Dead HDD -- Clicking on startup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead HDD -- Clicking on startup

Yes, it's my gaming HDD.. And I have a lot of other stuff on there. Any chance of getting anything salvaged?

Basically, what it does on power-on is click-click.........click-click...........click-click........ and then nothing. BIOS gets a weird reading from it, and of course windows doesn't recognize it.

It's a Western Digital, and I tried running their Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostic, but that just locks up the computer.

Anything at all? Whatever I can copy would be a bonus.

Thanks.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Dead HDD -- Clicking on startup

Originally posted by Tempus
    Yes, it's my gaming HDD.. And I have a lot of other stuff on there. Any chance of getting anything salvaged?

Basically, what it does on power-on is click-click.........click-click...........click-click........ and then nothing. BIOS gets a weird reading from it, and of course windows doesn't recognize it.

It's a Western Digital, and I tried running their Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostic, but that just locks up the computer.

Anything at all? Whatever I can copy would be a bonus.

Thanks.
    You are most likely hosed.. If you want to spend several hundred to several thousand dollars, you can send it off to a data recovery firm, but if it's clicking like that then you know you've got serious issues.

When you replace it, get a Seagate Barracuda drive. The MTBF on the Barracuda drives is phenominal, and their failure rates are far lower than WD in my experience.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

It is possible to buy a HDD recovery utility at around $30, but I forget where I got mine, and it's nowhere near perfect (I've used it on something like 8 HDD's and recovered full data from 1 and partial data from 3 more)

It connects to your PC via USB and you can copy data across from a dead HDD to your PC, when it works.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Ticking is usually the heads tracking across the platters and then resetting quickly. Basically, it's trying, but can't read anything. The data is probably fine; it's usually the controlling hardware that is hosed. Therefore, data recovery programs won't help you: the drive just isn't capable of pulling data off the platters. You need external tools to take the platters and read them directly; data-recovery firm work.

Your only hope is that it's a software (firmware) problem that can be corrected via a utility. That's a *long* shot though.
        "Hardly used" will not fetch a better price for your brain.

Comment

Ah, memories of my IBM DeathStar. I doubt any software tool will be able to recover your data. Sorry Tempus but you will probably have to cut your losses and toss the disk.

Comment

Is this the new HD you just purchased? Make sure you get that thing replaced.

If you have a local computer store or even Best Buy around, you can usually take the HD into them and have them recover it to a CD or DVD. They may charge up to $100 for it but I'm not sure.
            |TG-12th| asch
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.. It's my old 200 GB drive.. I don't mourn the drive, but the data.. Oh well.. I'll try the old freezer routine, then I'll bang it around, and if still nothing, then it will be dissected for my amusement. :D

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

every drive I have had that happen to... (at least 10) there was irrepairable damage to the disk..... last one was a cracked plater that not even data recovery labs could retrieve.
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.. It's my old 200 GB drive.. I don't mourn the drive, but the data.. Oh well.. I'll try the old freezer routine, then I'll bang it around, and if still nothing, then it will be dissected for my amusement. :D
                  Dissect it?

If its still under warrantee you can send it back to the company and get a new or refurbished drive for free.

The warrentees are sometimes as long as 3 years. I would check before doing anthing that would void it.
                  Steam Community: | |

Comment

Depending on how valuable the data is, a shop can usually pull quite a bit of the data off of the drive. Again, depends on how much you want to pay for it.
                    |TG-12th| asch
                    sigpic

Comment

Well, freezing did not work, hitting it with a hammer did not work, and dropping (or throwing) it to the floor did not work. :*(

So, I will need to reinstall a bunch of stuff once again. Thank god I did not delete those DC files this time (they're on my C drive -- Asch should get it).

Comment

Thank god I did not delete those DC files this time (they're on my C drive -- Asch should get it).
                        LOL... always keep those backed up!
                        |TG-12th| asch
                        sigpic

Comment

I thought this article was relavent for you Tempus.

Saving Your Data After a Head Crash:
                          An Inside Look at a Disk Recovery Service
                          |TG-12th| asch
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the link. There is nothing there that is so valuable as to warrant such an action. I will just bite the bullet and start over on some things. Everything that is VERY valuable is always stored on more that one HDD. Not foolproof I know, but better than nothing.

Comment

If I remember correctly you did not do a format, and clean install after your upgrade. Correct? So on the bright side, if there is one, you get to do that now. You will have a clean, and fresh HD for BF2!!

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X