SSD Mounting Option???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD Mounting Option???

I just ordered an OCZ Agility 60GB SSD off zipzoomfly.com for $170 after rebate. This is the lowest price I've seen on a 60GB OCZ SSD so I thought I would pull the trigger.

I just checked newegg out and they had a 30GB Vertex as the shell shocker deal and there was an Icy Dock available for a combo purchase.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817994083

I'm thinking about ordering this to mount the new drive but I'm a little worried about the SATA connection not being direct. This seems like it could possibly be a bottle neck and slow the SSD down.

I'm just wondering if anyone has used one of the Icy Docks or if anyone knows whether or not they will slow the speed of the drive down.

Re: SSD Mounting Option???

That was stellar price. Love ZZF. Hate newegg.

I've never used them but I don't think it would interfere with the drive at all.

I've just got my agility hanging in a 5.25 bay.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

One of the reviews on newegg say "I bought an Icy Dock but SATA clips don't lock onto it like they would just the drive." I have no idea what he means.

There are other options as cheap as $6
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ng+kit&x=0&y=0

That was just a quick search. I'm sure there are lots more.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        One of the reviews on newegg say "I bought an Icy Dock but SATA clips don't lock onto it like they would just the drive." I have no idea what he means.
        That was just a quick search. I'm sure there are lots more.
        IcyDock makes different enclosures for internal and external HDs that are nice, but obviously expensive. I came across it trying to solve the same problem in the OP. In addition to the option that Bamboo posted, you can get 2.5 to 3.5 bracket kits at places like Fry's for as little as $2.99. I bought the same OCZ Agility 60 G on that sale and mounted it in my Antec 900 in just a few minutes with that $2.99 kit. There are also sites like http://www.frozencpu.com/ that have all kinds of parts, modifiers, etc if you do not have a local retail option.

Comment

this is what I am using with no problems. fits good and looks good.
          http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-003-_-Product

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. I can't wait to get this thing and see how it runs.

Newegg has the 60GB Vertex for $180 after rebate now... it's tempting to throw the Agility in my laptop and order the Vertex for the desktop :)

Chief, you've got yours in a RAID 0, does that house both your drives and allow to be run off one SATA port?
            I checked out my boot partition AFTER I ordered the Agility and I'm sitting at about 55GB with ArmA2, Crysis, AutoCAD, and Office being the major programs I have installed. I'm gonna have to do some research and figure out how to set everything up so I don't fill the thing up too quickly, otherwise I might have to go with a RAID 0.

Comment

two drives,two sata connections,one power connection.

Comment

Sounds like you're already ordered something, but for the record an SSD has no moving parts, so there will be no vibration which is the biggest reason other drives need solid mounting. Mine is in a 5.25" bay held by two screws in the side. Aesthetically it's not the best, but it does the same thing. You could also lay it in the bottom of the case without a problem, as long as you don't ship or drag your PC along to LAN parties or such.

In all, mount it if you like but you don't overpay.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X