Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Need Help Setting up Python and JAVA on my Windows 7 System!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Need Help Setting up Python and JAVA on my Windows 7 System!

I'm have Python 2.6.4 (x86) installed as well as JAVA's JDK 1.6.0 Update 18 (x86) on my Windows 7 x64 desktop. I have a few JAVA IDEs installed and I can write, compile, and build JAVA programs. I don't have any Python IDEs installed. I would like to get this all sorted without having to rely on a XP machine (had the same issue with Vista but I ignored command line since I didn't need to use Python yet).

I'm trying to set it up so I can compile and run Python and JAVA programs from command line, but even though both are installed, command line is telling me
    Code:
    python is not a recognized command
    and
    Code:
    javac is not a recognized command
    Code:
    java is not a recognized command
    I've tried a lot of Google searching and such and it seems I need to set up a environment variable. I have set up two environment variables under "System variables":

For python, I used the variable, PYTHONPATH, and value, C:\Python26
    For JAVA, I used the variable, JAVA_HOME, and value, C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_18

What am I doing wrong?

And how do I get Windows to recognize the "python", "javac", and "java" commands in command line?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: I Need Help Setting up Python and JAVA on my Windows 7 System!

will this help for java? http://www.cs.princeton.edu/introcs/...ndows-cmd.html this for python ? http://pythonlearn.com/software-win.php
    Last edited by ChiefBoatsRet; 01-29-2010, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks Chief. Looks like the second tutorial helped. I managed to get python to run. Going to try the same trick with JAVA.
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

There's only one environment variable to worry about: PATH. This is the same variable used by *nix systems, and it's used by any program launcher (which is what cmd.exe is) to find programs to launch when not given a full path to that program. Windows lets you set PATH in two places, the system-wide section of the environment variables panel, and the user-specific section. One is appended to the other to get the actual PATH used by cmd.exe. (Linux does the same thing, but the "system" path is set in the shell's common startup script, typically /etc/profile, and the user path is set up in the user's startup scripts (there can be more than one, such as one for login and another for every shell start).

When you type a program name in cmd.exe, it looks down the PATH in each directory for that program. (It also first looks in the current directory, adding an implicit "." to the front. Linux doesn't do this because it's a security risk. That's why in Linux you have to put a "./" in front of a program name if it's in the current directory.)
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X