Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German government: Say no to Internet Explorer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm

The German government has warned web users to find an alternative browser to Internet Explorer to protect security.

The warning from the Federal Office for Information Security comes after Microsoft admitted IE was the weak link in recent attacks on Google's systems.
    However, Graham Cluley of anti-virus firm Sophos, told BBC News that not only did the warning apply to 6, 7 and 8 of the browser, but the instructions on how to exploit the flaw had been posted on the internet.

"This is a vulnerability that was announced in the last couple of days. Microsoft have no patch yet and the implication is that this is the same one that exploited on the attacks on Google earlier this week," he said.

Computer expert Alan Stevens: "It's like having a window left open in your house"

"The way to exploit this flaw has now appeared on the internet, so it is quite possible that everyone is now going to have a go."
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: German government: Say no to Internet Explorer

More details about a hole in the old DOS VM system:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...m_campaign=rss

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Technica
      ...that 64-bit versions of Windows, including Windows Server 2008 R2, are not affected.
      Yay for my switch to 64-bit Windows 2 years ago. :)
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yep, the same thing that makes it impossible to run old 16 bit games also protects you from 16 bit holes in security.

Comment

IE sucks... plain and simple.

its basically, anything BUT IE

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
            Yep, the same thing that makes it impossible to run old 16 bit games also protects you from 16 bit holes in security.
            Yes and it's sad if I ever want to play any 16-bit games again. (will have to resort to XP in a VM.)
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Or you could run them in a Linux DOS box. And unlike Windows you can run many flavors of Linux from a Live CD, so you don't have to disrupt your regular hard disk setup to try out Linux. (Not you, AA, but those who are a bit more "OS conservative" ;))

Comment

Yeah, I could just throw a DOS VM onto my Ubuntu partition on my netbook if I wanted to do any 16-bit gaming (or even on the XP partition). I just haven't felt any need to play the few 16-bit games I do have.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X