XFX HD5770 - Help Needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XFX HD5770 - Help Needed

With Bad Company on the horizon and a current video card that won't cut it, last week I ordered a new XFX HD5770, by ATI to replace my existing FireGL V5200.

Following the SOP for a new video card, I removed all old video drivers before install, took the time to blow the dust out of my case, I had to rearrange my HDs to make the card fit as it was a half inch too long with the power cable running from the Power supply... Needless to say I dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's.

Mobo failed to post...

Rechecked all connections, three times

Mobo still failed to post...

Reset Bios (just in case)

Mobo still failed to post...

Re-installed old GPU, Bios Posted, no problems.

So what did I miss?

Hardware Requirements for the HD5770 are PCI-E 16x, 1gb memory and a 450 watt power supply that is about it. Okay I have that so why wouldn't it post?

I know I have an older board, but it still should have worked, what did I overlook?

Any advice welcome

~ Draken

System Specs:
    Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Crossfire Compatible Mobo
    3 gb Corsair DDR
    AMD 4800 x2 (2.4 ghz)
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Rosewill 500 watt PSU (CrossFire and SLI capable)

Re: XFX HD5770 - Help Needed

Sure you attached the 6pin?

POE2 Developer

Comment

I would guess its PSU related. I was having issues when I moved over from my E6750 to an i5 750 my PSU failed on me and didn't have enough juice to handle the new processor (despite it being a 700W PSU). It just would not start properly. All the fans started up and everything but nothing after that.
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenPirate View Post
        Sure you attached the 6pin?
        Yeah I heard it click (on both ends)

Alright since two of you have pointed towards the PSU I'll try to take a second look there. Still waiting on a response from xfx support :(

Thanks Both.

Comment

Question Removed...

EDIT: Apparently I'm just ill informed as the pin configuration has nothing to do with what is being done, the Six pins for a PCI-E are literally just three Commons (black) and three +12v DC (yellow) so it really doesn't matter...
          Last edited by DrakenViator; 01-28-2010, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Alright tested the PSU with a volt meter... Everything checks out as far as I can tell.

PSU calculations puts me at about 350 to 400 watts used with the current configuration (using the new GPU) so I should be fine there, but I really don't have a good way to test my power supply under load.

I'm down to it has to be a compatibility issue or it's DOA. I'm going to see if I can't use a friends PC to test the card for DOA.

+24 hours and no response from XFX :(

Comment

See this article about the card and go to the bottom of the page(Article index) and click on "Power Consumption & Temperatures".

http://www.techspot.com/review/209-a...70/page11.html

Comment

Card worked with my brothers i7 no problems...

So is it the CrossFire 3200 chipset or PSU?

Still trying to figure that one out

Still no response from XFX :(

EDIT... Well I just found 'certified' CrossFire results using the A8R32-MVP and a HD2600XT... If that is as far as they went, my board is older then I thought!

Comment

Got a response from XFX
                  Hi, we`ve some issues with older chipsets where they cannot recognize the newer 5 series radeon cards. It`s usually the 5 series ati chipsets and it looks like that board has the 580 ati series chipset. So it`s possible there is an incompatibility with the motherboard and the card. Try the card in a newer motherboard and see if it works.
                  So now what? New graphics card or new computer?

EDIT: Look I know that there are thousands of different motherboards out there, but I just noticed that he said I should have the 580 north bridge, but my board uses the Xpress 3200... :(

Comment

I checked your board out online and its a rather old one(at least 4 years old) that uses ddr memory, not ddr2 and the southbridge is 575, the series they mention as being incompatible. Looks like new motherbaoard and memory time.

Comment

Not entirely sure, but isn't the Xpress 3200 a 'basement bargain' chipset?
                      Maybe it just can't handle the bandwidth or something.

It's not the RAM because I am using a 5770 with DDR400 RAM also.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Its a "legacy" board considered outdated by the manufacturer so probably no updated bios and the southbridge is the series that they said had incompatibilites.

Comment

Yeah it's a few years old, but no 'bargain basement' she was top of the line in her day! The problem is that it is a 939 CPU chipset, so I'll need a new Processor, Motherboard, Memory, and well a whole new PC... I'm going to see if I can't find a cheep 4000 series GPU just to see if I can get my mobo to work with something newer. Well I guess my plans for a ultra-portable have been shot to #$%^& so it's time to look at a new desktop.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X