Please help me buy a UPS..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me buy a UPS..

I don't need anything fancy. I don't need anything that can keep power on for a long time. I just want to protect against fluctuations and such.

Does the rated powersupply need to match my PC's? If so, I have a 500W. Otherwise, would something like this suffice?

Thank you.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Please help me buy a UPS..

I'm not as familiar with UPS' as I'd like to be. I went with a Belkin because I knew that they were solid performers. They aren't the cheapest in the group, but a few times it has been a saver.

A couple things I would look at feature-wise are...

1) Number of outlets.
    2) Does it offer software that will automatically shut down your machine before the power runs out.
    3) Battery time. This varies based on the number of items plugged in.
    4) Interface type. (i.e. USB).

When it comes to the VA, I'm not sure. I don't remember my electical engineering classes from school. In fact, I think those were the ones I skipped.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Comment

Anything from American Power Conversion.. :-) I'm a big APC fan.
      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I think I have the exact supply Tempus linked to. No complaints, although it's not in a stressful environment.

Comment

So, should I care about how many watts the UPS supplies? Most of them provide far less than the 500 my PSU is rated at.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
            So, should I care about how many watts the UPS supplies? Most of them provide far less than the 500 my PSU is rated at.

This may or may not run your PC Tempus. The output on this unit is 200 Watts, and for 8 mins only. Although your power supply is 500 watts it does not mean that you PC is using all of it all the time.

IMO you should be at least here.
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842101127

Keep in mind that these type of units are only made to give enough power to save data, and shut down your system properly. Not to run your system during a power outage. For that you need something like this.

http://www.liebert.com/dynamic/displ...24&cycles=60hz

Last edited by Usarion; 06-06-2005, 10:12 PM.

A good man stands up for himself. A great man stands up for others.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
              Anything from American Power Conversion.. :-) I'm a big APC fan.
              They truly are the industry standard. The perfect compromise between quality (in the form of protection) and cost. Sure you can get better protection, but the costs are going to skyrocket. APC is going to do what you need.

I've seen one failed Belkin UPS. I'm not sure it was Belkin's fault, but the batteries leaked and destroyed the UPS. I'll never buy a Belkin UPS. Surge suppressor, yes. UPS, no.

Comment

two things with UPS and power and interelated issues.
                1: You can't hurt your PC by underpowering it, but without enough power the Mobo will reset, which is what you're probably trying to avoid.
                2: Most UPS systems are designed for server machines, which use far less power than Gamer machines powerwise (because they don't use all those power hungry graphics/sound cards and the like).
                They're only really designed to let you manually (or automatically through software) shut down your PC normally during a power outage, thus removing the chance of data loss due to improper shut down. I would assume that something in the 350W range would be more than sufficient power for this, becuase there aren't much in the way of PC's that use more than 350W peak. (it's only when you really start loading your PC down with large raid arrays and many internal and powerful cards that your power usage starts to climb near that)

In case you're wondering how large a power supply you really need, consult the following chart:

Component Requirement Line(s) Used
                AGP Video Card 30W 50W +3.3V
                PCI Express Video 50W 100W +12V
                Average PCI Card 10W +5V
                DVD/CD 20W 40W +5V and +12V
                Hard Drive 10W 30W +5V and +12V
                Case/CPU Fans 3W (ea.) +12V
                Motherboard 50 100W +3.3V, +5V, and +12V
                RAM 8W per 128MB +3.3V
                Pentium III Processor 38W +5V
                Pentium 4 Processor 70W 100W +12V
                AMD Athlon Processor 70W 100W +12V

Keep in mind the number you come up with is going to be a semi-realistic peak usage value, as if you were using *every* possible component in your machine at max power at the same time, which doesn't happen. Most components draw very little power when not actually being used. (some PIII machines even drew as little as 40W when in sleep mode)
                a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I'd go with the APC SUA750XL. It should give you between 30-45 minutes runtime on your average beefed up PC in the event of a power failure.

Newegg seems to have the SUA750 for $257. It's not the XL Variety so the runtime would be a bit shorter, but it's still a good product.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842101137

Comment

What's the difference between a "BackUPS" and a "SmartUPS" in the APC lineup?

I've got one of each at home, but my big SmartUPS has a dying battery and I'm looking to replace it soon... Worth it to buy the battery?
                    Last edited by CingularDuality; 06-07-2005, 01:13 PM. Reason: Ugh, typo/misspelling...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The SmartUPS has a more intelligent control board.

I would certainly replace the batteries! I wouldn't buy them from APC though, if you get them from an OEM vendor they should be considerably cheaper.

I actually live about 5 miles from the APC headquarters. I worked there for several years after high school.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis
                        I would certainly replace the batteries! I wouldn't buy them from APC though, if you get them from an OEM vendor they should be considerably cheaper.
                        I've got a SmartUPS 1400 non-rackmount. I just Googled "apc ups battery" and I see that there are a ton of companies that want to sell me a battery. Any that you've been particularly pleased with?
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X