Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring/Summer 2010 Upgrade - Recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring/Summer 2010 Upgrade - Recommendations?

After some months of debating with myself, I've decided to dip into my "rainy day" funds. It might be a bad decision, but I'll regret it later. I want to upgrade my current rig of almost 2 years old in the coming months.

The parts I'm focusing on are:
    1. CPU
    2. RAM (already picked out)
    3. Graphics Card
    4. (Maybe) Hard Drive
    5. Monitor

I currently am using the following in my rig:
    1. Core 2 Duo E8400
    2. 2 x 2 GB Corsair DDR2 800
    3. 512 MB eVGA nVidia GeForce 8800GT Superclocked (PCI-E 2.0)
    4. 320 GB Seagate 7200.11 HDD
    5. 19" Samsung SyncMaster 931B

PSU: Corsair 520W

1. I want a quad-core, a C2Q, but which one is the right one? The Q9550?
    2. I'm going to get the same 2 x 2 GB pair that I currently have for RAM. (~$90)
    3. I had the GTX260 picked out for my short list a while back. Now with all the new cards out, I'm kinda lost. ATI or nVidia? Which models?
    4. Maybe I'll get a 500 GB one and put my old one in another rig.
    5. 24" LCD monitor definitely! And it has to have at least 1920 x 1200 resolution. None of that "Full HD" crap unless someone comes up with some really good compelling reason.

Budget: $500 to $800 (I really don't want to go too much over this if I can help it. I'll leave out the monitor if need be.)

I use the rig for practically everything. From animation to coding to production work (future) and gaming and everything else in between (hence my need for the extra 4 GBs of RAM).

Lastly, I'm assuming this does not this affect my current install of Windows Pro x64 seeing how I'm not upgrading my motherboard?

Fire away with the suggestions!
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Spring/Summer 2010 Upgrade - Recommendations?

Good to see you acreo.

Cpu
    q8400 yorkfield is stellar at 170 bucks - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115057

Vid card you can get a gtx 280 or ati 5850 and both are pretty equal with a slight edge to ati at that price range. Just personal preference for you. The gtx has been around longer and tested more though the ati has a higher performance rating.
    Benchmarks

Great monitor company and reviews to show for it
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236049

That totals out at 750 about. You can cut cost on vid card though easily.

As always i recommend seagate hard drives.

- -

Comment

What if I went for the Q9505? Is there a big real-world performance difference between the slower clocked Q8200 and the Q9505?
      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
      Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

This may sound dumb but I just picked up an ATI 4890 for 170 dollars and it plays BFBC2 like butter and is ranked 4th on the list(yes I know.....no DX11) It was barely beaten by the GTX285. You can't argue that price for that performance.
        "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

Yeah it's much faster but it's also 70 dollars more. The difference in price matches the performance. If you're running 3ds max or the like you would probably appreciate the stronger CPU if you want to spend more on it. You could get a gtx 260 or equivalent in that case to even the money out.

- -

Comment

Is the ATI equivalent to the GTX260 cheaper in price? And what is the equivalent?
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
              Is the ATI equivalent to the GTX260 cheaper in price? And what is the equivalent?
              according to the highend card bench marks the 4870 is a touch higher in performance than the 260 and in the 165-170 range.....the 4890 I got was on sale....the normal price is like 200ollars....still alot better than the 360 dollar gtx 275 it beats.
              "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

I think your CPU is fine for now. Spend around $300-350 on a video card and the 24" monitor. Hold off on the CPU and RAM until next year.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

What if I went for the Q9505? Is there a big real-world performance difference between the slower clocked Q8200 and the Q9505?
                  If there's a Microcenter near you, your Avatar shows Depaul U. Chicago which MC has 2 locations, may I suggest the Q9550 for $179 +tax. The Q9550 has 12MB L2 Cache which will crunch nearly every project you throw at it - compared to the Q8xxx at 4MB and Q9505 with 6MB L2 Cache (Newegg Comparison). So for $10 more you get 8MB more L2 cache and higher clock speed. It also overclocks very well, google and you'll find all the reviews you'll need.

If you're going to stay with the 775 socket board then the Q9550 is the best bang for your buck. It was the chip of choice before the i7 and i5 Quad-Cores came out. With the money you save get yourself a nice heatsink to compliment that powerful CPU.

Graphics are a different story. YOU have to decide if you want a current DX10 card or new DX11 card. With your budget you can get the DX10 cards Vulcan recommended and run games fine. Long term, DX11 makes sense as down the road more games and graphics will incorporate DX11 and 3D. If you can wait, Nvidia's new Fermi Cards will be out (by late Spring) and will offer DX11 to compete with ATI's DX11 cards. That competition should drive ATI cards even lower as the try to steal the buzz away from Nvidia's new cards. Should be a win-win either way. Just keep an eye on the 12v Rail(s) power requirements of whichever card you decide on to be sure your PSU can handle it.

-Have fun, Zzzip

:icon_frow
                  |RIP| Counter=Ops 12.09.09 : Marine - Squadmate - Friend
                  sigpic

Comment

Ooooh, didn't know MC had the Q9550 for so cheap. Was looking at Buy.com for $230 after shipping. Nice, should come out to around $200, saving me another $30. :)

Now...
                    CPU: Q9550 (@MC for $179 + tax = ~$199)
                    Monitor: ASUS 25.5" 1920 x 1200 LCD Monitor (@NewEgg for $280 after MIR)

Okay, so looks like everyone's pushing DX11 card. What's the best bang DX11 card right now?

Think my 520W Corsair can still handle the load of the newer DX11 cards and a Q9550?
                    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                    Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Ooooh, didn't know MC had the Q9550 for so cheap. Was looking at Buy.com for $230 after shipping. Nice, should come out to around $200, saving me another $30. :)

Now...
                      CPU: Q9550 (@MC for $179 + tax = ~$199)
                      Monitor: ASUS 25.5" 1920 x 1200 LCD Monitor (@NewEgg for $280 after MIR)

Okay, so looks like everyone's pushing DX11 card. What's the best bang DX11 card right now?

Think my 520W Corsair can still handle the load of the newer DX11 cards and a Q9550?

The new DX11 cards or more energy efficient than anything out there.....that being said you still are fairly light on a PS here's a nice one that will more than cover you

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153116

Comment

Are the HD5000 series cards the only DX11 cards out now? Not sure about getting one, though, since the cheapest is $250, and I really want to keep it down to around $200. The cards are also full length boards rather than the shorter mid-length and haflway-between-mid-and-full length. Might have to take out a hard drive bay and re-cable my system.

Looking at the eXtreme PSU Calculator (Pro), the GTX260 cards draw more power than the HD4870/HD4890 cards (480W total system load vs. 470W/453W). The HD5850 draws even less power, coming in at 453W total system load.

So narrowing my choices down to:
                        HD4870 ($173): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102825
                        HD4890 ($228): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102848
                        GTX260 ($210): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121366
                        HD5830 ($258): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102878

If I take any of the above ATI cards, I can probably scratch by with my current PSU seeing how that load is maximum load from every part in the system. However with the GTX260, I'd probably have to upgrade to a 650W PSU just to be on the safe side.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

my votes for the 4890....not DX11 but we haven't really seen good DX10 games until recently and its been out how long? It's a beast of a card for 200 dollars no doubt.

Comment

Any BSODs or crashes with the ATI drivers (like on computer restarts)?
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Okay, looked at Guru3D and Overclocker's Club's reviews of the HD4890. Looks like I'm settling for a Sapphire HD4890 from NewEgg unless someone here knows where I can get one for cheaper than $220 or where there's one in stock (NewEgg has just run out). Looks like it beats the GTX260 Core 216 by a good 10 frames in most benchmark games. I figure it's $10 more and I save about 20-25 W of power as well. Not to mention it seems to run cooler by a few C.

So to recap, my list as it stands:

Q9550 (~$200 from Micro Center)
                              1 GB HD4890 (~$220 from NewEgg)
                              2 x 2 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (~$90 from NewEgg)
                              ASUS 25.5" LCD Monitor (~$310 from NewEgg)

All of that works out to around $830 after shipping costs. I'm leaving out the hard drive due to cost. Left out a new PSU since I'm sure my current 520W can handle the load (expected to be 463W at peak system load).

Thanks to Vulcan, Zippy, Sarc, and Venman! :)
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X