Windows 7 - Shortcuts and bit locker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 - Shortcuts and bit locker

I was doing some research online to see what all Windows 7 had available and there are some nice shortcuts which enable you to work more effiently. Some may have already been in Vista but I just wan't aware of them. Here are the shortcuts then I have a question about bit locker in Win 7.

Windows Key + E will open a new Explorer window.
    Alt + P In Windows Explorer to turn the preview pane on.
    Windows Key + P opens the Display Switcher applet.
    Windows Key + Spacebar shows the desktop (makes active windows transparent).
    Windows Key + Plus (+) key turns on the Magnifier to zoom in on the desktop. Windows Logo key + Minus (-) key zooms back out.
    Ctrl + clicking an icon in the taskbar toggles between the open instances of the program.
    Windows Key + Left or Right Arrow key will snap to half screen left or right (same as dragging the window to the left or right edge of the screen but without using the mouse).
    Windows Logo key + Shift + Left or Right Arrow key (with multiple monitors) will move the window to the left or right monitor.
    Windows Key + down arrow minimizes current window

Bit Locker encryption - I think this is only available on Enterprise or Ultimate or maybe it's the bit locker to-go that might only be available on those editions. Anyway my question is for using the encryption on your main hard drives not the thumbdrive; Are there any disadvantages to using their built in encryption? I guess I'm asking my question because I just didn't want it to slow down performance. My assumption is all it does in encrypt so other folks would need to enter that key to be able to read the drive.

Basically all you do is right clikc on the drive and turn on bit locker. You create a password and it will encrypt the drive for you and you have a choice of saving the recovery key to a safe place on another drive in case you forget your passphrase.

Any thoughts on this?
    "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."
    "What the mind can conceive and believe..... it can achieve."

The Mediator

Re: Windows 7 - Shortcuts and bit locker

Originally posted by Mediator View Post
    Windows Key + Left or Right Arrow key will snap to half screen left or right (same as dragging the window to the left or right edge of the screen but without using the mouse).
    Windows Logo key + Shift + Left or Right Arrow key (with multiple monitors) will move the window to the left or right monitor.
    Windows Key + down arrow minimizes current window
    Those are very handy for dual and single monitor setups, windows(shift) and all the arrow keys make it so easy to manage your windows! :icon14:

+rep

EDIT: I have bitlocker but have not looked into it, I would like to use it for my memory sticks and removable devices in case I loose any of them, not sure about doing it to my hard drive though, need to research it more to weigh the pros and cons!

Might be worth using on a second hard drive with all your family photos, receipts, transactions, bills, artwork, videos etc.

Saving the "key" kind of defeats the purpose of what it is trying to do, the best bet would be try to memorize the key, but that is easier said than done as the keys are usually just random numbers and letters, being able to create your own password or passphrase would maybe be a better option, although I am not sure if such an option exists?
    Last edited by MrMojay; 02-13-2010, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Here is the website I was using for tips and tricks on Win 7

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
      Might be worth using on a second hard drive with all your family photos, receipts, transactions, bills, artwork, videos etc.
      I actually have 3 hard drives and one is external. I use one for OS with a partition for my programs, one for complete backup, and one for music and pictures. I like to share the one with music and pictures so I can access with my laptop when needed. Eventually I want to integrate a new HD TV and network to computer for my saved videos. With that I would like to encryt it just as an added security layer.

Originally posted by MrMojay View Post
      Saving the "key" kind of defeats the purpose of what it is trying to do, the best bet would be try to memorize the key, but that is easier said than done as the keys are usually just random numbers and letters, being able to create your own password or passphrase would maybe be a better option, although I am not sure if such an option exists?
      Yes I remember my passphrase with no issues but it's nice to have considering I've hit middle age and we all know what goes first.... memory. Okay so with some folks something else goes first but that's not a discussion for this board LOL!

I'll keep doing research on it and see what I can dig up and post back here.
      Last edited by Mediator; 02-14-2010, 08:54 AM.
      "The mind stretched to a new concept can never return to it's orginal dimension."

The Mediator

Comment

Okay from what I have read so for on bitlocker it can cause more usage of the CPU and could slow down the Disk. I think I'll hold off on using it for now. I have used the bitlocker to go for my thumb drive though.

The Mediator

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...