Recovering data from bad drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering data from bad drive

I've been tasked with helping my mother recover data from her "busted" Mac Mini. For months it was unable to boot, and we took it into the "genius bar" where they got it to partially boot, but diagnosed hard drive problems. The drive is clearly not totaled, it booted up most of the way in the store, showing the background and some icons, but keeping a loading cursor going and not accepting any interaction (IIRC). Data recovery places are of course touting rather exorbitant rates even to take the drive, so I've been wondering what I could do to try and recover information myself. Any advice?

Re: Recovering data from bad drive

I had an old sata drive go bad on my last pc cause the lubricants in it were so old.
    I wasnt able to access it on my pc as a slave drive to copy over the information cause the internal parts were seized.
    So what I was able to do was freeze the drive in a moisture free plastic bag and then while it was cold plug it in and was able to get about an hours worth of use out of it again.

It could bust the drive. But it might work for you.

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

Re: Recovering data from bad drive

I was going to suggest the same thing as Tom. I had a laptop HD go bad about a year back and needed to get some stuff off it before I trashed it. I put it in a ziplock freezer bag to keep all the moisture out and stuff it in the freezer for an hour or so and was then able to plug it in and extract all the info off of it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X