Netscape 8.0 (wow)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netscape 8.0 (wow)

It's released today. As an avid Firefox user, I was pleased to hear of how heavily Netscape 8.0 pulls from the codebase of Firefox, the greatest browser I've ever used.

I'm just not going to take the time to highlight everything, as Google (and/or a Netscape download) awaits those interested in the bloody details.

I must, however, point out the coolest damn feature in this new browser: you can effortlessly and on-the-fly switch between the rendering engines of Firefox and IE.

Take, for example, this page:

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Eco...tcomparison.do

Load that page in IE.

Now load it in Firefox.

Notice that it fails in Firefox. Such web pages are rare, anymore, but they're still annoying. For a Firefox user, it meant having to load up IE just to view that one page.

With Netscape 8.0, I press one bind on my keyboard and the page immediately reloads using the IE rendering engine. The page performs flawlessly.

Damn. That's really, really nice.
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Netscape 8.0 (wow)

Netscape 8.0 allows rendering profiles per site, meaning that you can tell the browser to "magically" use the Firefox engine for some sites (google.com, etc) while "magically" using the IE rendering engine for other sites (windowsupdate, etc).

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Do I have control over referrer settings?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Yes. It's a browser-wide setting, though... not site-specific.

Enter about:config in the location bar.
        Search for the preference network.http.sendRefererHeader.
        Modify the value to 0.

Values are:
        0 = don't send any
        1 = send only on clicks
        2 = send on image requests as well

Comment

http://ieview.mozdev.org/

I'd recommend that for firefox users worried about ie-hooked sites. I'd stay away from the AOL-infected "Netscape".

Comment

Originally posted by ----paranoid----
            That was the main reason i stopped using netscape. AOL took control.
            What do you mean "AOL took control"? There were ads or code in the program that directs you to AOL or something? Or are you just making a statement of principal because a company that you don't like has an interest in the browser?

Comment

So, after a few days, how do you like it, Wyz?
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Another good browser for those with privacy concerns is K-Meleon:
                http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/
                it's a fast, lean browser based on mozilla with a "privacy bar" you can use to easily turn on and off referrer, user agent, java script, and other things as you browse. It's pretty low level though; when you edit the toolbar, the browser actually opens a .cfg file that you can comment out or uncomment buttons in, so hardcore users only.

Related to the IE thing, it has an "Open in IE" option when you right click on a page.

I probably wouldn't recommend it for general use, but it is what I use at the office to stay clean :)

Comment

I took the day off, and it's installed at work, so I can't speak much more intelligently about than did I in my last post.

I did notice some undesireables on Thursday, though.

When you right-click on the traybar representation of the application, you're given the usual: restore, minimize, close, etc. However, you're also given a line item for each tab displaying the tab's title. The design, surely, is that clicking on that line item will give focus to the browser, displaying the tab with that title. Instead, choosing any of the line items closes the browser. I'd like a Netscape dev to look me in the face and tell me that's not a QA failure. :/

The feature which inspired this thread seems the strongest argument for me to use the browser, which isn't good. Yes, the feature's awesome, but the bloat of Netscape is a greater turn-off than is the different renderers a turn-on.

I'm familiar with ie-view, but I liked the idea of everything happening in one window. There is something to be said, though, for the pureness of ie-view's approach (loading IE independent of Firefox -- you know you're getting the "pure" IE experience).

There are other nice features in Netscape. They're niche, I think. The browser's ability to remember logins gives you three options: present logins matching the forms (from which you choose a login), fill the form automatically (using the most recently used login), or automatically submitting the form using the most recently used login. I tried the all three on a web login I authored and know to meet conventional (plainjane, vanilla) web submission standards. When I used the first two, everything went great. When I used the last, the web site returned a nasty error. I don't know what the Netscape browser is doing to automatically submit logins, but I wonder where else it might cause problems.

The browser makes it elementary to define trust profiles per site, and it's impossible to misunderstand which profile you're working with when you're on a particular site. That I like quite a lot.

Each tab has its own close button on the tab, which is a departure from my Firefox experience, where the entire tab bar has one close button on the far right. I prefer the latter, as it allows me to quickly close tabs without moving my mouse.

Extensions aren't ready for Netscape yet. I was eager to install the WebDev extension and WeatherFox, not to mention AdBlock and Sage.

--

I think it's the best Netscape yet, but I suspect I'll eventually prefer still the elegance of Firefox over the featureset of Netscape.

Comment

Netscape 8 Breaks IE XML
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

Each tab has its own close button on the tab, which is a departure from my Firefox experience, where the entire tab bar has one close button on the far right. I prefer the latter, as it allows me to quickly close tabs without moving my mouse.
                      Even easier... use the middle mouse button in firefox :)

---end of nitpick---

Comment

I knew you could open tabs with middle click. I didn't know you could close them with middle click.

Delicious. Thank you.

Comment

Netscape 8.0 relies on the IE engine - you can't even install if you have IE.

http://osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=10666

Comment

There's a typo there somewhere, micr0.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X