OS question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OS question

So right now I have Windows XP on the gaming machine. I have a copy of Vista Pro(both 32 and 64 bit versions) I was given from a defunct laptop purchaser and I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade my machine.

I plan on getting 7, but with new games and technologies wanting to use DX10 would it be worth it to wait for an unknown period of time and get 7 while still keeping XP until I do. Or should I go ahead and install Vista and load 7 later when I get it?

Re: OS question

Originally posted by oniell121 View Post
    So right now I have Windows XP on the gaming machine. I have a copy of Vista Pro(both 32 and 64 bit versions) I was given from a defunct laptop purchaser and I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade my machine.

I plan on getting 7, but with new games and technologies wanting to use DX10 would it be worth it to wait for an unknown period of time and get 7 while still keeping XP until I do. Or should I go ahead and install Vista and load 7 later when I get it?
    for the love of god, dont install vista. seriously i have it and its the worst thing ive ever done to any pc ive owned. its a huge resource hog. i'de wait for windows 7

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
      for the love of god, dont install vista. seriously i have it and its the worst thing ive ever done to any pc ive owned. its a huge resource hog. i'de wait for windows 7
      Well this is just the perfect example of the utter lies that branded vista as a bad OS. Yes it does use more resources than XP but XP used more resources than the OS before it, big deal. Oniel, if I remember correctly you just got a GTS 250 so the next question is how much ram do you have? Since Vista and Win7 like to do a lot of prefetch for programs you use a lot its is nice to have 3-4 GB of RAM in your system, which is pretty typical for a gaming system.
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Reaperassault View Post
        Well this is just the perfect example of the utter lies that branded vista as a bad OS. Yes it does use more resources than XP but XP used more resources than the OS before it, big deal. Oniel, if I remember correctly you just got a GTS 250 so the next question is how much ram do you have? Since Vista and Win7 like to do a lot of prefetch for programs you use a lot its is nice to have 3-4 GB of RAM in your system, which is pretty typical for a gaming system.
        That's the thing. I only have 2Gb. That's always been my limiting factor. I'm currently looking at getting some more.

Comment

Don't install Vista. Win7 is a better product with improved performance and uses less resources than Vista. Plus there are a lot of tweaks in Win7 that I love that you can't get in Vista. Having said that, though, until you get more RAM, don't install Win7. RAM is cheap, grab 4GB and then install Win7 64bit.
          Twisted Firestarter
          a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
          sigpic

Comment

2 GBs is cutting thin with Vista or Windows 7. Even with the improved memory management in 7, it still uses quite a bit more than XP. As said above, I wouldn't installed either until you get another 1-2 GBs more of RAM.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

i have 3 GB of ram and it still has hickups sometimes using vista. off course i only have a laptop
              and reaper, not lies, it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
                i have 3 GB of ram and it still has hickups sometimes using vista. off course i only have a laptop
                and reaper, not lies, it is what it is.
                Most of the crap you hear about Vista being this bad thing and that bad thing is crap. Most of those people haven't used it or don't even bother investigating the true cause of their problems (which was/is poor drivers and incompatible/insufficient hardware). The only major issue I had while using Vista Home Premium x64 was that during restarts, I would get a BSOD. That was due to a string of bad drivers from nVidia and seemed only present for Vista (haven't had once since upgrading to 7 - at a loss since 7 is 95% Vista).

As for your slowness, perhaps a not-so-well-written program with poor memory management sucking up your computer's resources? I've had some pretty crappy programs run in the background which would lock up my system from time-to-time.

Remember, with each new iteration of Windows, RAM isn't the only thing that needs to improve. Given 3 GBs of RAM, what's your lappy's CPU? What was your hard drive's RPM? A lot of times, I see people install Vista onto a old laptop with a older CPU and a slow hard drive after only adding more RAM. Just because you have more RAM doesn't mean your computer can handle the new OS (or some new app).
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

If you are considering making the move to Win 7, then look for a good sale and go for it. I liked Vista 64 and never had any problems with it. When I did a rebuild recently, I bought an OEM copy of Win 7 64 from Newegg for $89 and never looked back. I can't give you any scientific evidence or link you to a tech article, but it just seems to run cleaner for me. Easy to tweak and very intuitive. Driver compatibility is less of an issue now than when I first switched to Vista 64. I would recommend going with 4GB of RAM if you are using it for gaming.

Comment

As a student I can get 7 for $60 so that's not the issue. Thanks a lot guys. This answered my questions very well.

Comment

I have used 32 an 64 bir versions of XP Vista an windows 7. def if you have a 64 bit OS def grab a 64 bit version of what your using it will increase processing for sure. An they are cheap. you can get a quad core for like 100 bucks with AMD right now as in processing these OS's. For memory I would have at least 4 Gigs an even more if your gonna want to play extremely smooth but I still think most of your core power comes from your video card as well. You need to have at least a minimum of 4gigs to get win7 to flow good. with the new DX11 cards from ATI or nvidia in a month or so 4 gigs an a high end card can produce almost flawless speeds only with 4 gigs of ram which is also cheap.

Don't be too afriad to go to vista even though it had poor reviews i use to use it to run dx10 games as they released which most were the ruffest gaming i experienced but i watched it also smooth out an Id rather use 2 gigs of ram on vista than 2 gigs on XP anyday because I beleive it does what XP can do anyway. Until you get your hands on 4 gigs of RAM an win7 you should def give vista a green light. DX10 games didnt splash off as great an was very unfished because vista was unfinished, but few work still :). windows 7 skips it all with building a stable future end all gaming moving forward for good. windows 7 is a beast. get it asap lol. So to say that again :D grab a great dx11 top of line card from ATI or nvidia in furture- snag a decent mulyiple processor and at least 4 gigs of ram an your good to go for a GREAT start...

Comment

As a side note DX11 is on vista.
                        Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          Most of the crap you hear about Vista being this bad thing and that bad thing is crap.
                          I disagree.

The first time I had a PC that wouldn't crash on me at seemingly random times was when I built a machine using WinME. 98SE was cool, but WinME was better. And I had zero problems with it. First PC that would go for months without rebooting. But I couldn't argue with the multitudes that were having issues. Maybe I got lucky and the OS was playing well with my hardware. Maybe the others are unlucky. My point is that it doesn't matter. The OS is integral to your computing experience. If it doesn't work, it doesn't matter if it's a driver issue, or a piece of hardware that your OS doesn't like, or any other reason why it's not working. What matters is whether or not your PC works when you put an OS on it. Sure you have to take drivers and hardware into account, but why did Vista have such a particularly bad time with these things compared to other OS'? Why does XP and 7 work on a massive age range of hardware, while Vista needs new, fast hardware?

Sometimes an OS is crap despite it working like a dream for some.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            Why does XP and 7 work on a massive age range of hardware, while Vista needs new, fast hardware?
                            XP did have tons of problems when first released. Many drivers crashed the system. Many programs caused havoc. There where huge, and I mean HUGE, security holes. Many machines that originally ran 98/ME fine would come to a crawl after XP was installed. I waited almost 3 years after XP was released and I still had problems (I used Win2000 and it was the true dream).

Over time XP, with all the updates, got better.

Same with vista. Vista now is a fine, stable OS if all the updates are applied. I have a machine with 2 gigs and it does all my normal work just fine. Games tax it a bit, but that is all. The number of real complaints has gone down over time.

Windows 7 is better, no doubt. But windows seven is really just a major service pack for Vista.
                            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Qache View Post
                              Don't be too afriad to go to vista even though it had poor reviews i use to use it to run dx10 games as they released which most were [...]
                              No. Either stick with XP or migrate to Win7. Do not migrate to Vista. There is no point--Win7 has everything Vista has, plus it has been tweaked to perform better, plus it has some nice new features that Vista does not. Upgrading to Vista is pointless.
                              Twisted Firestarter
                              a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse