Compatibility of graphics card and motherboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compatibility of graphics card and motherboard

Have an ASUS M2N-E SLI motherboard. Looking to buy GTX 260 graphics card. The graphics card has GDDR3 memory but motherboard says DDR2 memory for it. Is the GDDR3 memory ok or will it have an effect on the motherboard?

Thanks

Re: Compatibility of graphics card and motherboard

I've never heard of that mattering. You're looking for three things for compatibility: physical slot (AGP, PCI x16, etc...), available power (is your PSU strong enough?), and software (is there a driver to make that card work with your OS?). If those three things are good to go, then you're golden.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The differences are the GDDR3 is the memory of the graphics card, the DDR2 is the RAM for the motherboard.

Comment

Thanks, fellas. Thought so, but wanted to get a consensus opinion to be sure.

Comment

Just be careful some of the newest cards don't like older boards... I just picked up a ATI 5770 that should have worked using the, 'slot-power-OS' equation. But for whatever reason the 5000 series does not like older motherboards like mine :( (Truth be told it doesn't like the North Bridge)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X