Got fed up, trying to build my own

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got fed up, trying to build my own

Ok, So I ordered a computer and then they delayed it for two weeks...needless to say I canceled it. So, after listening to everyone say I should build my own and that it is not that hard.....I need some advice.
    I have put together a list of items for the rig I want to build and I need to know if they are all compatible and if I have left anything out. I would also like some general advice on the items I have chosen. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Asus P7P55D LE Motherboard - Intel P55, Socket LGA1156, CrossFire, 2133MHz, DDR3

BFG GeForce 9800 GT Video Card - 1024MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, (2) Dual Link DVI, HDTV, VGA Support

Corsair CWCH50-1 Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler - 120mm Fan, Copper Cold Plate, Aluminum Radiator, LGA775, LGA1366, LGA1156, AM2/AM3

Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9AG 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM - - PC10666, 1333MHz, 4096MB (2x 2048MB), 240 Pin, Dual-Channel

Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium PCIe Sound Card

Intel Core i7 860 Processor - 2.80GHz, LGA 1156, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, Lynnfield, Retail

Lite-On DVD-ROM - 18x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-ROM, ATAPI/E-IDE

Coolmax CUL-850B Power Supply - 850-Watt, 140mm Blue LED Fan, Semi-Modular

Western Digital WD15EADS Caviar Green Hard Drive - 3.5", 1.5TB, SATA 3G, 32MB Cache

Cooler Master HAF 932 AMD Special Edition ATX Full Tower Case - ATX, 7x Expansion Slots, 2x 120mm Fan Ports, Acrylic AMD Dragon Side Pane

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD

Total cost is $1309.00.

Just a newbie trying to build a system........anyone?

Acknowledge your teammates' Outstanding and Distinguished efforts:

Re: Got fed up, trying to build my own

Unless you are going to get a more powerful video card, you don't need that much power in the power supply. A 650-750 Watts should be more than enough. I also would recommend getting a better video card (such as a ATI Radeon 5770)

Otherwise looks good :)

Comment

• Get a better videocard
      • Change to lower watt PSU(500-600) from a reliable brand
      • Unless you need the couple extra features -->Save money - get Win 7 Home 64bit
      • Get a better harddrive - the green line is a slower line of harddrives created in the name of saving power/etc. Consider a 1TB Caviar Black or 1TB Samsung F3
      • You can get faster ram for the same price - see here - or even cheaper if you switch brand
      • Change to a SATA drive - if you want a burner note you did not choose one
      • Case is expensive - consider alternatives
      • Look at combo deals - usually you can find some good ones.

Here is a good economical HD-PSU combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.328606

Here you can get a better motherboard without paying much extra through a combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.338968

Here is the same motherboard in a i5 combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.338965 (best bang for $))
      Last edited by FBmantis; 02-10-2010, 04:10 PM.
      |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Thankxm I am toying around with this and as you can tell.....not sure exactly what I am doing. LOL! I will check those links and post a new version. Really appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Why do you need water cooling, it sounds like a neat thing to have but is it really necessary? Spend that on a case with good cooling and the things you really need which I think was covered in the above posts.

Comment

OK, taking the advise above I have a new configuration. Please let me know what you input is on this one.

A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600GB2G9-AG - Retail

Asus P7P55D LE Motherboard - Intel P55, Socket LGA1156, CrossFire, 2133MHz, DDR3

Corsair CWCH50-1 Hydro H50 CPU Liquid Cooler - 120mm Fan, Copper Cold Plate, Aluminum Radiator, LGA775, LGA1366, LGA1156, AM2/AM3

Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium PCIe Sound Card

Gigabyte SUMO 4192 Full ATX Tower Case - No PSU, Aluminum, MicroATX, 3x Blue LED Illuminated Silent Fans, Transparent Side Panel/Vent

Intel Core i7 860 Processor - 2.80GHz, LGA 1156, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, Lynnfield, Retail

Lite-On SA22518X DVD Drive - 18x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-ROM, SATA

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT Operating System Software - OEM DVD, English

XFX Radeon HD 4870 Video Card - 1024MB GDDR5, PCI Express 2.0 x16, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV

Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 RPM, 32MB, SATA-300

Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty

Final cost $1260.00

Thankx for the input.

Comment

I second the query about water cooling.. Why go so extreme? Are you going to be massively overclocking? You are a novice builder, so I don't see that in your immediate future..

Everytime I build a new PC, I think on overclocking, but in the end, I never do it.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Well, I was planning for the future, but can always drop it. Not sure what to do to ensure a cooler system, I do know that heat kills. Suggestions?

Again, thanks for the input.

Comment

Just buy a good aftermarket cooler for your CPU and/or GPU and make sure your case is well ventilated if you are concerned about heat. That's all you really need. You probably should just go with the stock coolers. If this is your first time building a rig, then watercooling is overkill.

Also if money isn't too much of an issue look into getting an SSD for your main drive, and then get one of those green drives Mantis mentioned earlier as a secondary drive for you data/media or whatever.

Comment

So why are you set on the 4870?

5770 for around the same price, and also supports DX11.

Also, the H50 is a entry level water cooling system, and can be had for around $49.99 to $79.99, most cases this is the price of a high quality air cooler. So, I do recommend this, as I bought myself one.

Comment

I am not set on anything, that is why I am asking questions and for advice. I have upgraded my rig to the point where the only thing left is the processor....so now I want to build a new one.

Comment

I'm not really able to lend a better hand in selecting parts, but you'll do fine with the build. I built my current computer rig alone, and with only a bit of hardware knowledge (I once watched someone installed a videocard and RAM for me!).

Comment

A note on water cooling:

Unless things have changed dramatically, do not get the "all-in-one" kits or the cheap-o ones. They don't perform any better than an heatsink/fan of the same price. Often times they perform worse, are loud, or are crappy quality (and start leaking).

Comment

The H50 is quite nice with its small and quiet profile. Plus since its a closed loop setup its not any harder to install than a regular air cooler - the thermal paste is a good brand and comes pre installed as well. Tad expensive at regular price at first glance but one needs to consider that the thermal paste is pre-installed and your getting a free fan. Bestbuy and Frys do run sales often as well.

I dug around a bit fubar. My suggestion is attached - there are some i7 860 combos to work with as well if you want the extra cpu power.(personally I don't think its worth the extra $80) I improved your motherboard, PSU, gpu(up for debate) and imo case while reducing the costs. The case is a nice new one by Cooler Master they just released with a lower shipping cost. After factoring in rebates and shipping your looking at about $1120 once you add a dvd drive.(couldn't find the one you listed)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by FBmantis; 02-10-2010, 11:54 PM.
                            |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

Thanx Mantis, I will take a closer look when I get home from work and shoveling out another 18' of snow....lol

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X