AMD or Intel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD or Intel?

Currenlty I have an AMD Anthalon 4600+64x2 XP Processor 2.4ghz an it just aint cutting it no more. So 1st off what do u guys think is better to go with? I'm hopefully gonna upgrade (may get) win7 first then do proc upgrade next month. Never really upgraded b4 just always purchased a whole new pc but can't afford so I have to go this route. I'm thinking maybe this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AMD+-+Bl...&skuId=9564606 as I've used em in the past an never had any probs with AMD. What ya think? Also doing this soley for ArmA
    "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle."
    "To show you what a difference retirement makes. Last year when I gave an order, 541,000 men and women jumped," he explained. "Now I can't even get the plumber to come over."
    Norman Schwarzkopf

Re: AMD or Intel?

you might get better responses from the hardware forum, in fact i'll move this there so more people can see it :D

Comment

This is one that you alone can make because you will find people with their own preferences. Intels performance comes with a hefty price and AMD does just as well in most benchmarks but are a lot less expensive. Go to different sites that have benchmarked them and check both of them out to get real facts and figures and not peoples ideas of which is better. I have used both with equal success.

Comment

The best one for the money at this exact moment is the Core i7 920 at least in my opinion. Past the 920 the cost per performance really isn't worth it.

Best advice Tom' s Hardware Guide and take a look at their CPU charts

*Side Note I am an AMD fan boy I would love to tell you that the Phenom is better, but right now the 920 is the chip to beat... :(

Comment

Budget a good SSD first and foremost, then see what is left for the CPU.

That will make a bigger difference for you in arma2 than going from an AMD Athlon II 620 X4 (my quad budget recommendation, the faster clock dual-cores are very good for gaming too) to an i5 750 (my current chip, and best bang-for buck intel option)

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
            Budget a good SSD first and foremost, then see what is left for the CPU.

I FULLY disagree, processor before HD. HDs are EASY to upgrade and the cost per gig is dropping faster then processor prices. To upgrade a CPU normally requires a new motherboard as well, so it is a complete rebuild not just an upgrade like a new hard drive would be. If you are going to cut corners cut something easy to upgrade at a later date...

Comment

First of, I guess someone missed the deployment of the i5 750. This processor is the best bang for the buck for a higher class CPU right now on the intel side, let alone motherboard costs are much lower for a P55 than an X58.

If you just want to do a CPU upgrade you are going to have to stick with AMD unless you want to basically get a whole new system. It would be helpful to know what motherboard you have now so we can see what you can upgrade to. AMD is actually really nice and there is lots of backwards compatibility with its newer processors, so that Phenom II X4 965 could be an option.

Although your CPU is a bit lacking for ARMA I'd be interested to see what GPU you are running. As for the SSD and ARMA, I've heard that a lot of good things but SSDs are still very much an enthusiast part that are expensive. For example a new i5 750 is going to cost $200 while a good 60GB SSD is going to be about the same price. I do however recommend looking at Bamboo's upgrade guides for ARMA that he wrote a bit back.
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
                First of, I guess someone missed the deployment of the i5 750. This processor is the best bang for the buck for a higher class CPU right now on the intel side, let alone motherboard costs are much lower for a P55 than an X58.
                Yeah I did... But looking at the bench marks, for gaming I'll give it to you the 750 has some nice specs, but overall numbers I would keep with the 920 despite the $100 difference.

But then again not everyone needs the better render times like I do. People tend to recomend what they themselves would use. For me that would be the 920 hands down.

Comment

I'm a bit confused. Your question is about Intel vs AMD, but you are planning to swap out the motherboard too right? And as mentioned above, what Gfx. card are you running?
                  And FYI, that same CPU you linked above to bestbuy is $185 on Newegg, and in stock.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                    I'm a bit confused. Your question is about Intel vs AMD, but you are planning to swap out the motherboard too right? And as mentioned above, what Gfx. card are you running?
                    And FYI, that same CPU you linked above to bestbuy is $185 on Newegg, and in stock.
                    Yeah never upgraded b4 as stated above. NVidia 9800GT is my gfx, was'nt sure about having to do the motherboard as well, like I said I've always puchased new instead of upgrading but cant this time around so hoping by upgrading to a better proccessor(an MB) if needed. I got this pc in Mar 07 or spring just b4 US release of ArmA1 so thinking it's time.
                    Win Vista Home Prem/service pack2
                    HP a1730n/AMD Anthalon(tm)64x2 Dual Core Processor 4600+2.40ghz
                    4.00GB/32 bit Operating System
                    Computer was just getting by but here last cpl weeks just plane runs like chit. So
                    "It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle."
                    "To show you what a difference retirement makes. Last year when I gave an order, 541,000 men and women jumped," he explained. "Now I can't even get the plumber to come over."
                    Norman Schwarzkopf

Comment

What's his budget?

It's a bit hard to start looking at high-end parts like i5/i7 CPUs and SSDs if he has no clue how much he can afford to spend.

What is he running now and what does he want to run in the future (not just games, but other apps as well)?

This will help determine what parts would be good for him within his budget.
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                        What's his budget?

It's a bit hard to start looking at high-end parts like i5/i7 CPUs and SSDs if he has no clue how much he can afford to spend.

What is he running now and what does he want to run in the future (not just games, but other apps as well)?

This will help determine what parts would be good for him within his budget.

Living on limated inc may have to do this over cpl months. i got totally screwed over by compUSA when i got this pc(tg) the went belly up go figure as they would only sell with vista. Anyways not having a hard copy of vista an upgrading to Win7 not sure how that will all play out(less i buy full win7 version) but I'm pretty much down to this
                        http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MSI+-+Mi...&skuId=9486647 (only if I have too)
                        http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AMD+-+Bl...&skuId=9564606
                        still have to check newegg but not dure if BB will still do the install with parts from differnt co.
                        Will I be able to slap these onto my existing system with components I currently or is the motherboard somthing thast needs to be replaced to allow for the new cpu?
                        I have windows vista that came with this pc 8( an plan on buying the vista upgrade to Win7 or do i have to purchase a full copy to allow for the pc upgrade an likewise for the power supply, DDR mem 4gig,NVidia 7900 GT?
                        Thanx for the help/advice!
                        Last edited by Call911; 12-28-2009, 09:15 AM.
                        Norman Schwarzkopf

Comment

I think we are pretty confused here. Many of us anyway.
                          For one, you are linking above to a motherboard that runs Intel cpu, and an AMD cpu. The two don't work.
                          Next up, is this the computer you bought:
                          http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en...-78159005.html

Also, look at this arma2 test:
                          Armed Assault 2: Graphics card benchmarks and visual quality compared

You said you have a 9800gt, which has got to be very near the bottom of the list. It would be below the 9800gtx listed, since I believe the 9800gt is just a re-badged 8800gt if memory serves.

If you are short on funds, and as you say ARMA seems to be running worse than it used to, I think you should do this
                          1:Clean up your computer hard core. Go though and delete all unnecessary stuff. Run like UltimateDefrag and put ARMA out on the outer rim of the Harddrive. Possibily consider reinstalling ARMA2 for a fresh clean start.
                          2: Clean out the actual inside of your PC with a can of CO2. Hey, every little bit helps.
                          3: Overclock your current CPU a bit for a boost.

See how that runs ARMA2, then, if you want more:

Reinstall Vista by ordering a backup disk from HP, or seeing if there is a partition with it on your factory HD (some do that)(the link above says "Recovery partition (including possibility to recover system, applications and drivers separately); Optional re-allocation of recovery partition; Recovery CD/DVD creation tool;"). Or go with Win7.

Upgrade your gfx. card. Sure your dual core is a bottleneck, but I'm thinking your GPU is even worse. Get something like a 260 or 4870 for about $150 or maybe better with a deal.
                          Might be able to find a combo from newegg for Win7 and a good bit off the GPU.
                          But for that you need to also find out how many watts your PSU puts out. I don't see it listed at the link above for your HP.

Buy a 2nd HD (a small one for like $45) and install ARMA on it as well as all the extra stuff like music and media to clean out your OS drive as much as possible.

Last option would be to go with a CPU/Motherboard/RAM upgrade. Right now 775 is on the way out completly. At least by picking up an i5, you will have a better chance of upgrading in the future. If you go with 775 now, I have a feeling when you try to upgrade in the future it will be like trying to find a 939 cpu now. Of course we can look at an AMD combo as well. But regardless, you are looking at around $300+ for the CPU/MB/RAM upgrade. And also, don't even consider paying bestbuy to put it together for you. I or any of the other guys here can talk you through it step by step and if you check out the stickies at the top of this forum there are lots of guides with videos and pictures. If you can put legos together, you can do it yourself with a little bit of prep.

What are your thoughts so far?

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                            I think we are pretty confused here. Many of us anyway.
                            For one, you are linking above to a motherboard that runs Intel cpu, and an AMD cpu. The two don't work.
                            Next up, is this the computer you bought:
                            http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en...-78159005.html

Also, look at this arma2 test:
                            Armed Assault 2: Graphics card benchmarks and visual quality compared

You said you have a 9800gt, which has got to be very near the bottom of the list. It would be below the 9800gtx listed, since I believe the 9800gt is just a re-badged 8800gt if memory serves.

If you are short on funds, and as you say ARMA seems to be running worse than it used to, I think you should do this
                            1:Clean up your computer hard core. Go though and delete all unnecessary stuff. Run like UltimateDefrag and put ARMA out on the outer rim of the Harddrive. Possibily consider reinstalling ARMA2 for a fresh clean start.
                            2: Clean out the actual inside of your PC with a can of CO2. Hey, every little bit helps.
                            3: Overclock your current CPU a bit for a boost.

See how that runs ARMA2, then, if you want more:

Reinstall Vista by ordering a backup disk from HP, or seeing if there is a partition with it on your factory HD (some do that)(the link above says "Recovery partition (including possibility to recover system, applications and drivers separately); Optional re-allocation of recovery partition; Recovery CD/DVD creation tool;"). Or go with Win7.

Upgrade your gfx. card. Sure your dual core is a bottleneck, but I'm thinking your GPU is even worse. Get something like a 260 or 4870 for about $150 or maybe better with a deal.
                            Might be able to find a combo from newegg for Win7 and a good bit off the GPU.
                            But for that you need to also find out how many watts your PSU puts out. I don't see it listed at the link above for your HP.

Buy a 2nd HD (a small one for like $45) and install ARMA on it as well as all the extra stuff like music and media to clean out your OS drive as much as possible.

Last option would be to go with a CPU/Motherboard/RAM upgrade. Right now 775 is on the way out completly. At least by picking up an i5, you will have a better chance of upgrading in the future. If you go with 775 now, I have a feeling when you try to upgrade in the future it will be like trying to find a 939 cpu now. Of course we can look at an AMD combo as well. But regardless, you are looking at around $300+ for the CPU/MB/RAM upgrade. And also, don't even consider paying bestbuy to put it together for you. I or any of the other guys here can talk you through it step by step and if you check out the stickies at the top of this forum there are lots of guides with videos and pictures. If you can put legos together, you can do it yourself with a little bit of prep.

What are your thoughts so far?
                            Cools yea i may have miss linked a wrong proccessor i've recently done as factory restore(2 weeks) an i just purchased a US copy of ArmA2 after doin so just seems like i cant either find right settings(gfx) that i had b4 or maybe ACE/1.05 does'nt like me no more. Either way upgrading to a more powerful cpu seems ;like the best route as my current one(yes the one u linked) is not up to par any more. Sorry for the confusion I'm np techy an will have to have Best Buy do al the work, but this is the reason why i asked here was a lil advice from some people who obviously know way more about this stuff than I do. I'm also service connected thru the VA so I can only do a lil bit at a time.
                            Norman Schwarzkopf

Comment

Well tell you what. I have been meaning to put some guides together lately, and one of them is a benchmarking to find your bottleneck one. Have a ton to do the past few week and am about to run to town now, but will try and get to the guide today. It would be very worth while to run some tests to find your actual weak point before you spend any $$$$.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X