No announcement yet.

Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT or Directx8/9 problem troubleshoot..

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT or Directx8/9 problem troubleshoot..

Some games that used to work, don't.
    I used to be able to play Crimsonland (DX8.1, Direct3d), but error
    "No supported display adapters were found on your system. You may not have Direct3D 8.1 compatible display adapter installed."

I used to be able to play Hammerfight (DX8.1), but crashes [no error]

I used to be able to play various Gamemaker games (DX8.0, Direct3d), but error
    "Failed to initialize drawing surfaces. Please check that your graphics card meets the minimum requirements and that your drivers are up to date. If your graphics card has little memory, try switching your computer to a lower resolution"

I used to be able to play Irrlicht (DX8.1, DX9.0c) but crashes.
    [does not crash using OpenGL]
    [NOTE: Users can choose how Irrlicht renders scenes. Crashes on DX8.1 and 9.0c, but not on OpenGL]

I tried , but
    "Couldn't create the Direct3D device!"

I used to be able to play Battlefield 2142 (DX9.0c), but crashes [no error]

Stuff still works! (chronological order)
    Star Wars: Rebellion -sortof, except for the DX5 space battles-
    Deus Ex
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

What I tried so far
    1) dxdiag - no errors
    2) Updated NVidia drivers from official site. Updated Directx
    3) Device Manager- display adapter has no warning
    4) tried to enable Hardware Acceleration, but the option was grayed out, saying that my "current display driver does not allow changes to be made to hardware acceleration settings."
    5) downloaded the Directx 9.0c full package and ran the setup exe.
    6) uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, rebooted in safe mode, ran driversweeper, reinstalled nvidia drivers
    7) cried

How it all started
    I installed StarWars: Rebellion, a game made in 1998. The game plays fine, except space battles were so laggy it was unplayable.

I did the smart thing and downloaded some hotfix It didn't help, so I updated my graphics drivers.

I do NOT know where the problem is taking place.. is it taking place because of the hotfix, or because of the updated drivers? (note: I'm not the only one having problems with NVidia updated drivers

My computer as obtained from DXDiag
    Sager laptop
    Windows Vista 32bit
    Nvidia Geforce 9600m GT
    DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Approx Total Memory: 1755 mb
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor (this doesn't look familiar, though it could be that I haven't paid much attention til now)
    DirectX 10
    Intel Core2 Duo CPU P8600 (2 CPUs)
    3066MB RAM

nvd3dum.dll, nvwgf2um.dll, nvwgf2um <the rest is hidden>
    Version: 8.17.0011.9562 (English)
    Date: 11/20/09
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    DDI Version: 10

I'm seriously considering putting this thing back to its factory settings.
    Of course, I'd need to buy an external harddrive, put all my stuff onto the new harddrive, update my drivers/windows, test to make sure drivers aren't causing the headache, reinstall my favorite games and utilities, redownload visual studio, re-bookmark my bookmarks, re-find my registration keys to my utilities... etc.

I'm just putting it out there. I'm getting a little frustrated at discovering how many things that I like revolve around directx8/9.
    And you know... if I do set it to factory conditions and re-update NVidia, and if NVidia was in fact the root of everything gone horribly wrong, I'd have spent all that time putting my machine into the same flawed state it is in now.
    Without teamwork, you'll never survive.
    Without betrayal you'll never win.

Re: Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT or Directx8/9 problem troubleshoot..

I'd actually try an older version of the drivers, and the 195.62 drivers are not the most recent. If you can I would try and uninstall that hot fix just to rule it out.
    Reapator, overlord of ponies

Re: Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT or Directx8/9 problem troubleshoot..

hm.I can't find how to uninstall hotfix.. it isn't present in remove programs, and my googlefu is failing
      Without teamwork, you'll never survive.
      Without betrayal you'll never win.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed