Advice on Ultra-Portables Wanted...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Ultra-Portables Wanted...

So I've was looking for an ultra-portable notebook/netbook and I had almost made up my mind to go with the Asus 1201n with the Atom n330 dual core processor, and the Nvidia Ion chipset. When low and behold HP releases the dm3-1130; AMD Neo processor, with the HD3200 mobile GPU.

Long story short, which is the better unit?

Asus 1201n on Newegg...

HP dm3-1130 at OfficeMax, Staples, BestBuy...

Regularly priced the Asus is closer to my budget... But with the retail places running the HP on sale for over $100 off (if you catch the adds right) it seems like it should be a no brainier. The dm3 has a larger HD and 4gb ram versus 2gb. But ram is cheap and HD space for me isn't really a selling point, not for what I intend the PC to be used for.

The other question since all I really need is something small that I can use to surf the web and dump a few photos too while traveling, should I maybe just get a $300 Aspire and put the $200 savings towards a the new desktop I want to build this spring?

I can't deny the thought of the Ion or the 3200 for High Def video and a little bit of gaming is tempting but is it worth it?

Anyways, suggestions, advice, thoughts, comments, all welcome...

~ Draken

Re: Advice on Ultra-Portables Wanted...

Go with the HP one if you can. I say the HP since I've played around with the 11.6" and 12" "HD" screens on the newer netbooks and I find everything is way too small for any extended use. I just can't imagine myself coding on a 12" screen with a native 1366 x 768 resolution.

At least on the HP one, you have a 13.3" screen which at least is comfortable and you won't be squinting too much when reading.

Other than that, the ION's 9400M video chipset might be just a bit more powerful than the HD3200. Neither is going to let you enjoy any current gaming title, but older stuff should be play fine at lower resolutions. People will say "CoD4 plays fine on ION", but read the posted reviews out there. In single player, it's marginally playable. Multiplayer is practically out of the question.

(And seeing how I own two netbooks, a Acer 8.9" and Asus 10", for me a higher resolution should get a larger screen size. At 1366 x 768, I think the minimal should be 13.3". 12" or the 11.6" still isn't big enough. Plus, my 19" monitor runs 1280 x 1024, so you can get a good idea of why 720p HD on a 12" screen is just too small.)
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Both are cool machines. The dm3 is pretty much exactly what I was looking for about a year ago but wanted it at about half the price point. I ended up with a HP Compaq Presario CQ60-419WM from walmart for 300. I have been quite happy with it.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
        ... but wanted it at about half the price point...
        Yeah half price would be great...

Thanks for the input guys, but I'm still waiting on the W2/tax return so I'm going to have to mill this around a little.

~ Draken

Comment

When do you expect the tax return to get back to you? If it's close to July, I'd wait until then before jumping on the purchase. You can usually get some great deals and hopefully by then, some of the newer promised dual-core netbooks will release.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks for the advice, but actually both of these are dual core, one of the reasons I was looking to spend a little extra versus just getting an $300 mini...

Comment

I meant the other dual-core netbooks from ASUS on the likes based on the Pine Trail chipset (the one with the onboard memory controller and GPU). Also supposedly ASUS is also releasing dual-core Atom 330s (or perhaps dual-core pine trail atoms) with the new ION2 platform this summer (at least according to the leaked info posted elsewhere).
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X