• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water? No. Liquid metal is what you want

Look at this stuff;

http://www.nanocoolers.com/technology_liquid.php

That's some serious cool right there.

Re: Water? No. Liquid metal is what you want

Man, that looks slick! Some type of liquid state nanometal, used as a coolant? Where can I get one of these?

Comment

Moving liquid metal... I smell magnetic interference with everything.
      USAR

Comment

Yes squeak there will be horrible magnetic interference I am sure they overlooked that ginormous issue when designing a part to be put in a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
          Man, that looks slick! Some type of liquid state nanometal, used as a coolant? Where can I get one of these?
          i've emailed them to ask as they seem to be the only ones making a LMC system so far, but no reply yet.

Apparently the ATi is supposedly using the same technology in it's new X850. Not that i can find any mention of it in the X850's blurb though.

lol micr0c0sm

Comment

This seems a little bit familiar...

http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/...howtopic=94436

Originally posted by Black_Viper Of Natural Selection Forums
            Pages: (2) [1] 2 For You Overclockers, Super cooling that lasts...

Liquid Metal Cooling
            http://www.nanocoolers.com/technology_liquid.php
            Edit: Removed image, looked like crap.

So does this mean i can overclock my PC to like 5 Ghz?
            I too e-mailed them to get some information, but i havent heard back from them yet... Been 3 days.
            Last edited by Black_V!per; 06-11-2005, 05:24 PM.
            Oyee

Comment

That's a coincedence! Did you see we posted within 1/2 an hour of each other?

Cutting edge, us. Eh? :)

Comment

Wow thats freaky, but i beat u, lol, i posted on another forum before the NS forums, id link it, but its got nude pics on there, and i dont think thats allowed here.
                Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
                  Wow thats freaky, but i beat u, lol, i posted on another forum before the NS forums, id link it, but its got nude pics on there, and i dont think thats allowed here.
                  As long as you warn people of the nature of the link, and you don't display anything offensive here, you should be OK.
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

The EM pump appeals to me as a physicist. A very simple solution, but how do they find a metal which will stay liquid at such low temperatures? Presumably, it would have to stay liquid when the computer was switched off and sat in a cold house i.e. 10C or less. If it ever solidified, it would reduce in volume and probably cause the pipes to crack. It would then leak out the next time it was heated. It would be good if they stated which metal or metal alloy they used.
                    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                      The EM pump appeals to me as a physicist. A very simple solution, but how do they find a metal which will stay liquid at such low temperatures? Presumably, it would have to stay liquid when the computer was switched off and sat in a cold house i.e. 10C or less. If it ever solidified, it would reduce in volume and probably cause the pipes to crack. It would then leak out the next time it was heated. It would be good if they stated which metal or metal alloy they used.
                      Wouldn't mercury qualify for this?
                      Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I read somewhere that it was gallium.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

pretty nice looking system, and i doubt there will be any magnetic interference if the engineers making it work hard enough. The magnets will probably just direct their force in a highly concentrated way, so as to keep the force contained. If the unit is placed in the computer properly, the magnetic force shouldn't target any of the other components of the computer... It'll be interesting to see how the system turns out.
                          OWN3D!

Comment

Originally posted by Crunkimus
                            pretty nice looking system, and i doubt there will be any magnetic interference if the engineers making it work hard enough. The magnets will probably just direct their force in a highly concentrated way, so as to keep the force contained. If the unit is placed in the computer properly, the magnetic force shouldn't target any of the other components of the computer... It'll be interesting to see how the system turns out.
                            Magnets do not 'direct their force' for two reasons.
                            1) They produce a magnetic field, which is not the same as a force, although that is a technicality.
                            2) Magnetic fields tend to be ellipsoidal. This is because magnetic field lines do not end, they always form a loop. You can see this looking at the bottom diagram if you follow the link above. You can think of them as being analogous to contour lines on a map.This makes it hard to produce a confined field.

There will be two fields to consider. The field from the electromagnets in the pump and the field from the moving electrons in the liquid metal as it flows around the pipes.

Gallium looks like a good bet for the metal.
                            Standard state: solid at 298 K (25C) (but melts only slightly above this temperature)
                            It is the only metal, except for mercury, caesium, and rubidium, which can be liquid near room temperatures. It has one of the longest liquid ranges of any metal and has a low vapour pressure even at high temperatures.
                            Gallium is normally a byproduct of the manufacture of aluminium.
                            The metal expands on solidifying; therefore, it should not be stored in glass or metal containers, as they may break as the metal solidifies.
                            http://www.webelements.com/webelemen...xt/Ga/key.html

However it would still solidify at room temperature or below which may crack the pipes.
                            Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X