New Monitor showdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Monitor showdown

I'm looking to upgrade my current Hanns G 22 in Monitor. I figure if I'm going to upgrade I want to go big - something around 26 in.

Size isn't my only concern. I also want very good picture quality. Looking at the screen of my girlfriend's Macbook Pro has me all jealous. I'm guessing that HDMI will make a difference in the picture quality and both of the monitors I'm considering have HDMI ports as does my video card.

Here's the two I'm considering:

Asus VW266H

Samsung TOC T260HD

Note that I will NOT be buying from those bait and switchers at Newegg.

My girlfriend thinks 26in is way to big. Any thoughts on that?

Anyone have any thoughts or actually have either of these?
    Samsung T260HD
    77.78%
    Asus VW266H
    22.22%

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Re: New Monitor showdown

Ok, I have to do a little *cough*cough* here, but I have a t260HD on the way to my house right now. I ordered on Friday, and am already tapping my foot in anticipation.
    (note to self. never again search for animated foot tapping on google image with safesearch off :icon_eek::row__681:)

Anyway, check out the video review here:
    Samsung T260HD Touch of Color 26" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1200, WUXGA, 1000:1, 5ms, HDMI

And there are also some very very good ones on youtube, including some gaming ones. There is one series of like 5 where an Asian dude with a cool accent goes over every aspect of the monitor in detail, and games on it. Convinced me to buy.

As for price, see these 2 threads running in the slickdeals.net forum:

Samsung T260HD 26" 1080p (1920x1200) Widescreen HDTV / Display for $279 w/ 7% Cash Back + FS

Samsung Touch of Color T240HD 24" LCD HD Monitor

The 2nd one is for the 24", but a lot of it still applies. I admit I posted a bunch in that thread and came off pretty angry in a few of them, but if you look back at other older threads on the HD monitors, they are full of idiots posting bad info and wasting peoples time. I got more +Rep points for my posts in that thread than any others there, so others must agree.

Point to note is the t260hd is about to go out, and means the options for a full x1200 rez monitor will be even worse. Everyone going 1080p.

If you have never used Bing before, PM me and I will try and help. This was my first time using and it went really easily. Saved $21 at office depot, which covered tax, and with free shipping ended up being $300 even.

That all being said, I think you would be very happy with either monitor. :madsmile:

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thanks, I'll check out those reviews when I get home from work.

Oh yes I use Bing all the time. I used their cashback search back when it was Jellyfish.

Let me know what you think of it once you get it. I can't make a move on either till my next paycheck (laptop for mom really drained me).

EDIT: How are you going to connect it? I was planning on using the HDMI port since I'd imagine that'd translate into better image quality.
      Last edited by Spyder228; 02-22-2010, 01:32 PM.

Comment

No contest, the T260HD is the way to go but get it while its still there.

I do have this monitor and it is quite an amazing piece of hardware. I have had no problems with it and have noticed a few tg people picking it up in the last couple months.

I have tried connecting my card via HDMI and DVI and have not noticed any difference.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Bamboo said I should add my 2 cents as I run 2 of the Asus 22" monitors and given this choice would have no qualms about selecting either of these monitors and would probably lean towards the quicker refresh rate.
          Forewarned is Forearmed

Comment

I'M saying go with the Samsung

My girlfriend thinks 26in is way to big. Any thoughts on that?
            Soo many things can be said.....

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
            So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

I have the Asus 24" 1900x1080 at home and have been very pleased.

(I also have the highend Dell 24" 1900x1200 at work. Both are very good. For some reason I like the 1900x1080 better. I put them side by side and I don't see any real difference in picture quality. But the aspect ratio of the 1900x1080 is more pleasing to me. Even for coding, where I loose some pixels on the asus, I find this to be true.)
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Just a heads up, the ASUS is on sale:

And my Samsung just got here and I am currently fondling it. Can't wait to game on it later tonight. Sorry about the crappy Iphone pic, but was easier than going to get the Canon. It's going to make getting my soon to reappear Links To Keep You Busy threads and other stuff I have planned much easier to do.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

fap fap fap
                  "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Wow that's huge! How's it look? Does the picture quality match that of an HDTV? That's pretty much what I'm looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
                      Wow that's huge! How's it look? Does the picture quality match that of an HDTV? That's pretty much what I'm looking for.
                      Picture looks awesome, as Extinct says above. I haven't watched TV with it yet, but right when I started it up it wanted to scan for channels to watch.
                      Thinking of bringing my PS3 in to check it out.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well the guys at work talked me into it. Couldn't miss the sale at Office Depot AND they are giving away $25 giftcards to papa john's today on all orders over $150.

Comment

What sucks is Office Depot sends you a $20 off anything coupon after you order. Would have perfered it before :D

Don't forget to use bing.

LINKS

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Well I finally got my new Samsung monitor after some long delays by UPS (morons would NOT deliver it to my house despite 2 signed doortags telling them too). It really does look awesome. I actually think it might be a tad TOO big since I actually have to my eyes in order to see different parts of the screen. Also because my stupid desk hutch my TrackIR won't fit on it as the monitor is too tall. That's not really a big issue since I've pretty much dropped ArmA 2 (stupid ACE).

I have yet to game on it but I imagine it'll be awesome despite the slight performance decrease I'll get. Thanks for all the input guys!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X