PCI-Express to AGP bridge card

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI-Express to AGP bridge card

Does anyone know of a PCI-express to AGP bridge card?

I know there is an AGP to PCI-express bridge card so folks with new mobos can use their old AGP video cards. What I need is the opposite. I'm planning to buy a new video card but will not be purchasing the new mobo. I'd like to get a PCI-express card so that when I do upgrade the mobo, all things will be happy.

Anything I've been able to find about PCI-express to AGP is a chip that manufacturers place on their video cards so they can use the old AGP chips but make a pci-e card.

If I can't find a PCI-e to AGP bridge card, then it looks like I'll have to purchase a nVidia 6800GT AGP.
    |TG-12th| asch
    sigpic

Re: PCI-Express to AGP bridge card

PCI is. It is set in stone and is not subject to change.

( sorry... couldn't resist.. lol )
    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

I'm pretty sure none exist. If you have an AGP mobo buy and AGP card.

Comment

I hope this helps.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...005103646.html

And another i just found:
        Rialto Bridge Chip (PCI-Express to AGP bridge chipset)

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...?cid=3&id=1545
        Oyee

Comment

lol @ Wyz (funny man)

Black_Viper... those articles are about the PCI-Express to AGP Bridge Chip. I need a card. The chip is what manufacturers build into their cards so that the old GPUs that supported AGP can be used on new video cards that have a PCI-E connection. Thanks for the links though.

I'm looking for a card that will plug into the AGP slot I have and also accept a new PCI-E board.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch
            I'm looking for a card that will plug into the AGP slot I have and also accept a new PCI-E board.
            Wouldn't that degrade performance?

Comment

Well ya, 16X into 8X slows it 100%... Its like a hour glass, Sand goes from a 1" pipe into a .5" pipe.
              Oyee

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                Wouldn't that degrade performance?
                Yeah, but I think he is planning on upgrading his mainboard much sooner than he wants to upgrade his graphics card, so he wants to buy a PCI-e card right now...

I think he'll be better off buying a good AGP card now and a good PCIe card later... I think that the combination of graphics cards prices dropping over time and not having to buy a seperate card just for compatibility will make the actual money spent to be quite comparable...
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

What I would like to do is buy a nVidia 6800GT PCI-e video card with a bridge so I can use it in my current mobo. In about a year, I hope to buy a dual processor 64bit mobo / CPU that supports PCI-e.

I'm willing to accept the slightly less performance now so that I don't have to buy a new video card next year.

If I buy an AGP video card now, then in a year when I'm ready to upgrade the mobo/cpu I'll have to buy another video card.
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by asch
                    If I buy an AGP video card now, then in a year when I'm ready to upgrade the mobo/cpu I'll have to buy another video card.
                    Yeah, but that 6800GT is going to be MUCH cheaper if you wait a year to purchase it. Perhaps even cheaper than the cost of an AGP to PCIe adapter! Plus, you'll have an AGP card to keep with the AGP motherboard when you sell it or build your backup PC or whatever...
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                      Yeah, but that 6800GT is going to be MUCH cheaper if you wait a year to purchase it. Perhaps even cheaper than the cost of an AGP to PCIe adapter! Plus, you'll have an AGP card to keep with the AGP motherboard when you sell it or build your backup PC or whatever...
                      Yeah, I expect the 6800GT (PCI-E) to be half the price it is now by the time I buy a new mobo/cpu. The current AGP-to-PCIe bridges aren't that expensive and was hoping the same would be for the reverse. I have an nVidia 5700 that will probably stick around with my current mobo/cpu. That will eventually become a multi-media machine.

Depending on how BF2 runs with my current setup, I may have to break down and get the 6800GT (AGP).
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...