Anyone use Xeno Lag Killer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use Xeno Lag Killer?

I was wondering if anyone here at TG uses it?
    http://www.bigfootnetworks.com/killer-xeno-pro/

And if any PR and ARMA players frequent this forum will help with some of the insurgent maps, or ARMA Gameplay? And overall if anyone in general has it, and if the results are favorable?
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Anyone use Xeno Lag Killer?

There's a general consensus that these cards do provide a small benefit to lag reduction, but that benefit is so very very small it's not worth the money you'd drop on the card. Buy an SSD - that'll really reduce your lag.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

uhhh......randy, did you get rich all of a sudden and not tell bamboo?
      If you didn't win the lottery, forget about the card and spend your money elsewhere.
      Search the forum here for something like "bigfoot" and some other names associated with the company and you will see the older threads.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
        If you didn't win the lottery, forget about the card and spend your money elsewhere.
        Search the forum here for something like "bigfoot" and some other names associated with the company and you will see the older threads.
        If he did win the lottery, I want a few hundred dollars. :row__642:

Seriously, that card is probably the biggest marketing ploy ever. You'll see maybe at most a 10 ms reduction in your overall ping times.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Heh, I don't think it takes a lottery win to afford a Killer Xeno Pro.

Anyway, I do work for Bigfoot Networks, the developers of the card - just to keep that in the open and cleared up. Generally speaking, our tests show that the Xeno can be pretty useful for online gaming - reducing ping, but (in my opinion) more importantly making your gameplay smoother. That is, less lag spikes, hitching, etc... which can be a real drag in an online game. You'll notice it largely during high intensity situations, which is where it matters,and where most lag spikes are going to happen.

There are third party sources that have also done research on the card, such as the one done by John Peddy Research. Admittedly, not every review is sunshine and rainbows for us - largely because our initial driver release could have been better. But, that's been fixed up substantially, and customer feedback from the last few months has been very positive. Also something we've learned a lot from, to say the least.

With that said, since you're looking for gamers who use the card, a number of big name pro gamers in eSports make use of it. Probably one of the most vocal being Raz, who was the CoD4 world champion.
          Arrakiv
          Community Manager
          Bigfoot Networks

Comment

Welcome to TG Arrakiv. Glad you found our corner of the web.

There is not too much affinity for pro gamers in and around the TacticalGamer community. They sort of represent the antithesis of what the TG community is all about.

Good try though.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post

There is not too much affinity for pro gamers in and around the TacticalGamer community. They sort of represent the antithesis of what the TG community is all about.
              I don't know about that Grunt. I'm thinking the 10th squad could go legit if there was a ProjectReality Tournament. :row__577: :row__577: :icon19:

But really, it is amazing how fast things that get posted in the TG forum go to the top of a search in Google. For instance google "Xeno Lag Killer" and we are the 2nd result, even before the BigfootNetwork homepage. :icon_eek:

Same thing happened the other day when we were talking about a certain kind of sunglasses in the General forum. I googled to find the company home page, but TG's thread was already above it in the results.

I have to say I'm impressed that the company man above took the time to post. It might be his job, but still. And there is a video out that I saw a while back, and just noticed is on the Bigfoot page:
              http://www.bigfootnetworks.com/
              It is interesting, and had my mental gears turning the first time I saw it.
              But in Anandtech's detailed review :EVGA Killer Xeno Pro: The Impact of Network Offloading, they said in the final words:
              So the reason I said above about winning the lottery is yeah, it might give you a tiny boost for a better ping, but I don't know any TG guys that have $100 to spend on this type of boost, instead of say a higher end gfx. card. This past summer for instance $100 meant a 4850 or moving up to a 4870.

Now, I will add that anandtech's review was done in July, and Arrakiv posted above that better drivers have been released. I would really like to see Anandtech do a look back and retest the card.
              Maybe Bigfoot needs to get in touch with Anandtech and other review sites and send them another test unit.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post

Good try though.
                Meh, worth a shot. :-P Really, I can understand that standpoint (much as I find them interesting).

Good to stop by the site though - although it isn't the first time I've stumbled on through (even if I haven't ever registered/posted before).

As to the review though, I suspect that we'll be getting newer reviews in the next few months.
                Arrakiv
                Community Manager
                Bigfoot Networks

Comment

Nah, not even close, but I was looking at PC Magazine's 2010 review of desktop gaming computer (I refuse to even think about getting a laptop), and even though I don't have any cash for a gaming rig, I was looking to see what are some of the new things being included in them.

I have never heard of Xeno, so I thought i'd ask you guys about it.
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                  Level I HazMat Technician
                  NYS EMT-B
                  Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                  RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                  Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                  Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                  We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Where, exactly, does the NPU hook into the Windows network stack? It says it replaces all of it, but does that mean it replaces all protocol handers? Most games deal in UDP, which doesn't require that much work to encapsulate in IP and Ethernet frames and pass on to a NIC. Doing the encapsulation on the card might save a couple of buffer copies, but how much time does that take?

Does the NPU also take over SMB and other protocols? Someone obsessed with performance might want to disable everything but TCP/IP.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Don't know if everyone has heard, but Bigfoot is about to release a new model. Tests say it works, but again, it is about $130
                      Bigfoot Networks Killer 2100 reviewed, 'completely destroys' on-board NICs

Of course they don't have any real gaming tests or anything, so reserve your judgment till then.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

MaximumPC just posted about it as well, and I wanted to post a link mainly for the comments on the page:
                        Bigfoot Networks Releases another Killer NIC

The post by Orgus got me thinking about my own cabling. Right now I'm using the cheapest of cheap Cat5 that I have no clue how old. I just grabbed it out of a box of Cat5 cables I've collected over the years. I wonder if I would see any difference at all by buying a new Cat6a Certified Patch Cable. A 25ft cord is only about $25 on Amazon.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

The post by Orgus got me thinking about my own cabling. Right now I'm using the cheapest of cheap Cat5 that I have no clue how old. I just grabbed it out of a box of Cat5 cables I've collected over the years. I wonder if I would see any difference at all by buying a new Cat6a Certified Patch Cable. A 25ft cord is only about $25 on Amazon.
                          It depends on how much data you move around and how far you are away from your hub. If you move a lot of data and are pretty far from the hub, the faster 500/550 Mhz CAT6 cable would offer a noticeably faster transfer than a 350 Mhz CAT5e cable.

In the long run, you most likely won't notice any difference between the two cables unless you have some serious enterprise-level networking hardware with all the right settings and optimizations.

If you still want to buy a 25-foot CAT6 cable, buy it from Monoprice for $3.84 + $2.99 s/h. You're overpaying greatly at Amazon. (Yes all the cables in that list are CAT6a, not the old 250 MHz normal CAT6.)
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X