New Gaming Rig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gaming Rig

With BFBC2 coming out soon, I am going to need a new machine. I put a list together so you guys can tell me what you think.
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=16878667
    I was thinking somewhere around an $1800 budget.
    I have never built a computer before so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Re: New Gaming Rig

Well unless you don't actually want or need to burn CD/DVDs then your current drive is fine, otherwise I suggest this http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewPro...82E16827136167

Although I'm not completely sure you GPU might be too long to fit in that antec 900. The 5870s are 11 inches long.

Sameish price and company bigger HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewPro...82E16822148445

Other than that I used the same CPU and RAM and a very similar Mobo when I built my new machine and things are going well so far.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Thats a big budget, you can get close to the same performance and save a good bit of money if you wanted to.

IDE disc drive, why not SATA? That model also does not write if thats a feature you want.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
        Well unless you don't actually want or need to burn CD/DVDs then your current drive is fine, otherwise I suggest this http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewPro...82E16827136167

Although I'm not completely sure you GPU might be too long to fit in that antec 900. The 5870s are 11 inches long.

Sameish price and company bigger HDD http://www.newegg.com/Product/NewPro...82E16822148445

Other than that I used the same CPU and RAM and a very similar Mobo when I built my new machine and things are going well so far.
        No, I don't need to burn CDs or DVDs.
        For the GPU, couldn't I just remove one of the hdd bays to make room in case it doesn't fit?

Comment

Thats the thing I don't know, just an idea to check. It would suck to get all your parts just to see that your GPU doesnt fit you case. Just out of personal taste I really like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-062-_-Product it is also listed as having more space length wise in the case.
          Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Well, I just put this one "together" online and no trying to make sure this is what I want:
            [== Quad Core ==] AMD Athlon™ II X4 620 Quad-Core CPU
            Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator [AMD]
            4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module
            ATI Radeon HD 5670 - 1GB DirectX 11 Support
            Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H -- AMD 785G Hybrid CrossFire Chipset w/8-ch HD Audio, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, PCI-E MB
            700 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready
            500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s
            22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
            Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Network Card

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Confi...s.aspx?mid=276

All for a game...LOL!!

Acknowledge your teammates' Outstanding and Distinguished efforts:

Comment

With a budget of $1800 you should be able to do quite a bit better - even with all the extra stuff you have there. It helps a lot though if you pick a 2-3 week buying window and find the best sales during that period.

Questions:

1. Do you have any intention or see any possibility of ever going crossfire?

If no, you won't need a 750w psu. 550-650 range should be fine as long as you stay with a high quality manufacturer like Antec.

If yes, I believe you need to rethink your motherboard or platform choice. Unless something has changed recently when you utilize the USB3 or SATA3 features of P55 motherboards it will disable the second pci-e slot and the first will run at 8x.

2. Do you have a frys or microcenter near you?

3. Do you really want that small of a monitor - especially with such an impressive video card.
              |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Also, have you seen the Antec 902? It's a the newer version of the 900, but a few changes, and a black interior. I'm not sure if its still on sale, but the H50 was $54.99, at Best Buy in store the other day I checked. You could also save 100 bucks and get a 5850, and overclock it to a 5870.

Mantis is right though, I'd get a much larger monitor for power GPU like that. 22-24inch would shine.

Comment

Originally posted by FBmantis View Post
                  With a budget of $1800 you should be able to do quite a bit better - even with all the extra stuff you have there. It helps a lot though if you pick a 2-3 week buying window and find the best sales during that period.

Questions:

1. Do you have any intention or see any possibility of ever going crossfire?

If no, you won't need a 750w psu. 550-650 range should be fine as long as you stay with a high quality manufacturer like Antec.

If yes, I believe you need to rethink your motherboard or platform choice. Unless something has changed recently when you utilize the USB3 or SATA3 features of P55 motherboards it will disable the second pci-e slot and the first will run at 8x.

2. Do you have a frys or microcenter near you?

3. Do you really want that small of a monitor - especially with such an impressive video card.
                  1. No, I don't think I'll ever be going crossfire, and I guess I'll downgrade to the 5850.
                  2. No
                  3. I'm not a fan of giant monitors, so I thought I'd save a bit on a smaller one.
                  Also, I only put the newegg list together to make it easier for you guys to see everything. I might not be buying everything from newegg if i can find better deals elsewhere.

Comment

Looks good but I would still recommend at least a 21" monitor. Otherwise you would be wasting a lot of graphical capability by playing at a 1440*900 monitor.

Comment

Low resolution monitor, means not having to upgrade your video card as frequently. An advantage if you don't care for higher resolutions.

You could set a lower resolution on a larger monitor if you don't mind the lower quality that some people find it causes, but then you don't save the money.

If you aren't real sure what you want, I suggest you go to a computer store nearby and stare at their display monitors without reading the specs. Then when you find the one that pleases your eye the most you can figure out what size/resolution/maybe even model you prefer.
                      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X