How Much Power for a Gaming System?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Power for a Gaming System?

"Common wattages range from 300W to 500W, although for a high-end gaming power supply wattages of 500W to 800W are common."

I am building a mid-level gaming system, will probably load it with 12 GB ram, eventually 3 to 4 drives, and SSD, Intel i7 930 chip on a ASUS P6X58D MoB, liquid cooling and a pile of fans.

Aside from the tricky question of which is the better manufacturer, how much power should I get to run the system and leave room for expansion?

I am currently contemplating a Corsair HX 750W ($190 CND). Don't bother telling me how much you can get it for in the U.S. (everything is cheaper in the States except health care...).

Thanks!
    sigpic

Re: How Much Power for a Gaming System?

I am about to build a new rig VERY similar to yours. This is the PSU I was looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Here is a power calculator tool. There are different ones around. http://www.antec.outervision.com/
      One of your main considerations will be whether you are running one video card or more. Most cards suffer 3D performance loss without enough power, but that seems to be more of a 2+ card issue. If you are going to run 2+ cards or think you may in the future, then 700+ should be enough like the one posted above. One nice feature of some PSUs now is modular power. You can add/remove cables as needed. **keep in mind if you use the calculator that peak power for GFX many be significantly higher that the power needed to just keep it running.

Comment

I use the Corsair HX 1,000 watt, it is overkill for what I have connected to it, but it does not run at full capacity so there is less strain on the unit and it allows me to add in a lot more hardware, which I plan on doing in the future, it is also modular and keeps the cable clutter in the case to the minimum.

Comment

If you ever think about Crossfire or SLI with 2 high-end cards, 850W. For a single card, 750W should leave you with some headroom for additional drives and overclocking.

DB
          Last edited by Dick Blonov; 03-01-2010, 07:00 PM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Thank you for all the very helpful replies.

I am thinking in terms of a ASUS Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E video card (perhaps two of these if that makes sense), or its equivalent.

So it looks like I will need a 850w PSU, and I'll probably get the Corsair HX850.

There are claims of significant quality differences between the TX and HX series.

Some relevant discussions:

HX and TX series

And this and this discussion.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E-Male View Post

I am building a mid-level gaming system, will probably load it with 12 GB ram, eventually 3 to 4 drives, and SSD, Intel i7 930 chip on a ASUS P6X58D MoB, liquid cooling and a pile of fans.
              Don't ya think its going to be.... say...... "upper mid-level" at least ??? ;)

I'm enjoying following your two threads E-Male.
              As, always the knowledge and advice here in the Hardware & Software Discussion sub-forum are top notch.

Good luck with everything. I cant wait to hear what you end up with.
              It's gonna be killer !

|

Comment

Originally posted by jb4 View Post
                One nice feature of some PSUs now is modular power. You can add/remove cables as needed.
                +1. If you care at all for not having the inside of your case look like a rat's nest, get a PSU with modular cable management.
                Twisted Firestarter
                a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse