Apple iPad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple iPad

You knew it was coming. The thread about the Apple iPad. I figured I'd give it 24 hours to see all the reviews and thoughts on sites like Engadget and Gizmodo, etc., and give everyone time to digest it all.

For those that haven't been hitting f5 constantly, here is a good link to hit:

Apple iPad launch day roundup: everything you need to know

Also, my man Jeepo linked us into this article:
    8 Things That Suck About the iPad
    Does bring up some very good points. But it would depend on the user.
    And just last week we were talking about Adobe Flash being on the way out with HTML5 and open video format coming.

This was just posted a few mins. ago on Giz
    Adobe Responds to the iPad's Lack of Flash

And of course there are tons of other articles out on every news outlet.

I already posted this in my 10th forum, so might as well throw my thoughts out:

I'm going to help my mom buy one. She is currently living with my grandparents to help take care of them. They are in their 90's, but still very interested in learning. I showed them my Iphone at Christmas, and my grandmother was blown away that I could zoom in on google maps and look at their house. All the other little apps she was amazed by too. She has asked about email, and I think should would love to use the internet to look up bird and nature stuff.
    My granddad is pretty smart for someone that never really went to school. He reads constantly, and is always watching like discovery and discovery science channel.
    I have wanted to get them a computer, or give them one of my old ones. But I just don't see them going to one of the spare rooms and sitting and using a computer. Not to mention how complicated it would be to try and teach them how to keep it working right, using the keyboard and mouse all the time and stuff.

The ipad on the other hand is just a giant Iphone, and there is nothing really they can screw up. Can't actually download a virus (at least yet), don't need to defrag or anything. And it is super light and can just sit in their lap while they are in the living room. Would be super easy to teach how to use with the big keyboard and buttons on screen. I could see this kind of sale being a huge thing for apple.

Then I get home, and it comes on NBC nightly news, and Kim and I are watching. At the end Kim says "we have to get one of those". Blew my mind. I was sure she would be like everything else, including my iphone, and not care. But she started going on about carrying it around at work and on her work trips instead of her laptop.
    To add to that, I have to say I hadn't even thought about not being able to watch Hulu or play on Kongregate, both of which I do everyday. Watching Hulu would be AWESOME on something like the Ipad. Too bad.

It is pretty interesting the deal they will do with AT&T though, with the 2 levels of service and no contract required. Say your going on a trip. Would come in handy to just pay $30 for an unlimited month so you can have internet access. But then again, I'm so sick of AT&T right now I'm thinking of dropping them in a few months when my contract is up. I love my Iphone, but it's useless if it doesn't work. I even dreamed of suing for false advertisement due to the constant bombardment of those evil Luke Wilson commercials. They are so full of crap.

So what I want to know is what TG's thoughts are? Can you see a use in your life for it? Are you already wondering where to send the pre-order? Going to hook up any relatives?

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: Apple iPad

The fact that it took until today for a post to be made about it may pretty much sum up people's enthusiasm about it...

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

The wife has a ipod Touch and likes it. This might be a replacement for it as it seem to be the Touch only bigger. But at those prices I might get a small laptop.
      The Old Guy
      kin3
      sigpic

Comment

You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.
        No Flash

It's Not Widescreen
        Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!
        Those three are the big things for me.

Could you imagine Dell or Microsoft putting out something that will cost as much as this thing will with those three things above? They would, rightly, be laughed at and ridiculed.

I know the iPhone (and touch) had some glaring weaknesses to start with but they still where heads and shoulders above all other phones out there.

This thing will be competing with net-books and laptops.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

My thought: Garbage.

The iPhone is much better than the iPad and if you don't need the phone just grab the touch. The iPad isn't revolutionary at all, it's basically a blown up iPhone minus a few features to make it worse.

I'd take a netbook or any other tablet over this garbage any day.

Damnit Blizzard, fix ZvT already >.<
          In Soviet Russian, Arma admins are nice to you!

Comment

My itouch i can hold in one hand and browse with the other, it's small. But the ipad is big so you have to rest it in your palm or somewhere to use it. Sure it's more comfortable to surf with than a laptop, but it's pricey. And the iphone os 3.2 has from what i read limits to what you can do with it, such as listening to netradio while reading. So until it's cheaper i don't really see the need to get on when i already have a laptop.

Comment

After listening to some of the fanboys (and girls) gush about this thing I have come to the following conclusion:

Steve Jobs could walk up on stage, drop his pants and dump a steaming load. The crowd would stand up and cheer wildly. Each would gather around the pile and marvel at the pure beauty of it. Comments would be heard over the commotion about how the smell is more than anybody could have expected.

Later those fan boys would each get a taste of the product and the raving would continue. "How can Apple make such wonderful chocolate ice cream that is also warm!?!"

A few would question the product. They would throw up when they tasted it and the fanboys would criticize that fool for not realizing how great the product was. The fanboys would say that that fool barfed only because they are to techy and are not cool enough to recognize perfection when it was presented.

Nobody knew they needed the load but now that they have experienced it they had to have a big pile. Maybe TWO!

But it is still just crap.
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs&feature=player_embedded[/media]

My friend send this to me after my first class of the day. it is a Mad TV skit on the iPad. Not sure if it is NSFW, but just take caution. It certainly made my day :)

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                  After listening to some of the fanboys (and girls) gush about this thing I have come to the following conclusion:

Steve Jobs could walk up on stage, drop his pants and dump a steaming load. The crowd would stand up and cheer wildly. Each would gather around the pile and marvel at the pure beauty of it. Comments would be heard over the commotion about how the smell is more than anybody could have expected.

Later those fan boys would each get a taste of the product and the raving would continue. "How can Apple make such wonderful chocolate ice cream that is also warm!?!"

A few would question the product. They would throw up when they tasted it and the fanboys would criticize that fool for not realizing how great the product was. The fanboys would say that that fool barfed only because they are to techy and are not cool enough to recognize perfection when it was presented.

Nobody knew they needed the load but now that they have experienced it they had to have a big pile. Maybe TWO!

But it is still just crap.

lol! my thoughts exactly, well almost anyway

Comment

Steve Jobs could walk up on stage, drop his pants and dump a steaming load. The crowd would stand up and cheer wildly. Each would gather around the pile and marvel at the pure beauty of it.
                    Wait a sec...........
                    are you saying you have an inside source that works at apple and is telling you their next big product is the iPoo? I have to post this all over the net RIGHT NOW!!!!!!! Can your "friend" get an extremely fuzzy/grainy picture of it for us? The fuzzier the better. I mean even if he can get a shoot of it with a DSLR, can he photoshop some blur and distortion in for us? :madsmile: :row__577:

Really though, Gizmodo posted a new article last night that hit on exactly what I was saying from the moment I saw it:

The Apple iPad Is For Old People

Hell, maybe I should apply for a staff position at a tech site. :row__690:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

But what will old people say when they follow a link to a video of their grand kids that requires flash?

(I don't mean to sound like a tech grump. I think this thing will make the idea legitimate and allow other companies to make a product I like. This is good.)

Comment

I think the iPad will help revitalize the publishing industry. Digital subscriptions to magazines and newspapers and reading textbooks finally make sense with such a device. Although these types of digital media have been around for a while, they haven't made many inroads because the user experience and form factor have not been there.

I have to say, I'm pretty bummed about the lack of a front-facing video camera, however.
                        Twisted Firestarter
                        a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                        sigpic

Comment

Flash support is only a problem in the very, very short term. It's one of the last bastions of old internet proprietary formats. It is beginning to be eclipsed and will eventually be replaced by HTML5 (woo for standards!).

And regardless of any of this, most of youtube is already available in h264 format which can be played on the iPhone/iPad/iPod.

But what will old people say when they follow a link to a video of their grand kids that requires flash?

(I don't mean to sound like a tech grump. I think this thing will make the idea legitimate and allow other companies to make a product I like. This is good.)
                          Twisted Firestarter
                          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                          sigpic

Comment

I will probably get a couple of them to use as custom touch interfaces for music. Especially performing live electronic music, using apps like touchOSC, which will undoubtedly get an update to address more screen.

I don't think a lot of people get how much of a game changer this actually is. I don't really give a hoot about the "iPod++" aspect of it. I'm sure they will sell a lot of them to people who will use it as an internet device, and I'm sure it will be an awesome one. For those of us, however, that do creative stuff with our iPhones, etc. I think its going to be awesome. A large, programmable multitouch surface @ $499 is great.

People also shouldn't forget the massive amount of developers who have bought into the app store. This gives the device a pretty convincing critical mass, in terms of available software.
                            Do or do not, there is no try....
                            -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted_Firestarter View Post
                              Flash support is only a problem in the very, very short term. It's one of the last bastions of old internet proprietary formats. It is beginning to be eclipsed and will eventually be replaced by HTML5 (woo for standards!).

And regardless of any of this, most of youtube is already available in h264 format which can be played on the iPhone/iPad/iPod.
                              +1000.

Flash is a blight. Its about the only thing that crashes anymore in my day to day computing. HTML5 is the way forward.
                              Do or do not, there is no try....
                              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...