work return it. This sounds like a memory problem to me, I'd try with that first.

Make sure to take out your video card and use onboard video, just in case. Eliminate as much stuff as you can.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

This will sound strange, but I once had this problem with a PC and all it needed was a good cleaning with a can of air duster. Might have been dust causing a short or changing some resistance somehow, but after a good dust-off everything was back to normal.

If you're having post problems and PS is swapped, I'd say next you're looking at a motherboard component, memory or CPU.

Comment

Well, it looks like it really did just need a good cleaning. I had dusted the machine once already to no effect. This time, I pulled all of the parts off the motherboard and started adding them back on one at a time, booting up each time until the machine was reassembled and running normally.

Thanks be to St. Isidore of Seville, Patron Saint of Computers.

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoJedi View Post
              Well, it looks like it really did just need a good cleaning. I had dusted the machine once already to no effect. This time, I pulled all of the parts off the motherboard and started adding them back on one at a time, booting up each time until the machine was reassembled and running normally.

Thanks be to St. Isidore of Seville, Patron Saint of Computers.
              It could even have been a loose cable or card if your machine gets bumped, but the additional cleaning and re-seating of components and cables never hurts!
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

To me, sounds like the BIOS is shut. Or some else obscure motherboard error. If that's the case not much to do about that. Tried another gfx?
                Dunno about Americas, but Norway got 3-5 year warranty on electronics.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X