Steam games crash my internet, help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam games crash my internet, help!

Whenever I run an online steam game, such as DoD:S or L4D. My internet crashes, this is usually when I try and join a game.. this has never happened to me before and has just suddenly started to happen. (I havn't made any changes to my router config etc.).

I am usually able to populate a server list, which is usually the problem for most people (they get to much server data and so their router resets). However this seems not to be the case for me :(

When my internet crashes it completly resets my router and i have to restart it to get back onto the internet.

I am wirelessly using a BT homehub with a netgear usb wireless adapter.

How can i resolve this issue?

Many thanks

Re: Steam games crash my internet, help!

Firstly, welcome to TG! :)

Secondly, when you say "BT homehub" I assume "BT" is the brand of your router and not standing for "bluetooth"?

Sounds like maybe a dying router. Perhaps when the router needs to process more data, it begins overheating and thus causes a shut down and reboot?

Have you tried elevating the router at least 1-2 inches from the surface it sits on? Usually if they build up enough heat and there isn't enough dissappation (lack of airflow, vents covered by dust/table, etc), they'll do funny things like turning on/off randomly, locking up, etc.

Maybe even put a fan next to it so air is flowing in the bottom/sides and heat exhausts up through the top ventilation holes.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yes i thought it might have been my router too... but i can join any other online game with servers, such has CoD 4 or WoW... it really is just valve games. For example i can join any game on CoD 4 with 20 ms ping, but if i tried to join a DoD game my router resets..

It cant be the ports steam uses (so port forwarding wouldnt help) because i can still populate the server list.

I am really clueless on this (and so is steam apparently, i havnt had a reply on my steam support question in over a week!).

But i would appreciate any other ideas :D.

Thanks

(and thanks for the welcome :D)

Comment

Most Likely your router cant handle all the traffic?

Comment

Then why can my router handle traffic from all other games like WoW, CoD4 and CoH?

Comment

Do you have the exact brand name and model of your router?

With that info, we do some searching online to see if anyone else has had your issue (or a similar issue).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

For a long time, I had an ongoing issue with Skype disconnecting me from the wireless router whenever I tried to make a call. The problem wasn't in the router, but the computer itself -- Skype did some fairly intensive encoding computation, and my old machine (Athlon XP 1800) just couldn't take the load. You may be having issues due to your machine just being outdated. What is the setup you're running the games on?

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
              --BlackMirror
              <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
              Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
              --Blackraven93

Comment

Well my PC is alright... 2.4 GHz AMD proccessor, 512MB Nvidia Geforce GFX card. Running windows 7.

Also my router is a BT homehub 1.0 i think (white one).

This is the first time this has happened.. it all worked perfectly fine before, it's just randomly started to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by thejdcole View Post
                  Well my PC is alright... 2.4 GHz AMD proccessor, 512MB Nvidia Geforce GFX card. Running windows 7.

This is the first time this has happened.. it all worked perfectly fine before, it's just randomly started to happen.
                  Given that this has just started happening, I think the chances of it being hardware-related are very low. But IIRC, Steam has a nasty tendency of pushing out updates without getting the user's authorization or even mentioning them. Possibly a Steam client update that isn't playing nice with your network card drivers?

Speaking of which, what is your network card? Or, if you're using onboard, what is the motherboard?

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
                  --BlackMirror
                  <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
                  Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
                  --Blackraven93

Comment

Check your port forwarding. Search for Steam in the link: http://portforward.com/cports.htm

Comment

I'm using a netgear wireless usb adapter.

And i dont think the solution would be as simple as port forwarding, as i can still access the server information and poplulate a server list. So it's obviously accessing the correct port.

Comment

Originally posted by Boot View Post
                        Check your port forwarding. Search for Steam in the link: http://portforward.com/cports.htm
                        Port forwarding has nothing to do with it.
                        I've been on contact with this guy for a few days because I had the same problem myself a few weeks back.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Assuming you have tried resetting your router, do you have the same problem using a wired connection to your router?
                          That is a good way to further isolate the problem.
                          Did the homehub require a firmware update for Win 7?
                          Last edited by jb4; 01-18-2010, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thejdcole View Post

You're not alone.

Some reading.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

So basically, sounds like the old BT Homehub is on it's last legs. Time to call up BT and have them send over a replacement. (Dick's two links basically point to the same conclusion.)

Just got done reading through a few more posts. This one here was probably the most revealing. Replace the router with a new one.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X