Wierd crashes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd crashes

I have a little problem, while playing any game my computer seems to just crash. It just dies and that's almost it. It only happens while I'm playing a game and this happens:
    1. In my headset I hear a buzzing noise and the screen either just laggs (keeps the picture it last had), goes black or goes blue like in BSOD just without any text, just blue.
    2. If that doesn't happen then this does and it happens a lot. http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/92217460-3.jpg

That was taken while playing League of Legends and that happens while playing any game. You can still play but after 5secs the noise comes (read point 1).

Although I have to add that all those things might happen and if I don't hear the noise it just means I have to wait for 30 seconds and I'm back with what I was doing.

It's really annoying and I'm concerned that it's related to my graphics card, and the whole computer is practically brand new. It's been happening since I bought it but not as frequently as now. The card is Ati Radeon 4870HD. Any ideas? I think that my best bet is that I format my whole comp.
    ˝Memento audere semper˝

Re: Wierd crashes

It's your video card. Either it's dying or most likely just overheating when playing games. There was another thread here recently about a graphics card problem.

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...oblem-idk.html

Make sure you clean out any dust in your case, on your card, on your fans. Make sure your fan is working properly on your card. You may want to increase the fan speed when you want to play games. You can do this in CCC under ATI Overdrive.

Here's a stress test program for graphics cards.
    http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Comment

Yup, it is you're GPU at fault. try updating you're GPU drivers and making sure it is being cooled properly.
      sigpic

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Comment

I installed furmark and all it said with using it in stress mode is that the temperature goes up to 67 (C) and that's it, nothing special really. I apologize for not reading through the forums and finding that thread, but even now after I've read it all I saw were links for these programs like furmark. No real solution. I did try to find the fan speed in CCC and increase it but I just couldn't. Count to think of it my fan is literally soundless, you can barely hear it.

I'm scared that if I go play games and that happens my radeon card will just overheat and melt or become damaged, that's why I'm going to try and not play games until I get a firm solution on what to do. Any ideas how to raise fan speed or just help my GPU.

Really don't want this one to go down the drain cause the rig is just 5 months old
        ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

I did try to find the fan speed in CCC and increase it but I just couldn't
          Update the drivers then go into ATI overdrive and unlock it by clicking on the padlock icon, then click on "enable ATI overdrive" and select "enable manual fan control" and then use the slider to change the fan speed, then click on apply.

I was able to do this on a 4890 just now and I heard the fan speed up.

Comment

I have no idea where you found enable manual fan control, because in ATI overdrive I can only find Test Custom Clocks and Auto Tune, and yes I have the latest drivers 100%

EDIT: I have checked in help and I saw your exact instructions but I swear that there is no enable manual fan control box

EDIT 2: I went on youtube to find my overdrive problem and I saw that you have a clock for the fan and a bar that you can raise when enabled, I'm gonna go nuts right now because I just don't have that option nor clock!

EDIT 3: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...n-control.html

I hope that I don't have that problem
            ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

As likely as it may be the GPU, it could also be an inadaquate PSU. What PSU are you using now (brand and wattage)?
              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

As a precaution to that and future improvements I bought instead of a stock 550W one I got me a Corsair 650W PSU, just to be sure I have enough power. So that's out of the question I think

EDIT: This fan of mine is working on really low, now I don't know since it's late and I'm not planning to play games but it's SUPER low right now. I mean it barely cools, but I'm not doing anything just for info. Got me in some paranoia stuff here, don't really wanna go gaming until I get this fixed, there's no way I'd risk killing it any further lol
                ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix. View Post
                  As a precaution to that and future improvements I bought instead of a stock 550W one I got me a Corsair 650W PSU, just to be sure I have enough power. So that's out of the question I think

EDIT: This fan of mine is working on really low, now I don't know since it's late and I'm not planning to play games but it's SUPER low right now. I mean it barely cools, but I'm not doing anything just for info. Got me in some paranoia stuff here, don't really wanna go gaming until I get this fixed, there's no way I'd risk killing it any further lol
                  That's normal behavior. The Corsair 650W (aka rebranded Seasonic) has a large 120mm fan, so it doesn't need to spin up as high to move the needed amount of air through the internals to cool down the PSU. Unless you're gaming and heavily taxing your graphics card, hard drive, and CPU, you probably won't even notice the PSU's fan spinning up.

Since the PSU isn't the culprit, then likely your graphics card is overheating. I'd probably open up a RMA and have your replaced. Then look at a aftermarket cooler for it to replace the (inadaquate?) stock cooler.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Erm....RMA? So there's no other way than to replace my graphics card? I mean I have to admit it I'm new to this cause it's my 'first' new computer, always got old rigs and I never needed it to perform top gun like, but is there no way to speed up my stock fan?
                    ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

These are the settings to manually control the fan, are yours the same?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Sadly I don't, I have everything except everything fan related, I just can't speed up my fan. Another question... how come I get 68C with Furmark and all Radeons 4800 series can handle 85C easily and it's supposed to be overheating? And the crash happens in every game, even the ones that don't use up much of the horsepower in it
                        ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Back here bumping this little thread with some new info. Now the crazy game crashes don't occur anymore with those freaky lights. No idea why but they stopped, although now I have a even bigger problem, my computer literally shuts down, and now it doesn't matter if I'm playing or not, it just stops and that's it, screen goes black and the little noise that my silent computer makes does a little 'Wrummm' to a even quieter pace if not stop.

It happens quite often, once in 2 hours at least I'd say but sometimes even more. So now I'm wondering, is it really my graphics card? Because if the temperatures are correct I never get close to what Radeons can handle, max for me was 68C with Furmark testing it and around 65 actually seeing it when Alt+tab out of Battlefield BC2. I'm questioning that it's my 4870 at fault because I'm just talking over MSN or something and my rig crashes, I'm not really a pro in this but I'm kinda trying to figure it out with what I know.

Any thoughts on this would help and would be greatly appreciated
                          ˝Memento audere semper˝

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X