No announcement yet.

Video Card Question (Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell:Conviction)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card Question (Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell:Conviction)

Here's the deal, I finally got rid of my 360 (after the 4 RROD) a few months back and jumped over to the ps3. The only games I'm going to want to play that aren't ps3 are Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction. So I was wondering what would be a good video card to get for those 2 games. I checked the systemrequirementslab "canyourunit" app and supposedly im good on all accounts other than a video card.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Operating system
    Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz
    6.00GB of ram

Any help is extremely appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Video Card Question (Mass Effect 2 and Splinter Cell:Conviction)

According to, the PC requirements for Mass Effect 2 are:

Originally posted by Joystiq
    PC MINIMUM System Requirements

* OS = Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
    * Processor = 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU
    * Memory = 1 GB RAM for Windows XP / 2 GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
    * Hard Drive = 15 GB
    * DVD ROM = 1x Speed
    * Sound Card = DirectX 9.0c compatible
    * Direct X = DirectX 9.0c August 2008 (included)
    * Input = Keyboard / Mouse
    * Video Card = 256 MB (with Pixel Shader 3.0 support). Supported Chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater; ATI Radeon X1600 Pro or greater. Please note that NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 8100, 8200, 8300, 8400, and 9300; ATI Radeon HD3200, and HD4350 are below minimum system requirements. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required. Intel and S3 video cards are not officially supported in Mass Effect 2.

PC RECOMMENDED System Requirements

* Windows XP SP3 / Windows Vista SP1 / Windows 7
    * 2.6+ GHz Cure 2 Duo Intel or equivalent AMD CPU
    * 2 GB RAM
    * ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, or better recommended
    * 100% DirectX compatible sound card and drivers
    * DirectX August 2008
    So going off of the recommended spec, anything from a nVidia 8800GT or a ATI HD4830 and above will run the game nicely on most resolutions. Ideally, you'd want a 512 MB card or higher. Most people here have a 1 GB HD4870 or a 1 GB GTX260/GTX260+. They both run about $150-$180 now on

As for Conviction, no PC specs have been released. You'll have to wait until the developer leaks the requirements. Too hard to speculate at this point.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Ya those 2 are the ones I was looking at. I don't need anything too fancy due to the majority of my gaming is on the ps3 now and the pc is used for work more than anything now. And I figure anything that Mass Effect 2 would work with would also be good for Conviction, but like you said it's just speculation. Thank you very much for the reply.

If you buy a new card right now dont go for older cards get a DX11 card.

But if you want an older card buy a used on from somebody local on craigslist, you can get much better deals on those older cards used.

If you want a new card, look at the ATI 5 series card. You can get a 5850 for around 220 if you look for deals at That card would give you DX11 and awesome performance in any game. If 200 is to much look at the 57XX series.

One thing you should know is that Nvidia is coming out with their new DX11 cards in March and that would change the whole dunamic and most likely pricing.

Another tip connect that new card to your big screen TV and your playstation will be collecting dust, the xbox and PS3 is just so inferior to PC graphics. If they didnt have the exclusives I would get all the games on PC.
        |TG-Irr| Red

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed