Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for Mom to upgrade

Her 4.5-year-old XP box is ill.

She needs word processing and the Internet. She's used to machines that aren't the fastest when they're new (because she spends smaller amounts). I'd like to get her into Win7 for less than $400 (she doesn't need a new monitor).

Any recommendations?
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Re: Time for Mom to upgrade

Do you need a copy of win 7 (oem style) or do you already have a copy or can get it for cheap (MSDN, student discount)?

Does she need a large HDD or just something like a basic 160GB drive?

I bet a nice Athlon II would do nice although intel has some nice cheap 775 chips around now, let me throw something together...
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

You know, you could just get a MSI Windbox, a hard drive, 2 GBs of DDR2 RAM, and a USB WiFi adapter and she'd have a nettop for word processing, surfing the web, etc for around $280 (OS not included). Tack on a OEM copy of Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit) for another $90 and you should be good to go. Alternative, you can throw on one of the many great distros of Linux.

(BTW, I'm still itching to build the above nettop since my AA1 netbook died. Such a temptation!)
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'll present two builds just in case you like AMD or Intel more

Common Parts:
        WINTEC 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 $38.99 + $5.99

Western Digital 160GB 7200 RPM $39.49 + $7.28

Rosewill RV350 350W $24.99 + $5.99

Rosewill R220-P-BK $29.99 + $9.99

Win 7 64-bit $105

Current cost $267.70 (includes shipping)

AMD Path:
        AMD Athlon II X2 240 2.8GHz $58.99

MSI 785GTM-E45 $69.99 + $2.99

Total Cost: $399.67

Intel Path:
        Intel Celeron E3200 2.4GHz $49.99

ASRock G43Twins-FullHD G43 $74.99 + $7.56

Total Cost: $400.24

I guess either of these could be tweaked a little bit if necessary but both systems are going to tear apart an atom system, I wouldn't waste my time unless you really don't want to spend the cash.
        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Thank you for the replies.

Assume I've got a copy of Win7 waiting for her already. The more I think about it, given what's going on with her these days, and what's going on with me these days, I don't want to build. I want to buy.

Given that, what pre-built system would you recommend under $500?
          Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Are you looking for something small or a regular tower?
            Dell Mini HD: http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/deskt...cs=19&ref=dthp
            Dell Studio Slim ($600 version will last her forever for her needs): http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/deskt...cs=19&ref=dthp

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak View Post

Given that, what pre-built system would you recommend under $500?
              A nice netbook with a keyboard and mouse of her choice. Unless she's doing some hardcore word processing, in which case she'd do well to get a full size monitor, too.
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X