Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help overclocking i7 920 to 3.0 (Complete noob here)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help overclocking i7 920 to 3.0 (Complete noob here)

The title of this thread really says it all. I currently have a i7 920 running at 2.67, and would like to overclock it to 3.0
    Temperature, fans, etc. are not an issue here, all I want to do is overclock...
    I've read through a number of guides, forums, etc., and I understand the basics of overclocking the i7. However, these guides have the i7 overclocked to 4.0 or 3.8, and thats not what I'm looking for.

Essentially, what I want to know is, could one of you be kind enough to give me a watered down, easy-for-a-noob, step-by-step guide for overclocking the i7 920 to 3.0. I would be incredibly grateful, and would definitely +rep.

Thanks tons in advance,
    Cody

Re: Need help overclocking i7 920 to 3.0 (Complete noob here)

Originally posted by Corporal_Cody View Post
    .. Temperature, fans, etc. are not an issue here, all I want to do is overclock...
    Um... I don't know a lot about overclocking, but I do know that with a 130 watt processor, if you want to overclock you had better be worried about Temp and fans or you are going to have a $300 burring pile of i7. Unless by this you are saying that you already addressed these issues, I would seriously suggest you check your thermal capabilities before you progress any farther.

Comment

What is the make and model of your *motherboard?

*Needed info for BIOS settings. Usually, motherboard manufacturers have Forums for each model of motherboard wherein O.C. proceedures are usually discussed.

Or you can basically use those guides you've refered to and stop at the setting which produces 3.0GHz. This site is an example for Overclocking the i7 920 on an ASUS motherboard. This picture of the BIOS shows what settings were used to reach 3.8GHz - CPU Ratio Setting of 20 x BCLK Frequency of 190 = 3800MHz (3.8GHz). So, for 3.0 you could use a CPU Ratio Setting of 16 x the BCLK Frequency of 188 = 3008MHz (3.008GHz). I float between 3.06Ghz and 4.0Ghz depending on what tasks I'm performing.

It would also be helpful if you list your RAM specs, Heatsink and Power Supply here or on any Forum so those reading may have a better picture of your system and it's capabilities before advise is given. Of course, being a self proclaimed "Noob", you didn't already know that...:icon_wink

:icon_frow
      |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
      sigpic

Comment

Unless by this you are saying that you already addressed these issues, I would seriously suggest you check your thermal capabilities before you progress any farther
        I did indeed mean that I have dealt with the temperature issues. I am using a stock cooler, but my computer is well vented and has a number of fans, and is in a cool place. Running her at about 50% load gives me a CPU temperature of about 50 C, and I've read good things about the lack of heat the i7 produces at 3.0ghz.

I do honestly appreciate the concern, however.

This picture of the BIOS shows what settings were used to reach 3.8GHz - CPU Ratio Setting of 20 x BCLK Frequency of 190 = 3800MHz (3.8GHz). So, for 3.0 you could use a CPU Ratio Setting of 16 x the BCLK Frequency of 188 = 3008MHz (3.008GHz). I float between 3.06Ghz and 4.0Ghz depending on what tasks I'm performing.
        This actually is what I was looking for, and I appreciate it. I didn't know the number of the BLCK frequency that I needed. I am good to go now. If you happen to pop back into this thread, or if anyone else can tell me, maybe perhaps answer these questions:

Is it necessary to disable turbo-boost? I am using, btw, an Asus P6TDE mobo, and it comes with the turbo-boost and EPU engine technology things. I have read that it would be advisable to disable turbo-boost, and thus i am going to do it. I would appreciate a second opinon, however.

Also, is it neccessary to adjust CPU voltage? I've read that it isnt a neccessity, but I could be wrong.

Thanks again,
        Cody

Comment

You shouldn't be getting 50C at only 50% usage for that bloomfield.
          Get a better HSF.

POE2 Developer

Comment

I'm curious what apps/games you are using that are slowing down enough on a 920 that you want to overclock?
            Twisted Firestarter
            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Corporal_Cody View Post
              Also, is it neccessary to adjust CPU voltage? I've read that it isnt a neccessity, but I could be wrong.
              If it's unstable you will have to. Test with a stress-test program, probably mentioned in one of those guides. Try OCCT.
              Get Coretemp 0.99.4 or newer for temperature monitoring.
              1.20 V or less should be enough for that speed.

Comment

i get those sorta temps at load with a 4ghz overclock. using a thermalright TRUE with a couple of 120mm sharkoons each side.

Comment

I am running my i7 920 at 1.112v, 170.6 bus with a X21 on the multiplier. I get 3.582GHz. All of it is with the stock setup. Been running stable for better then 6 months. No heat issues... no other issues... no issues period. MOBO is the MSI X-58 Pro-E .
                  Meat Drapes
                  -[OIJ]-
                  Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

50C at 50%....holy crap thats warm! do intels run that hot? not flamin here but it seems warm, I run amd but still my phenomII quad under 3-4 hrs of gaming load only tips 38C and thats running BFBC 2 which is a CPU workout! On top of the fact that I am running a 400mhz OC on the chip as well,somethings not right there....that temps to warm
                    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Intel's run hot. i7's can run hotter than the core2's. Danger-Warning temp is ~85C, fail temp is ~120C on the i7 920..

Intel spec'd them at the usual 67.9C, but the OC community has settled on anything under 84C at load as acceptable operating temperature.
                      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

My I7 920 OC to 3.6 is currently running at 45 degrees with 2-8% load.

Comment

Whenever I get a new board and processor I always do my homework first. Find the voltage limitations on you CPU, FSB, and Ram. Set them conservativly first. Then up the fsb speed in 5mh increments. I have a core 2 quad but the I7's are setup a little diffently ... i think the fsb is on the processor not the mother board. Go to extremeoverclocking.net and tomshardware, HardOCP etc sites like that and read as much as you can about your motherboard. Look for similar setups and what guys have done to overclock them. The biggest mistake people make is to try to do too much too fast. Do small overclocks, run stability tests, prime and intel burn in test to make sure it's stable, run a game or two. Once its stable go and up it by another 5 mhz .. do some more testing and check out the heat diffences. Upping the MHZ on your processor will not make a drastic change to the heat but when you start upping the voltage to get it stable is where you gotta keep an eye on the temps. When you start getting failures on the stability tests then you gotta start tweaking. Up the voltage slighly on the ram then processor to get it stable. READ READ the forums they have always helped me. I have my Q9550 that runs stock at 2.83 upped to 3.78 and reached 3.4 without any voltage tweaks.
                          Hurtz sigpic

Comment

I found this video pretty informative. I did this process for the i5 video the same guy did and was able to go to 3.611 on the first try with excellent temperatures and stability. Good info on things to change/consider with the new chips vs older ones. This is the i7 940, but the same principles apply.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X