USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s

There has been a lot of talk in many different threads about USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s motherboards and cases that support it. It seems overall if you are looking for a build to 5 or so years or going all out that it would best to look for this support in your new components. I agree with this. My question though is, if I am building a new machine and tend to build one every 2 years, is it really worth it to worry about USB 3.0 and SATA 6 gb/s at moment? In other words, do you think it will be until we start seeing cost efficient peripheral devices that support USB 3.0 and SATA 6 gb/s?

I ask this because when searching for a X58 motherboard with USB 3.0 and SATA 6 gb/s support I see an ASUS and a gigabyte and nothing else. I think you guys get idea, I am just wondering what kind of support for USB 3.0 and SATA 6 gb/s there will be over the next two years and if that should influence my buying now when more than likely I'll be upgrading again in about 2 years.

Re: USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb/s

as far as im aware its not something we will be seeing a lot of just now. currently the only 6gb/s sata SSDs are just insanely priced and will remain so for a while, usb3 stuff will be same. also iv heard lots of people saying early controllers, especially for the sata3 stuff, are very poor last minute addons. so personally i would wait until your next big 2 year upgrade rather then rushing to get it now.

also i dont know how good these supporting motherboards are in terms of overclocking. if you are going high end then the rampage extreme 3 should be out soon which should be a monster board all round but also has sata and usb 3.

Comment

Well any of the Asus or Gigabyte (even some MSI) boards are going to have these features at little to no extra cost so I would just get whatever works best.
      Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

As reaper said, there are a bunch of boards out, and soon will be many more that are being shown at the CeBit show right now. On top of that, the Sandybridge next gen stuff Intel is releasing at the end of this year has native support for both, as well as PCI-E 3.0, so pretty much every board will have it. I'm looking to upgrade when that hits.

Recent links:
        Sandy Bridge supports PCIe 3.0
        Desktop Sandy Bridge uses socket 1155

Something else to consider is resale value. What are you going to do at the end of 2 years with the old board. You would probably be able to sell it for more if it has those features.

You could always just take your chances and later pick up an add in card, but again, that is just one more link in the chain of something that could cause problems. But the cards are like $40.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
          Something else to consider is resale value. What are you going to do at the end of 2 years with the old board. You would probably be able to sell it for more if it has those features.
          What i usually is do is upgrade the wife's computer or mediacenter pc.

Hey bamboo can you point me to some x58 boards that support it. Only one I've found are ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 and GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 LGA 1366 Intel X58

Comment

Crap, just powersearched on newegg, and turns out the boards by like MSI are for p55 and others, not for x58.
            Here are just the x58:
            http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=8110%3A50511

But depending on when you build, the ones from Cebit that are in that thread should be out very soon.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

Any of the gigabyte bords with X58A-UDX have USB 3.0 and SATA3

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813128423
              Reapator, overlord of ponies

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement