New Monitor Time, suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Monitor Time, suggestions?

So, after getting over my stupid videocard problem, or maybe most of it, my MONITOR decides to start breaking. Or so I suspect. I'm having vsync issues, or at least, steady scrolling issues, even in desktop (an example would be, if i start sliding a window around, it isn't "smooth". I can see the edges flicker, and at 75hz I can see a clear refresh line scrolling slowly down the edge when I do so) Also, the scrolling is a bit jerky in games. It's not too noticeable unless i'm near an edge of a building or something, like in PR, especially, where turning around rapidly or running by the edge will cause it to jaggy in the same way.

Its either my monitor, or my motherboard, I can't decide which. (i've gone through 2 brands and 2 different models of nvidia GTX 260s and i've had the same problems, don't think i had it before my 8800 went poof in-socket with computer running)

However, my monitor cable also has a loose wire in it somewhere, which causes the display to go magenta if i don't lock it down into a position, which is slowly getting worse.

The difficulty of this assignment is.. I'm still using a CRT monitor for the better colorspace and resolutions. (Old NEC MultiSync 95, max 1600x1200)
    I use it mainly on 1024x768 for desktop and games that don't scale UI very well (EVE for example, the text is horrible small on 1600x1200, or PR's nametags and markers) But I also use it in text mode for DOS and DOS games, so the monitor needs to also be able to display 80 column mode or 320x240/640x480 modes and still be legible. This has kept me from buying an LCD.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
    <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
    DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Re: New Monitor Time, suggestions?

Go with a 24" LCD. They can be had cheap and you won"t look back. I have a Dell and I love it.
    The Old Guy
    kin3
    sigpic

Comment

Go big like I did lol. I hooked my to the 52inch LG plasma in my living room.

Comment

Originally posted by kin3 View Post
        Go with a 24" LCD. They can be had cheap and you won"t look back. I have a Dell and I love it.
        How good are the Dells at scaling to less than max resolution? That and color gamut is my major issue. My mom has a cheaper Acer monitor with 1280x1024 max res and anything other than 1280x1024 will make text fuzzy and images scale wrongly, up to being pretty unclear at 640x480.

DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Most LCD monitors do not fare well when operated outside of their native resolution.
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

what's your budget bisc?

Either way i recommend this one:
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236074

- -

Comment

Not so great, I got layed off in September, I'm thinking maybe 200-250 at the most. Way back when, I had been looking at a Samsung T240HD from work.

Can't find much of anything on CRT monitors these days which would probably be the best bet. This is my current beast of a monitor, lol. It's not the best from back then, but it's pretty nice, and at that time, cost more than the computer my mom bought for it (an old Emachines eTower 566i^2) That page says released in 2003, but we've had this since 2000-2001 or so.

Comment

There really isn't anything more superior about crt these days. Being a graphic artist i can say that LCD is the way to go!

- -

Comment

Newegg has a special on a Gateway 24" (full rez!!!!!!!!) for $179. If I had a job right now I would buy 3 of them for a triple setup.
                  Gateway FHD2401 Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 2000:1 - Retail

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X