No announcement yet.

Overclocking Help/Advice

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking Help/Advice

Alright well generally my PC can play almost any game out to date, except for maybe Crysis and maybe a couple others, on all high settings. The most recent installment of my gaming career has been Bad Company 2, and for the most part, without forcing my DX to 9 and some other small changes, I can run BC2 on all high settings with little to no lag. Maybe a bit more of lag during intense firefights and massive explosions and epic war all around me. And this is the most "powerful" of all the games I play/have played. I want to be able to run everything to the max and still have FPS that will give me the least amount of lag/best quality in-game.

I just recently acquired a job so I will be looking into getting more top-notch games of the future, as well as more PC gaming than console gaming now that I can afford to improve my PC (unless I don't need to for a long time, in which case I'll be saving for a nice powerful gaming laptop like Alien Ware or something along the lines of that).

To get a basic idea of how my PC runs now, I get around 200-300 FPS on CSS, 100+ on Modern Warefare 2, and (I don't know how to actually get an exact number, but from graphs of CSS dips as reference...) on Bad Company 2 about 40-50 on hot spots spots, and around 80-90+ on low spots. For the most part I only get a bit of lag on BC2 when a shell blasts right next to me or there is a lot of brush and buildings in my view.

So basically what I want to know is (I'm a complete noob @ overclocking BTW), will it be 1) worth it to even attempt overclocking my PC, 2) easy to overclock my PC, and 3) risky to try overclocking my PC (As in will I take a risk of damaging any PC components then be stuck with a non-working PC).

My Specs:
    O/S: Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE "AMD Ultra Durable 3 7-series - Supports AMD AM3/AM2+/AM2 Processors" (this is all the knowledge I have of my mobo, I seemed to have misplaced the manual, and this info was located on the driver disc).
    Power Supply: 750W
    Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 910 @ 2.6GHz
    Heatsink/CPU Cooler: I'm not exactly sure what brand/type of CPU Fan I have, but it cost around $9 on iBuypower where I customized my PC from, and when I took a look inside it looks like a good, solid fan, not a choppy or bland looking one.
    Video Card: GeForce 9800GTX+ 1GB
    RAM: 4GB DDR3
    HDD: 500GB
    CD-Drive: "Super Multi" standard CD/DVD-Drive
    Sound: SteelSeries 5HV2 USB Sound Card (5.1 sound, 7.1 virtual sound)
    Peripherals: Razer Mamba (mouse); Razer Lycosa Mirror (keyboard)

Thanks for reading and helping me out!! :)

P.S. I don't necessarily need a guide or how-to on how to overclock my PC just yet. All I need is a solid yes or no for the 3 questions listed above, then if it sounds as if overclocking would do nothing but good things for me and my PC, then I'll consider another thread on tips on how to overclock, where to begin, what to look out for, etc. Situations like that.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed