Graphics card problem?? idk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphics card problem?? idk

Ok in both Mass Effect Games,Crysis,Arma 2 and the AvP demo my Computer crashes so bad that I cant bring up the task manager or alt-tab out.I play at 1360x768 resolution.The games run smooth but The screen just blacks out while I play but with sound still working.It happens randomly rather than at a specific point.After the first crash I updated my Video driver but that did not help.I used to be able to play at my max resolution just fine but in order to play those games im forced to use 1024x768.My first computer problems was when Arma 2 blue screened after a patch then it started to black screen.I used to be able to play Crysis Wars for hours and now as I come back to it it just locks up my computer after about 30 min thats when I knew something was really wrong.I also play my games Maxed out or whatever the game thinks is best after it scans my computer.Not much of a computer whiz but i tried to get most of my specs up as possible,thanks for any advice you can offer.

Gateway

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

t® Windows Vista™ Home Premium Service Pack 2 (6.0.6002)

DX 11

6142MB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

Clock speed:2492 MHz

Sound and Driver:Realtek HD Audio/ [6.0.1.5772]

Video card driver:196.21 and recently switched to 196.34 Beta

Vram:512 mb

Re: Graphics card problem?? idk

hmmmmm could possibly also be the power supply weakening or going bad as well.
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I think your card only supports DX 10.
      http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...9800gt_us.html

Also, your 2492 clock speed is 166% of the default processor speed of 1500.
      Your card would be OC'd out pretty high and heat could be a cause also.
      I would try running your games at lower resolutions and scale your OC back some.
      When troubleshooting, sometimes going back to default helps to establish a baseline.

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
        I think your card only supports DX 10.
        http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...9800gt_us.html

Also, your 2492 clock speed is 166% of the default processor speed of 1500.
        Your card would be OC'd out pretty high and heat could be a cause also.
        I would try running your games at lower resolutions and scale your OC back some.
        When troubleshooting, sometimes going back to default helps to establish a baseline.
        Im assuming that oc stands for overclocked.I dont know anything about that I never tried to tweak anything so IDK how it got to that point,how would I bring it down to normal??I thought the same thing about dx10 only but this says dx 11.Unless only my computer supports it but not my card??

Comment

To determine if your video card is overheating you should grab some sort of hardware temperature monitoring program. I suggest "HWmonitor" http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php .

Once you have it setup you can run it and save a log of measurements, including GPU temperature.

Per Nvidia's website the max temp for your GPU is 105 C, http://www.nvidia.com/object/product...9800gt_us.html
          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

My suggestion is to download http://www.evga.com/precision/ and use this to re-establish the baseline as well as to help monitor temps and fan speeds. Vista updated to dx11 but if your card doesn't support it, it'll default to to the version your hardware supports. (the Precision tool is suppose to work with any Nvidia card but I've only tested it with EVGA cards)
            Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

Ok I installed the cpuid app and alt tabbed to check on it while I played.The Value said 103 and the max said 106 so im guessing that my card would of overheated with a few more minutes.When Im not playing a game and its idle the temp sits at 84.

Comment

Originally posted by Smooov View Post
                Ok I installed the cpuid app and alt tabbed to check on it while I played.The Value said 103 and the max said 106 so im guessing that my card would of overheated with a few more minutes.When Im not playing a game and its idle the temp sits at 84.
                Try the software the guys posted above. See if you can force your fan speed up for gaming.
                I used to have 2 x 8800GT Sli and would force the fan speed up to 70% while gaming (from 30% idle) and ran temps in the low 70's. I also have an Antec 900 case with a ton of air flow. Also, look to see if you can create more airflow in your case (extra fan?). Idle temps could be lower also. You will notice the faster video card fan speed can be a little noisy when you are not gaming.

Comment

I did,my default fan speed is at 100 and any lower will cause the temp to rise.The core clock and memory clock were 50mhz above the specs I see on the nvidia website which is 600 and 900.If I set them back to the minimum which is 490 and 715 then the gpu will be 81-82 degrees.I played some ME2 and it went up to 109 then I exited the game.Right now im just testing with diff resolutions.
                  Last edited by Smooov; 02-15-2010, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Is the temps you are mentioning smooov in C or F?
                    |TG-12th|mantis

Comment

It's most likely your display driver crashing due to your video card overheating. If your fan speed is at 100% and your temps are at 109 that seems a little high. You might have poor airflow in your case. Or the stock cooler on that card just sucks. I know the one on my 4870x2 did. With the stock cooler on that my idle temps were in the 80's. I bought an Arctic Cooling Accelero cooler for my card and right now my idle temp is 43 at default fan speed which is 27%. Plus the stock cooler sounded like a Boeing jet.

Here's another benchmark and stability test for your graphics card.
                      http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Comment

Its in C,I think it could be a airflow problem since my Cores are in the 60s.

Comment

If you haven't go ahead and try to clean the dust out of the card. As well it is likely that the thermal compound between the heatsink and the actual chip itself has degraded at this point. You might consider getting some and replacing it if you feel comfortable removing the heatsinkfan.
                          |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Thanks for the help so far,Ill try to clean it out but while I have it open I think i will try to upgrade or replace anything that will help run it cooler.I looked online and it seems like other Gateway FX computers have the same problems eventually.

Comment

I don't know about the 9800, but my 8800 doesn't crank the fan up based on temp. It just idles at 33% or something, which was causing overheating issues for me. I use Rivatuner to turn the fan up to 88% before playing games that use my graphics card heavily. Solved my issues with artifacts and crashes.

www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
                              Viking

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...