I've got some monitor problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got some monitor problems

Yesterday, after returning from lan-party, I decided to clean out my computer. I did so pretty carefully with a vaccuum cleaner at a low power. When I hooked my monitor up, it gave a "no signal" message. Afraid I might have broken something, I checked the inside of my computer carefully, but I'm almost certain that everything is connected and nothing is broken. So I started testing. I tried a smaller monitor, which worked. So I switched back, and the original worked, at the smaller monitor's resolution. Trying to change it back just causes the monitor to stop working again. I tried my sister's monitor, which has the same resolution, and it worked. After switching to my original, it worked at its normal resolution. However, today, it had the same problem. After doing the same tests over again, I've figured out that the problem is my monitor, for whatever reason, is unable to show anything if the resolution is set while it's hooked up. However, knowing the problem isn't the same as fixing it, and I have no idea how to fix it. So I've turned to you. Do you guys have any idea how to fix this, or do I have to invest in a new monitor(or a new graphics card)?

Re: I've got some monitor problems

Yeah, I would look at the monitor as the problem...

A few things to check;

Refresh Rate: LCDs can give you major issues if the refresh rate is not correct.

Monitor Cable: I know you said you tried diffrent resolutions, and diffrent monitors, but did you try a diffrent cable?

Did you borrow a monitor while at said LAN party or did you move yours around? (trying to get an idea of what could have caused it) Also what monitor do you have? (make and model)

Comment

The refresh rate is what it should be, that was one of the first things I checked. The monitor cable is also something that I thought of, however, I unfortunately don't have a spare at the moment. I don't believe I moved the screen around too much, other than to get it there and back. I didn't have the packaging, though, which meant I had to carry it in a bag. I don't remember it being hit or jolted by anything, except that it might have moved around a bit during the ride there. The monitor's a Viewsonic vx2025wm.

Comment

Never use a vacuum, it creates a static charge that will do very bad things in a computer. Always use canned compressed air outside. I don't recommend using an air compressor unless you have a very good filter and moisture trap on it.

Unplug -everything- and reset your bios. Then plug it all in and power it back up, hopefully if it is a resolution/refresh rate issue it will have been reset back and will auto-search a compatible one. Also check your cable for damaged pins. It happens.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X