New Creative Sound Cards on the Way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Creative Sound Cards on the Way

Just a heads up for anyone about to buy a new sound card. Might want to wait for more details about some new Creative cards about to hit the market:

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD and X-Fi HD - additional specifications

I have a feeling they are going to be a lot more than the X-Fi Gamer card, but depending on your needs, this might be a good option.

Hopefully the drivers will keep up with the new cards :row__577:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: New Creative Sound Cards on the Way

Again I wonder... Do we even need dedicated sound cards anymore? What are the advantages offered?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I could tell a difference between my onboard and the X-fi gamer when I put it in the first time. But then again, I also spent a lot extra on the headphones. If someone is running a $30 headset, then yeah, might not make too much of a difference.

It might also take some of the pressure off the CPU.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Some games benefit from the sound card taking the load, and a few take advantage of features that aren't available on the on board sound.

The first release of the MWLL Crysis mod for example used a channel for each object in the game (including hundreds of missiles being fired at once). Many on board sound cards have less channels available.

The sound card may also provide additional connections that an on board doesn't, like optical outs or better input methods.

*I use on board sound myself since I use headphones, and the second MWLL release fixed my maxed out channels issue which is the only one I ever ran into :)
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I have to say there is a noticable difference between onboard and my HD 280s + asus xonar essence. It is pretty costly though and the price to performance(?) is quite a bad ratio since the difference isn't crazy. If you're an audiophile then it's pretty easy to pickup the difference between onboard and dedicated but if all you do is use a $20 headset or cheap speakers you won't notice anything.

The EAX (DS3D GX on asus cards) also makes a noticeable difference inside of games as it boosts the ambient noises' effects and immerses you in a greater way. Playing through a couple of my games with and without DS3D GX enabled had a very noticable difference that is worth it if you value audio to help with immersion.

There are also other controls that sound cards allow you to do such as adjust the equalizer settings, set bass to read off of certain frequencies, mic adjustments for karaoke and vocal effects, etc...

One of the features I love about the asus card is the SVN (Smart Volume Normalization) in games. It adjusts the volumes of independent sounds to attempt to mimic how the human ear works. It's hard to find any real info on it around the web but from what I've found it will basically increase ambient sounds when nothing is going on and decrease them when there is lots of action. It of course is much more complex than that but that is the simplest way of explanation.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

I love my sound card, I can not do without it as it gives me a huge advantage in game, and the surround sound performance of my XFI Titanium is great. But this move annoys the hell out of me as Creative still owe people good drivers for W7. My card is great in W7, but it was FAR FAR superious in XP, better sound, better set up, better integration FRAPs and just better effects in game. BUT to get it WORKING in W7 I was in the registry, I was using 3rd person software JUST to get the XFI game/movie/editoer program to work. Still no support for EAX 5.0 in the software in W7 but their was in XP. For shame............

Comment

But jeepo, remember a lot of that has to do with the way Win Vista and 7 drivers are allowed due to MS trying to appease Copyright Mafia.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

A bump and a heads up. New Creative driver came out mid-January for Vista/W7 and they have solved a few issues I had. Many games would simply not recognise my card, like BF2 PR. It would not recognise the card so I could not get full EAX or even 5.1 properly. I installed the small fix and WOW! Do my headphones sound even better! Initially I was using a optical connection, and will tinker with it tomorrow to ensure it is working with this driver. I am currently hooked up via analogue connection and it is so sweet, I can not imagine how it would get clearer. No more simulated 5.1 on my 5.1 headphones, now I get full EAX and 5.1 surround. Drivers are for ALL creative products, worth a DL. I use the X-Fi Titanium. Ran into just one problem (thats good for creative) in that I was unable to quickly set my mic to work, but I literally had to DL and run so will attempt that again tomorrow too. I am 100% confident I can do it, simply a connection in the wrong slot.

File Name : PID_W7PCAPP_US_2_11_01.exe
                This update resolves the hardware/device detection issue for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ and X-Fi Titanium series of audio devices in Microsoft® Windows® 7. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

This download supports the following audio devices only:

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty® Champion Series
                Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
                Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Professional Audio
                Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
                Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
                Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
                Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
                Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
                Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
                Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty
                Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
                Sound Blaster X-Fi
                Fixes:

Resolves the hardware/device detection issue in Creative Software AutoUpdate running on Windows 7.
                Requirements:

Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 7 32-bit
                Sound Blaster X-Fi and X-Fi Titanium series of audio devices listed above
                Notes:

To install this driver
                Download the file onto your local hard disk.
                Double-click the downloaded file.
                Follow the instructions on the screen.
                Download LINK

Seems like these drivers have finally gave me FULL X-Fi functionality, something I only ever had in Windows XP.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X