Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading so I can play BF:BC2 - Advice Requested

Good afternoon all!

Real life (especially work) kicked in pretty hard a year and a half or so ago and I've been away from TG for a bit, which inherently means I've been away from gaming for a bit. Things are finally slowing down a little and with BF:BC2 just around the corner I need to look at upgrading if I want to get back into gaming at all. Since I see a lot of other TGers upgrading I thought I'd start my search here because I don't need cutting edge stuff, just middle of the road stuff. Figured I'd get some advice and see if anyone is looking to get rid of their 'old' stuff as well.

So, with that background, here is my situation...

Currently I have a single CPU P4 2.66Ghz, 2GB RAM and an AGP 7800GS. Yeah, I know it's all pretty much useless with today's games and doesn't have a chance, but that's where I'm at.

I have a nice Antec case that I'm happy with and I snagged a 500W Ultra power supply a couple of years ago that has been rock solid. I have IDE drives all around but I rarely burn CD/DVDs so initially I can put up with IDE there. I did just have to replace my primary OS when my old one crashed a month or so ago so I have a month old 500GB PATA drive I can use as well if need be but understand it would be better to go with a SATA drive as my primary and the 500GB PATA could become a backup drive. My existing keyboard, mouse and headset are all good and I'd still like to use the single TV tuner I'm using right now that is PCI.

So, I think I need: Motherboard, CPU, RAM, video & hard drive at most.

I found these parts in a Buy/Sell/Trade thread (http://www.tacticalgamer.com/buy-sel...-mobo-ram.html) and have PM'd PCLiPSE but it looks like he hasn't been on since the beginning of the month so I don't even know if those parts are still available.

He was down to $100+shipping for:

1. Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe WiFi Edition Motherboard AM2+
    2. AMD Athlon X2 6400+ 3.2GHz Black Box Edition
    3. 4GB of 800MHz Corsair RAM 5-5-5-18

Which seemed like a good deal. Any thoughts on that hardware, it seems it would meet the minimum specs for BF:BC2 with the addition of a decent video card.

Otherwise, anyone have anything similar they are looking to sell? I could also use advice on what a good middle of the road video card is these days. I haven't looked at upgrading hardware in 4 or so years so I'm not current on anything all.

Re: Upgrading so I can play BF:BC2 - Advice Requested

I'm not sure what your budget is, however you may want to look into a combo that supports AM3 proc. When I look to upgrade, I like to get something that I will be able to upgrade further later on. That Mobo does not support any AM3 CPUs. That being said. Tiger has some pretty decent AMD combo deals right now. Some of them even have Mobo, CPU,Ram,& Vid card. As far as video cards go, right now you can't beat ATIs 5xxx series for price/ performance value. The HD 5770 screams for ~$170-$190 and the 5800s just add more eye candy to your games for a few bucks more. (BTW I am a long time Nvida fanboy who is considering defecting)

Comment

The deal you mention is maybe decent for the price, but it is going to be hurting on recently released games and the ones out later this year. It is a bit lower than "middle of the road". But for older games and general computer stuff it would be fine for $100.

ForGlory&Pain posted a link to this review and it includes that CPU so you can get some idea what I mean :
      Giant roundup: 131 Intel and AMD processors!

As bxmedic said, without a budget we are kind of stuck guessing so get back to us with that.
      Until then, you really can't beat the i5 750 setup. It will last you probably 3 years minimum if you get a decent gfx card to go with it. Especially if you get one with USB3.0 and SATA6 like one of these boards:
      http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=8110%3A50511

Here is the newegg link to the combo deals page for it (7 pages worth!)

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor

So you could get a deal on like the CPU and motherboard, and then find another deal on like the RAM and a new Sata harddrive.
      You can get like a Western Digital 640gig Black drive for $65 that would be much much better than your old drive.
      And I would spend the extra money and get rid of your old optical drives for sure. It would be worth it. A SATA burner is as low as $25-$35, and just a DVD-ROM is like $20. Would mean no messing with jumper pins or fat gray ribbon cables ever again. Just plug and play SATA.
      Last edited by Bamboo; 02-28-2010, 11:21 AM.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Sorry for the lack of talk of my budget, kinda of important information.

At the moment I'm probably looking $500 max. I know that's not a lot to work with and it may be that budget simply isn't realistic for doing what I want to do. At this point my gaming time will at least exist, but it will still be pretty limited so my target right now is being able to play BF:BC2. My TG history is with the BF series so that will be my focus with limited gaming time I will have.

And, as much as I would love to be bleeding edge with hardware like I was when I was younger, my financial reality means I'm happy with things that are middle of the road. :) I'm curious as to whether BF:BC2 is realistically playable with any type of dual core setup that is cost-effective for me to look at. That's one of the reasons I was seeing if anyone who had upgraded recently had anything they were selling. I don't need all settings at max, I'm moving up from a P4 that played BF2 at medium at it's best so anything is an improvement!

And and all advice is appreciated!

Comment

At $500 it is pretty tight, but understandable these days.
          But at the same time you don't want to just throw money at something that will limit you and you will be wanting to upgrade again in a year.
          For Bad Company, I know Jeepo has a dual core Intel 6700 and he says when it plays it is maxed out and limiting his Nvidia 275 gfx. card.

I was just randomly thinking about how to save you some cash and noticed it says you live in Kansas City. If that is still true, you have a store there called Micro Center that usually has some really crazy good in store only deals. One of them right now is the Intel i5 750 I mentioned above. They have it for $15 less than Newegg, and the Invisible Hand App says Newegg has the lowest price available. So less than newegg is really good.
          Link:
          Core i5 750 Processor Boxed

Other deals are out there. This one from the beginning of Feb. is really mind blowing if you live near a Fry's store, or have a buddy who does:
          Intel Core i5-750 Processor + Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Motherboard (USB3 + SATA3) $210AR @ Fry's B&M

So something like that with some ram and a gfx. card and new HD and you could come in around your budget budget. Actually, that setup would spank my computer.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalAssassin View Post
            At the moment I'm probably looking $500 max.
            Get together with your squad mate W6 that started a thread on exactly this topic not too long ago man-

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/battlef...hat-i-did.html

I just popped in a Phenom II X4 945 (95 watt) myself, and am pleased.

Comment

The game is horribly choppy for me, so here is a list of my hardware and hopefully I can get some good ideas for upgrades. I really don't know how much I am able to spend yet, but if I want a bandaid (as in quick temp fix), I may be limited to about 150 bucks until I can set aside some cash for major upgrades/rebuilds.

Mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe
              CPU: Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
              2 gig of ram (can't do more because I have win xp if I recall)
              Video: Nvidia 7600 GS

Thanks for any feedback. Hopefully I listed all the info folks need to rag on my dinosaur :)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spur View Post
                The game is horribly choppy for me, so here is a list of my hardware and hopefully I can get some good ideas for upgrades. I really don't know how much I am able to spend yet, but if I want a bandaid (as in quick temp fix), I may be limited to about 150 bucks until I can set aside some cash for major upgrades/rebuilds.

Mobo: Asus P5B Deluxe
                CPU: Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13 GHz
                2 gig of ram (can't do more because I have win xp if I recall)
                Video: Nvidia 7600 GS

Thanks for any feedback. Hopefully I listed all the info folks need to rag on my dinosaur :)
                Definitely upgrade your video card because it's below the minimum requirements. Check out what you can get for $150 like a 5770 if you can find one and cram it into your budget.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  Intel Core i5-750 Processor + Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Motherboard (USB3 + SATA3) $210AR @ Fry's B&M

So something like that with some ram and a gfx. card and new HD and you could come in around your budget budget. Actually, that setup would spank my computer.
                  I was about to suggest an Athlon2 X4 combo from Newegg until I saw this. This would be a great place to start. That Core i5 would last you a long time and from what I understand, BC2 is CPU bound so it should work pretty well for that.

I just finished downloading and playing through the first mission and on low settings at 1680x1050, it runs as smooth as butter on my aging machine. (AMD64 5600+, 4GB RAM and a Radeon 2900XT). The game doesn't look as pretty as it could but it is still a ton of fun. You could easily build something quite a bit better than my rig for $500.
                  sigpic

Comment

AMD CPU's will get you a lot more bang for your buck generally speaking - checkout the Phenom II quad-core series... you can get some pretty good cpu/mobo combo deals on newegg.

Comment

I built a wishlist for you on newegg but until it goes public i'll just show you the html file.

That should run with your current case and PSU. Just use your old keyboard and mouse till you can get better. That will run BC2 very smoothly and a good chunk of most of the games around.

- -

Comment

Thanks for the info and build Vulcan. Quick question, after more research I'm not sure my power supply will work, so I did some research and have had to add $50 for a base line power supply.

What are your thoughts on the Athlon X2 in my original post vs the E7500. If I stick with the parts in my original post I found the other items you mentioned a little cheaper at my local MicroCenter and with taxes and shipping on the other parts I come in right $400 which is my perferable # but you are close enough that if the CPUs are noticeably different maybe I'll try to add another a little more money to the budget. :)

Comment

That cpu is very old. If you get into the system i mentioned above, you'll be able to keep with tech for another 3 years. You can eventually upgrade to a quad core and future video cards will still work on the pci express x16 slot. There are comparable deals with amd if you want amd but I just don't know enough about all the tons of cpu's amd has to really know the best deal.

You should be able to spend 40 bucks on a psu even lower end for now and stay within budget or maybe just a tad over. If you have to cut a cost anywhere do it on the vid card.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817339025
                          You could try for deals on a psu too but not to many atm on newegg for them.

I use a build very similar to this but slightly upgraded. Same manufacturers though and ones i've used for years that haven't let me down yet.

What about an OS?
                          Last edited by Vulcan; 03-03-2010, 11:09 AM.

- -

Comment

Based upon Vulcan's Recommendations I created a wish list on Newegg. Here's a screenshot of the contents.

Any concerns with any of those items working OK together (i.e. power supply and MB/CPU)? The motherboard supports 2 PATA devices which is great because I can just move over my existing DVD burner (which I rarely use) and the 500GB PATA drive I bought a few months ago as a backup drive for the primary SATA drive.

This also basically only has me re-using my case and keyboard/mouse/monitor so everything else is new and under warranty. Think I can play BF:BC2 on medium with this new rig? I'll be happy if so. :)

With 3 day shipping my total comes in @ $492.

Comment

Please don't get a LGA775 system, see here for some benches on the i3s, and a direct comparison of the i3 530 and the C2D E7500 here

$120 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115222

$85 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157182

or
                              $200 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.354491

RAM
                              $57 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134788

You might even be able to find more combo deals but what you save in that combo above pays for the difference in RAM, which has free shipping.
                              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X