Crackling Sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackling Sound

I just built a new PC, it went surprisingly well. My only real problem at the moment is a crackling if I use the front audio port. It's almost as if the crackling is the noise that the motherboard is making or maybe the HDD. Anyway its an Asus P7P55 LX, the writing on the port on the motherboard is AAFP. The case is an Antec 300. The front audio port has two connectors for the motherboard. One says AC'97 and the other is HDA. The manual says find out which the motherboard supports. I couldn't figure out which it did so i tried the HDA and it has crackling the AC'97 doesn't work at all. The crackling only starts when Windows boots not before. The motherboard itself supports 5.1 surround so I'm using the front speaker jack at the moment. The problem there is I get very little bass or treble. Any help would be great.

Re: Crackling Sound

audio drivers?
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

VIA Audio Driver V6.0.1.7500 oh and it's Win7 64bit.

Comment

I would start by trying a older/newer set of drivers.
        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Does that board not come with a separate soundcard or is it onboard audio?

When I built mine I installed a soundcard and had the front IO panel plugged into the AAFP HD port of the motherboard, it did work but at times my mic or sound would crap out, I figured out that the front IO panel had to be plugged into the back of the soundcard and not the motherboard. Otherwise there would be a constant conflict between the motherboard and soundcard drivers and hardware.

The reason the AC'97 does not work is probably because the "Front panel type" is set as [HD Audio] in the Bios, that port is used for either HD or AC'97 so check that, it is recommended to use the HD instead of the AC'97 according to ASUS, I think the sound is better from the HD than the standard old AC'97. :row__585:

Also check that it is plugged in properly to the motherboard and the front panel, there may also be some interference from inside the case, maybe the cable is touching a power cable or something else.
          Last edited by MrMojay; 01-14-2010, 04:07 PM.

Comment

If it is onboard, I highly recommend searching for newer drivers on the motherboard's manufacturer's website. I had crackling as well when I tried setting up my speakers as opposed to using my USB headset all the time. I downloaded latest ASUS 64 bit drivers from their website and the noise was gone :)

Comment

I'm using the newest drivers and there doesn't seem to be anything in the bios to change audio settings. I'm using onboard sound. It is plugged in correctly and even with it touching notheing the crackling is still there. I'm probably going to update the bios because apart form this apparently with P55 boards and 64bit Windows iPod touches and iPhones don't want to connect to iTunes this is to do with the motherboards in a lot of cases and seemingly mine. Some manufacturers fixed this with bios updates so I'll proabably have to update the bios anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by daithi1 View Post
                I'm using the newest drivers and there doesn't seem to be anything in the bios to change audio settings. I'm using onboard sound. It is plugged in correctly and even with it touching notheing the crackling is still there. I'm probably going to update the bios because apart form this apparently with P55 boards and 64bit Windows iPod touches and iPhones don't want to connect to iTunes this is to do with the motherboards in a lot of cases and seemingly mine. Some manufacturers fixed this with bios updates so I'll proabably have to update the bios anyway.
                That might work as some ASUS boards needed an update for the bios when the i7 socket 1366 came out first, and win7 is pretty new.

And read the manual on how to update the Bios, if that goes wrong it will be a giant headache to get the PC running.

Comment

Did you get the Via HD Audio software on your Asus utility disk?
                  The software lets you take better control over devices and settings.
                  I have the P7P55D EVO board and am using the HD connection.
                  The driver is V6.0.1.7300 and I am using Win 7 64. I will try the newer driver to see if it still works.

That helped me sort out speakers vs headphones etc.

Comment

I also had the Via HD audio software as well, but since installing my Win7 64 bit version, I haven't installed anything off the disk yet. Just the drivers Windows found automatically and the 64 bit sound drivers from the Asus website. Worth a try :)

Comment

I just installed the one from the Asus site I will see if there is anything on the disk supplied by Asus. As in I did exactly what FL1P did. Going to try and roll back the driver to previous version and I managed to switch to AC'97 in BIOS with no change. But on the plus side I did fix my iPod problem.

EDIT: Uninstalled drivers and there was still crackling then with the previous drivers there was still crackling. I've also gone and messed around with all the settings in the HD VDeck thing. With no result.
                      Last edited by daithi1; 01-15-2010, 09:52 AM.

Comment

I had the same problem (If I remember correctly, I am sure it was a audio problem though) when I installed XP 64bit with my Realtek 7.1 onboard. I never found a fix.... ended up having to install something else. Haven't had this problem on 64bit 7 RC but it could still be virtually the same problem... might try reinstalling Win 7 if you can't find a fix.

Comment

I just built a new PC, it went surprisingly well. My only real problem at the moment is a crackling if I use the front audio port.
                          Can you clarify: if you use the back audio jacks you don't get the problem?

I couldn't figure out which it did so i tried the HDA and it has crackling the AC'97 doesn't work at all.
                          There is an option in the BIOS to select HDA or AC97 for the motherboard connector.

DB
                          Last edited by Dick Blonov; 01-16-2010, 03:56 PM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                            Can you clarify: if you use the back audio jacks you don't get the problem?
                            Yes but they are 5.1 so I can't use them with just a normal set of headphones.

There is an option in the BIOS to select HDA or AC97 for the motherboard connector.

DB
                            Yup found it a while ago.

Comment

Daithi1, which power plan are you using (in the power options)?

Some people have had issues with on-board audio and EIST (. I think the W7 default power option is balanced (min processor state 5%).

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X