Processor upgrade on a Dell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processor upgrade on a Dell

Need some insight, I am running a Dell 8300 with 4gig of ram, 550w power supply, 1gig ATI 4600 vid card....but stuck with a Penium 4 processor. I would like to upgrade to a Intel Core 2 Duo, yes available in the 478 pin configuration, but I am not sure what is involved.

I know this is a little vague, but can I just plug and go or is there more to it?

Thanx

Acknowledge your teammates' Outstanding and Distinguished efforts:

Re: Processor upgrade on a Dell

Are you sure there's a Core 2 Duo for the 478? I had not heard of them.

You need to be careful to distinguish between the older desktop Socket 478 from the mobile Socket M and newer mobile Socket P. They are not compatible with each other, even though Socket M and Socket P both physically have 478 pins. My guess is that you're looking at Core 2 Duos for Socket M or P, described as having 478 pins, and not Socket 478.

In the case that I've heard wrong and there is some Socket 478 Core 2 Duo, you'd need to find out if the BIOS on your motherboard supports the chip. I'm not willing to bet that Dell would allow the BIOS to support CPU upgrades past what they intended - such upgrades would presumably cut in to their sales.

Comment

None of the Core 2s are produced for 478 pin. If you want a newer processor, you'll have to get a board that has the LGA775 socket (or perhaps a i3/i5/i7 socket board).
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

There are Core 2 Duos with 478 pins. The aforementioned Core 2 Duos for Socket M and Socket P contain 478 contact points. But again, one needs to distinguish between the socket type and the number of pins. CPUs made for Socket 478, Socket M, and Socket P all contain 478 "pins" or contact points, but none are compatible with each other.

Comment

Here is what I was talking about:
          http://www.monkeycircuit.com/TrckCat...ocessor+Socket

Not sure about the socket m and socket p, although I agree about Dell probably not wanting anyone to be able to upgrade...they probably also didn't expect the CP to last this long(7 years), although the mobo is the only original piece in the case...lol

To buy a new board I may as well buy a new system. Nothing else in the CP would be compatable with a new board..

Comment

Yeah, those Core 2 Duo Txxx series are for the mobile Socket M and P; so, unfortunately, they won't be compatible with your desktop Socket 478.

Your best bet is to build a new computer now with the LGA 1156 type motherboard and a Core i5, which I'm about to suggest to Cing.

Comment

Gotchya, thanx.. Can you give me your opinion on this rig:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-135-_-Product

or this one:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&sku=C477-8266

Again, I really appreciate the info!

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                There are Core 2 Duos with 478 pins. The aforementioned Core 2 Duos for Socket M and Socket P contain 478 contact points. But again, one needs to distinguish between the socket type and the number of pins. CPUs made for Socket 478, Socket M, and Socket P all contain 478 "pins" or contact points, but none are compatible with each other.
                I'm sorry, I was refering to the desktop Socket 478 not the mobile Socket M or Socket P.

The second one is one helluva of a rig in that it includes a quad-core and a HD5770. The first one is okay, but you'll have to replace the included GT220 with something more powerful.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Thanks, I like the second one a bit more too. I hate the fact that I have to retire this one all because of the processor.....I guess 7 years was a good run. Damn thing has been a good unit, fast and reliable......guess I will keep it for surfing and older games.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X