MS-DOS question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS-DOS question

I've got lines in my autoexec.bat to get rid of all the rubbish directories that various micro$oft programs force on me ie my music, my photos and all the intrusive stuff like temp internet files and stuff.

I'm using deltree to do this, and each time autoexec invokes the command, I have to confirm it. I know for a fact that there is a way round this. It involves putting the character y in a file, and pointing to this file in each line of the autoexec.bat that invokes it.

My problem, is that I can't remember exactly how to do all this. Anyone able to help?

Cheers
    Root
    BFCL TF2 league admin

Re: MS-DOS question

Use del.exe instead?

del c:\whatever

Bam. C:\whatever and everything inside it is gone?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

rmdir C:\windows\junkfolder /s/q

this command will delete all files in the directory "junkfolder" and its subdirectories without prompting.
      it will also remove the folder "junkfolder"

to delete individual files without a prompt try
      del junkfile /q

the /q on both commands prevents the prompt from asking yes or no

This all works in windows xp, It may not work in 98 or 95.

deltree should have a parameter that will turn off the prompt... try deltree ? or deltree /? to see available parameters.
      Steam Community: | |

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
        Use del.exe instead?

del c:\whatever

Bam. C:\whatever and everything inside it is gone?
        Rmdir only has one switch, and thats for file by file confirmation.

Should there be a switch after the path Wyz? del c:\whatever only removes the files within \whatever, doesn't remove the directory, *and* asks for confirmation

Edit: Never mind thanks for your help guys, turns deltree has a switch to supress confirmation, but unlike most dos commands, this one is very picky about where the switch goes.

Cheers
        Root
        BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Originally posted by cookietester
          Rmdir only has one switch, and thats for file by file confirmation.
          Nope, Kormendi is right:
          Removes (deletes) a directory.

RMDIR [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path
          RD [/S] [/Q] [drive:]path

/S Removes all directories and files in the specified directory
          in addition to the directory itself. Used to remove a directory
          tree.

/Q Quiet mode, do not ask if ok to remove a directory tree with /S

Deltree doesn't come with XP...what kinda hacked-up OS are you on? :)

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage
            what kinda hacked-up OS are you on? :)
            Clearly a micro$oft one :D

Win98se in this case.

c:>rmdir/?
            Removes (deletes) a directory

RMDIR [drive:] path
            RD [drive:] path

No switches there. So I tried

c:\windows> rmdir /s /q temp
            Invalid switch - /s

Just to try everything, I tried

c:\windows>rmdir /q temp
            Invalid switch - /q

So I don't know what hacked up OS *you* are on ;)

Originally posted by Rampage
            Deltree doesn't come with XP
            So how are you supposed to get rid of all the intrusive directories on startup? I bet you can't get rid of index.dat in your temporary internet files directory. Nothing worse than spyware that spybot can't detect.

Cheers
            Root
            BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

I've never had a need to remove temp directories manually in XP.

I run MS Anti-Spyware and have more disk space than I've yet proven able to consume.

I remember 98se.

They're not happy memories.
              Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Clearly a micro$oft one :D

Win98se in this case.
                Ah, well you didn't mention that before. RMDIR does very different things in XP versus 98 (mainly because XP doesn't have DELTREE).

So how are you supposed to get rid of all the intrusive directories on startup? I bet you can't get rid of index.dat in your temporary internet files directory. Nothing worse than spyware that spybot can't detect.
                The question is, why would I care about getting rid of it? It doesn't meet the definition of spyware, just annoyware if I have nothing better to worry about -- but then, I could say that about the whole OS and not just one file.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                  I run MS Anti-Spyware
                  I find that term rather amusing. Hotmail has spam blocking, but you try using it to block junk from......hotmail :D

I don't like the way that windows logs everything you do. I cannot see why the content.ie5 directory has to be hidden in such a way that most users never even realise it exists.

I'm a big believer in innocent people having all the privacy they want, and between the security holes in MS products, and their built in spyware, I'll just be glad when I'm proficient enough at linux to abandon M$ for good.

Root
                  BFCL TF2 league admin

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...