Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 1Tb Samsung F3 HD and Win 7 coming tomorrow, best way to setup partitions???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 1Tb Samsung F3 HD and Win 7 coming tomorrow, best way to setup partitions???

Hey folks, hoping you can offer some advice. I'm getting a new HDD tomorrow as above and am looking to do a clean install of Win 7 Home premium 64bit on it.

To the knowledgeable of you out there, how would be the preferred way to setup the OS/partitions(if any)?

I'm of the belief that a small partition of say 250gb-300Gb for the OS and most frequently used games and the rest for storage/music/downloads etc would give the best performance.

Is there actually a reason to partition the drive at all? I can imagine defragging a 1tb partition would take much longer than doing a 250-300gb one, but I can't really see any other reason to create a partition. Can someone enlighten me please?

As a side point I also have a 320gb Seagate barracuda and a 74gb raptor. Would there be a better way to configure my storage solution? (eg raptor for OS, games on first partition of F3 1tb drive, 320gb for backups?)
    Intel Core Duo E6600 Stock Cooler
    DFI Infinity 975X/G
    4GB (2x2GB) OCZ Gold XTC DDR2 6400
    BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
    Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card
    Western Digital 74Gb Raptor
    Seagate Barracuda 320Gb
    NEC DVD+RW/DVD-RW
    24" Dell 2408WFP (Digital)

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3

@ 2701Mhz (9x300) - BIOS 08/20/2007 - 47C Idle, 59C Load.

Re: New 1Tb Samsung F3 HD and Win 7 coming tomorrow, best way to setup partitions???

Have thought a bit more and am thinking of creating 320Gb primary partition and installing Win 7 there on the new Samsung 1tb drive (whilst the other two drives disconnected) backing up both the 74gb raptor and 320gb seagate to 2nd partition on the F3 drive then wiping them to release them for final desired setup of 74gb Raptor with OS, f3 for storage/games and 320gb as a door stop :P!!

This assumes that my 74gb Raptor is quicker than the 1Tb Samsung F3, is that correct? Anyone know of a reliable link to drive benchmarks?
    DFI Infinity 975X/G
    Seagate Barracuda 320Gb
    NEC DVD+RW/DVD-RW

Comment

Re: New 1Tb Samsung F3 HD and Win 7 coming tomorrow, best way to setup partitions???

Originally posted by Hugh_Jardon View Post
      Have thought a bit more and am thinking of creating 320Gb primary partition and installing Win 7 there on the new Samsung 1tb drive (whilst the other two drives disconnected) backing up both the 74gb raptor and 320gb seagate to 2nd partition on the F3 drive then wiping them to release them for final desired setup of 74gb Raptor with OS, f3 for storage/games and 320gb as a door stop :P!!

This assumes that my 74gb Raptor is quicker than the 1Tb Samsung F3, is that correct? Anyone know of a reliable link to drive benchmarks?
      I use a 150gb Raptor for the main OS and games etc and a second 1tb seagate for storage which is split into four 200+gb partitions, I named each drive similar to what I was going to store in it ie. Media, Design, Downloads or whatever and the fourth for installing small applications such as CPU-Z, FTP software, Teamspeak etc and I also have the page file/Virtual memory on the second drive, I should really have created a fifth 30gb partition just for the page file itself in case I add more ram in, but having 4 or 6gb of ram may mean the page file rarely gets used.

The ideal thing to do would be to put the page file on a separate small drive depending on the amount of ram you have installed, as some applications may use the page file with the ram even though only 50 or 60% of the ram is being used and having it on a separate drive means that the "separate" drive with the page file can wizz away without the "main drive" having to do the work. But having it on a separate partition on one of the secondry drives will do for your setup.

The benefits of using partitions on a hard drive is well explained in Wikipedia

The Raptor you have runs at 10,000rpm and the others at 7000+/-, so yes the raptor is the fastest and read/write/access/seeking/loading/transferring/copy/cut/paste/open/close/startup/shutdown/save/save as etc. times are slightly faster, but the drive is also small, so make your decision based on that.

I myself would prefer a 1tb Raptor or SSD as my main drive, I know, I know, I am such a dreamer. :row__579:
      Last edited by MrMojay; 02-12-2010, 01:53 AM.

Comment

or an ssd for windows and then a seperate ssd for urr games and a seperate one for apps and then ANOTHER for urr data /end dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackspyder View Post
          or an ssd for windows and then a seperate ssd for urr games and a seperate one for apps and then ANOTHER for urr data /end dream.

Ohh that would be nice also. ;)

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions.

With some major headaches, I finally managed to get Win 7 installed on a 100GB partition.

I had loads of problems getting my genuine WIN 7 64-bit OEM installation to complete without system freezes. I took many different steps to sort it with the final one being to disconnect my 3.5" FDD and DVD/CD writer and EVERY Usb device (including mouse) and then installing from a bootable USB stick made with the Windows 7 USB tool (http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool) on my laptop!!!

My system continued to freeze after installation at random times when I installed drivers etc. Again I'm not certain, but I think this stopped either when I installed the latest Nvidia drivers or when I installed the Windows Updates.

Now it's finally installed, Win 7 looks and feels good. Just need to install the rest of my drivers and Project Reality!! :)
            DFI Infinity 975X/G
            Seagate Barracuda 320Gb
            NEC DVD+RW/DVD-RW

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X