How to test a PSU...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to test a PSU...

I have an XFX HD4870 video card that locks my system up when it gets around 71 degrees. I also see artifacts on my screen if it starts up too quickly after that freeze up. I have contacted XFX and they claim it is the PSU which is an Antec Quattro 850. I have never had any problems with it, but I want to test it in order to hopefully prove them wrong. I have one of those testers from Thermaltake, but it seems pretty useless. Is there another way to test it? Any ideas on what is wrong with my system? Thanks in advance...

Here is my system:
    MSI P7N SLI-FI
    Intel E6300(not the Core2Duo)
    Patriot Viper ram DDR2 1066 running at 800
    WD 640 Black
    Asus DS2/PM sound
    Antec Skeleton

Re: How to test a PSU...

The best way I know of to test a PSU is to slap it into a different system, hopefully with more load.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

I used a Multimeter to test my PSU... It's not the greatest to be able to test amps, but volts is very reliable, and since Watts is volts * amps, it gives you a little bit of an idea of what you should be seeing.

This is the guide I used to help me on the right track

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
        I used a Multimeter to test my PSU... It's not the greatest to be able to test amps, but volts is very reliable, and since Watts is volts * amps, it gives you a little bit of an idea of what you should be seeing.

This is the guide I used to help me on the right track
        I second this method. Simplest and easiest way to do a load test to see if your PSU is handling the rig's load. I'd watch the +12V lines to make sure they don't go below 11.94v or over 12.06v (that's the -/+5% deviation that's acceptable within the ATX standard for PSUs). Every other voltage like, 5v and 3.3v, should also follow the +/-5% deviation.

Edit: Oh so there was a Pentium DC E6xxx series. Apparently, it's just a C2D E6xxx with half the cache disabled. Otherwise, architecture is the same. Talk about more confusion. Wait wait...doesn't that make the PDC E6600 the original C2D E6600? Holy batman!

Right now, sounds like your video card's at fault, not the PSU.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X