Troubleshooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Troubleshooting

Posting from my iPod so I will be brief. I cannot get my desktop to load past the welcome screen just after signing in to it. Running vista, I have had several bsods with an 0x0000007 stop message in the last few weeks. Started after I got my new 22" monitor. I think I have narrowed the stop message to my sata cable for my master hdd. Planning on buying a new cable but just wondering if anyone has some insights. Almost forgot, narrowed it to the sata cable because after crashing and/or doing a soft reset my mobo is not recognizing the drive is there, but plugging and unplugging the cable gets it recognized and I simply redo my boot sequence and I can make it all the way to the welcome page but no further.

Re: Troubleshooting

update: just installed sata 2.0 cable and got my computer running, but system still seems unstable. I made it past the welcome page after a few minutes, but my wallpaper never showed up and the start up bar showed up then went away. I currently have 2 black monitors with a mouse pointer and the windows ring that replaced the hourglass. I plugged into sata port 8 as it is a different color than the other ports and I had hoped it was for higher speed data transfers. Any suggestions?

Comment

Sounds like your HD our your gfx card is dieing. I'd backup anything if you can get the drive to boot and wipe the drive and re-install.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

The HDD and video card are both roughly one year old, my last HHD and video card made it 3 years no problems. Not sure if that might be the case, but HDD is WesternDigital and Video card is an ATI Radeon HD 4500 series.

I physically unplugged every component on the motherboard then gave it a very thorough dusting before replugging all the components. This made the computer happy for about 10 minutes and I managed to play COD: MW2 before system crashed again. No BSOD this time, the whole thing just froze and I couldn't even ctrlaltdel my way out of it. One soft reset later and I cannot seem to get the system to boot up at all. I get BIOS and I can run it, and it is detecting all of my devices properly, but it doesn't seem to like my boot sequence or something because I cannot get it to even run windows in safe mode.

I have been changing BIOS around to try and see if I can fix it, but no luck. The last thing I changed before this last crash was that I set my Primary Graphics adapter to my PCI-E slot, I had it set as PCI for the last year. I noticed as I was cleaning my MoBo that what I thought was a regular PCI that I had my video card in was actually a PCI-E slot.

Also tried changing up Boot sequence amongst shuffling through: CD/DVD drive (master), HDD (IDE slave), external USB HD, and my SATA HDD. I always set the SATA HDD to first in boot sequence, but nothing seems to work.

Comment

Could be the Mobo dying too. Try starting it up with only 1 ram stick, the CPU, the vid card and the HD. Disconnected everything else. See if you get any errors.

Set BIOS back to defaults.
          Try to boot with no ram inserted and see if you get a MOBO error.

I'm not sure what to point to. Just throwing ideas out there.

Might also be a heat issue. Make sure the fan on your Vid card is running and running at a good speed.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

This is off the wall but I get to almost the exact same state you seem to be in every once in a while. I have a long post about it someplace in here. I tried the same things. Re-seating everything. Memory tests. New cables. etc. It usually, but not always, happened when I left my computer on unattended for a period of time. And if a windows update ran during that time it odds went up. Also if I turned it "off" from within Media Center (some kind of hibernate or sleep really) it happened more often.

This is strange but what always fixes it for me is turn off the power supply, let sit for a few minutes then switch it back on. Unplugging doesn't work and turning the system off doesn't work. Only if I flip the switch on the PSU and let sit does everything start working.

When I do this I notice that my mouses LEDs will flash several times a couple of seconds after the switch is flipped. Also my speakers will pop a couple of times and other USB devices seem to cycle. This is after the switch is off for a second of two. I think the mother board gets in a weird state and can't decide if it is hybernating, sleeping, powered off or whatever. When it is rebooted it sends weird status messages to Vista (and Win7) and windows doesn't load device drivers correctly or boot in the correct sequence. Switching the PSU to off sends a signal to the mobo telling it to power down. Simply removing power, as what happens when unplugging, doesn't send the signal.

Or maybe everything I said is complete bunk.

So it is probably not your problem but worth a shot if you haven't tried it.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Thanks for the reply EGG, that does work for me on occassion. Something about flipping the PSU discharges any electrical charge that unplugging does not. I tend to get BSODs too around the time it wants to enter a screensaver, typically its 0x000007A in the past couple of weeks. Googled it and looks like its a typical problem with windows xp and vista, but I'm not sure if that is the extent of my problem as it has gotten worse in the past few days.

Edit to my earlier post too, the HDD is a seagate, and the Video card is ATI Radeon HD 4850.

Comment

Just tried spyder's suggestion, 1 stick RAM, and unplugged everything but the HDD. Went into BIOS and selected to load optimal settings, chose to start up in safe mode, but I get to the screen that says: Loading Windows programs and it goes black after about 15 seconds.

Any ideas what this is pointing to? My mobo or the HDD? Or even the processor? I would put the most faith in my HDD and the processor, it was the Mobo that was a little skimpy, its an MSI p45 neo3

Comment

Sounds like a bad power supply to me...
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I thought about that, but its an Earthwatts and runs up to 500 watts.

Specs for power reference b/c I have no idea how much things add up to:

Intel core 2 duo E8400 Wolfdale 3 GHz (never overclocked)
                    Radeon HD 4850 (mine is a Sapphire, not a visiontek)
                    Seagate Barracuda 500GB
                    Corsair XMS 2 (3 GB DDR 2) it was supposed to be 4GB, but one stick is corrupt and I never returned it
                    MSI P45 Neo 3 PCB 1.0
                    Western Digital WD800 (70 GB HDD)
                    Generic CD/DVD drive
                    21.5" monitor (VGA connection)
                    22" monitor (DVI connection)

Comment

It's been my experience that whenever you can't say with certainty, "It's that component!", that it's almost always the PSU. Sometimes the memory, but usually the PSU.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Okay, sounds good, have a friend coming over with a spare PSU to test later, thanks for the help everyone. I will post later and see if I fixed it.

Comment

After 12 hours of fun trying to fix my computer, I think I settled on it being a corrupt HDD. After a formatting the drive, I installed Windows 7 and I seem to be stable for the time being. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Comment

okay, one week later and I'm having problems again. When I go to start up my computer, I get to a black screen that should have the welcome page on it but it never loads even in safe mode. Every time I restart my computer after that, my bios says my hdd is not detected. Any ideas? Problem seems to me to be either hdd or mobo, but I have also noticed that my tower's power light flickers a lot when my computer will not load, which seems like psu or mobo. The last thing I did before this happened was install dragon age on my hard drive again and shutdown my of with an install new updates prompt from windows.

Comment

I was going to say, those problems all sound like hard drive related. I didn't see it anywhere, but have you tried clearing the CMOS on your mobo?

Got a spare good hard drive to throw in? Maybe make your current one a second and the new one a primary drive. What happened with that PSU your friend brought over? Did it have any effect?

Same with Griingo, had that happen to my old rig. Never did figure out what caused it since it solved itself after a week.
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                              Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                              Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X