GPU/display error checking and troubleshooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPU/display error checking and troubleshooting

I've developed a new and exciting display problem. Specific portions of the screen, when displaying graphics, start showing jagged, constantly fluctuating, lines. The problem is worst when the images are positioned on the rightmost third of the screen, either near the top or the bottom of the screen. The issue is most obvious in a browser (when looking at something like the deviantart.com front page, for example), but it appears less obviously in games as well. I've definitely noticed it to a smaller degree in the King Arthur RPG, but there's so much in the way of particle movement in that setting that it's hard to tell how bad the issue is in 3D gaming environments.

The strange part is that a single large image does not produce the same problem, even when positioned in the same part of the screen. In fact, the larger the picture is, the less distortion it appears to be subject to.

I'd just noticed similar distortion behaviour when viewing a wikipedia edit history page, of all things. Not images, but hyperlink text this time. Possibly the situation is getting worse; not sure yet.

My questions are:
    1) Have you ever heard of/come across something similar? What was the cause, and is this subject to repair or should I be looking at replacing the offending bit of hardware?

2) Can you recommend any GPU and/or display testing apps? Not benchmarking but testing -- FreshDiagnose doesn't seem to do what I want it to.

The card in question is an XFX GeForce 9500 GT which I got as a warranty replacement following the total meltdown of my XFX GeForce 8600 GT around June of 2009.

The monitor is a Hyundai L90D+, which has served me quite well these four years. I haven't swapped it out for a different one to test that side of the operation yet, so I'll update the post once I have more information.

In the meantime... Help!

Who needs a life when you can have a heavy bolter?
    --BlackMirror
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    Anything over $600, and it would be pointless to try and reason with Grandma
    --Blackraven93

Re: GPU/display error checking and troubleshooting

What, no one has ever had to error-check their graphics card?

--BlackMirror
    <23:03:38> "|TG|Smachin<BF Admin>" was kicked from the server by "|TG-70th| Zhohar" (UNDERAGE ban.)
    --Blackraven93

Comment

Well when I started to get some artifacting with my GPU it died completely within a few days. I would just stress it till it dies maybe.
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Here's a vid card stress test app.
        http://freestone-group.com/video-car...ility-test.htm

Try another video card if you have one handy. If you're getting artifacts maybe the card is overheating. Raise the fan on it. Underclock it.

Could be your ram as well. Try Memtest for that, or if you're on Windows 7, I believe that has a built in memory diagnostic.

Comment

Thanks guys. I swapped out the monitors with my wife's computer, and the problem disappeared. On both machines. I swapped the displays back and was about to chalk it up to a badly-seated DVI cable, but then the problem reappeared. Looks like having the monitor remain turned off for a few minutes resolves the issue temporarily. To my understanding, that pretty much eliminates the video card as the cause.

I can't do a truly clean test -- my wife's monitor is a widescreen 21" while mine is a regular 19", so the resolution and refresh settings would have to be altered. No way to swap video cards between the two computers either -- hers is a 7-year-old G5 Mac.

The possibility of this being a display issue is bad news. I was *really* looking forward to a new video card!

--BlackMirror
          --Blackraven93

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X