How much is too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is too much?

Okay, so i just bought my computer up grades, and the RAM i got was "Dual Channel 2 GB DDR400 PC3200", now ive heard that too much ram can actualy slow down your computer. I was wondering, If i ran Windows XP Pro X64 would i notice this RAM slowing?

Assumeing that my dad will allow me to use his copy of Windows XP Pro to exchange it for X64...
    Oyee

Re: How much is too much?

2 gb is wayyy too much. you need to give me a gigabyte so that you will have good performance.

you can thank me later

Comment

i have 2gb of RAM on this comp running on winXP and it runs fine. i wouldnt understand how too much ram would slow a comp down. mabey it would take longer to locate the stored temporary memory on it? i dont think so.

Comment

the main problem is latencies.

some 1gig modules have rather poor latencies like 3-4-4-8 t2 which is quiet alot slower than 2-2-2-8 t1. some best ram makers now offer better ones.

Likewise sticking in 4x512mb 2-2-2-8 t1 sticks you will often find the MB freaks out and wont be able to run t1 with 4 slots filled, and you will probably have to lower latencies too.

1gig is "enough" for gaming.
        From Adam Webb

Comment

Some older processors and operating systems had a limit on the amount of memory they could use. Memory above that amount would cause instability and other sorts of problems. This was rarely a problem on the average desktop. Most of the concern was with servers that required extensive amounts of memory.

Running WinXP Pro 64bit should easily be able to handle 2 GB of memory.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

yeah win 98 had a 512mb limit, although that could be worked around

XP has a 4gig limit (i think?)
            64bit XP has a almost unlimited limit? lol
            From Adam Webb

Comment

You also have to deal with a larger page table, which will take more memmory and be, less cachable.
              The run down. Intel processors can have a virtual memmory, where the virtual address doesn't nessisarly point to the physical address on the ram stick and hard drive. Where the virtual address points to is stored in Page Table Entries. The intel processor can access memmory quite quickly by caching the PTE's and having specialized circutry to utilze it in such a fasion. I'm making an assumtion here, that you might run out of cache space. ANYHOW if you wanna learn more about this, check out "Intel's Archetecture Software Developer's Manual: Volume 3: System Programming Guide" Chapters 3.6 "PAGING (VIRTUAL MEMMORY) OVERVIEW" and 3.7 "PAGE TRANSLATIONS USING 32-BIT PHYSICAL ADDRESSING" and due to the fact that with a page file you might be going over the 4 GB boundry, you might wanna look at chapter 3.8 as well.

Comment

I think he is on an A64.......
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Ya, its going to be here on the 12/13, but this is what im getting:
                  Chaintech S1689 Socket 939 ATX Motherboard
                  AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor
                  Ultra Fire Copper CPU Cooling Fan
                  Corsair Dual Channel 2048MB PC3200 DDR
                  2 40gig Maxtor 7200rpm HHD Raid 0
                  1 3ogig Maxtor 5200rpm IDE
                  1 52X CD-ROM, from my old computer
                  1 48X CD-RW, from my old computer
                  XFX GeForce 6800
                  Black 3.5" Floppy
                  MGE Viper Case

Ill look into the latency on tha ram.

Edit:
                  Windows XP Professional x64 Edition supports 128 GB of RAM and 16 terabytes of virtual memory

I think this is what ive got, dont quite remember:
                  Memory Size
                  2 x 1024MB

Memory Speed
                  400MHz PC3200

Memory CAS Latency

Memory Type
                  Dual Channel DDR

Pins

link:
                  http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Tab=2&NoMapp=0
                  Oyee

Comment

to be fair why do you need 2gig ram blackviper? what do you do? 1gig is fine for games, and that extra <200 (not sure on US$) could be used to buy a 6800ultra instead of a 6800....
                    From Adam Webb

Comment

I already had a 6800, i wasnt expecting on buying a new computer when i got my GFX card. My dad said that i wouldnt notice much difference since my old computer only has AGP4X, so he said he help get/build a new computer.

Since i already had a AGP 6800 i built around taht, money was no object as long as it wasnt over 600. lol, so ya.

Anyway, the 2gig of ram wasnt taht much more that the 1gig i was going to get, they were the same, dual channel 184 pin, same latency, but 50 bucks more for the extra gig, on sale, buy one get one half off sorta thing. So thats why i got it, well that and BF2/Movie Editing/PhotoShop/Uber multi-tasking(Firefox:"4-9 Tabs at once"/Office Outlook2k3/Ect)
                      Oyee

Comment

oh, at least you got a good deal on it i guess...

and movie editing and photoshop will like 2gig
                        From Adam Webb

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...