Cant boot off DVD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant boot off DVD

I have been working on a friend of mines computer and they wanted to upgrade from vista 32 to win 7 64. We bought a legit copy of win 7 home premium off of newegg. It came in this week and this morning i went to install it for them. I backed up everything they needed and then when i went to boot from the dvd i would go to the boot menu and select one of these choices
    1. onboard or USB Floppy Drive
    2. onboard SATA Hard Drive
    3. onboard SATA Hard Drive
    4. onboard or USB CD-Rom Drive
    I select the cd rom drive and once i press enter the system seems to hang up. I let it go for about 10 mins and nothing happened. I also went into bios and set the cd rom as default boot device so it proceded to boot of dvd and the screen goes black with the white _ flashing... Do you guys have any ideas on what to do.

Also the system is a dell XPS 410 if that helps
    |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Re: Cant boot off DVD

You're trying to play a DVD in a CD-ROM drive??

Comment

Check here. Unless this is a bizzare XPS-410, it should come with a DVD drive. You could also copy the DVD image to a 4G USB key (I post the link to the MS program for W7)

edit: http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

DB
      Last edited by Dick Blonov; 02-27-2010, 06:07 PM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I meant it is a dvd drive but shows up in the boot screen as a cd drive.... I know its a dvd drive because when i put the disk in when in vista is recognizes it

and for the usb drive i will try that
        |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Check the BOIS set-up link I posted. The DVD drive may be a sata drive. It might show up elsewhere in the boot menu.

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

I just reinstalled yesterday and had the same thing happen. For some reason I had to unplug any other storage devices before it would work. I unplugged all my external USB drives and my internal SATA drives. Leaving only my Primary C/ drive plugged in.

Comment

Ill try all of these this weekend when i go over to finish...

DB i dont see any setting for the BIOS in that link were u refering to the download tool?

bx ill try doing that also if i keep having the problem
              |TG-31st| WarPig1292

Comment

Originally posted by warpig1292 View Post
                Ill try all of these this weekend when i go over to finish...

DB i dont see any setting for the BIOS in that link were u refering to the download tool?

bx ill try doing that also if i keep having the problem
                New forum does not seem to show links highlighted unless you mouse over them. Here goes:http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1055392

DB

| |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X