Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU bottleneck ?

Hello!

Im currently running 3.1 Ghz Athlon 64 X2 with a HD4830 as my video card.

Im planning to get another HD4830 and run crossfire, do you guys think the CPU will become a bottleneck ?

Thanks

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Re: CPU bottleneck ?

4830 Crossfire should give you a little over 4870 = 5770 performance. So yeah for newer multi-core games, it will be a bottleneck. But it depends on what you're gonna play. :)

Comment

Your ability to utilize all of your GPU power is dependent on the resolution you play at and the particular games you are considering.
      |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

The idea of the upgrade was mainly to be able to play BC2 with a res of 1920x1080 and high settings.

But I might wait with it until Nvidia drops their new cards - just to buy a HD5850, when ATI lower the price as a respond to that. I would also upgrade my CPU to a Phenom II 955 or 965.

TG-6th|Almightylion

Comment

For Bfbc2 you'll need a quad core to max it out. I got a Q9550 and a 5850 now and it's smooth at max settings. But it'll be playable at lower settings as well ix you can't wait :)

Comment

I would recommend you not go crossfire, and just spend the little extra money to get a ATI 5*** card or new Nvidia, though from early guesses there won't be anything under $300 from them.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Comment

as you yourself said wait for the nvidia cards to come out (end of this month) if they are good get one if not (looking that way) get a 5 series ati card and try and get a quad core if you can :) not long to wait for nvidia to bring their offering so no worries on waiting for months.

Comment

I was running a 2.6ghz X2 and an 8800gt and I went to a 3.2GHZ Phenom II X4 and my frame rates in most games just about doubled with the same video card. Newer games are very multi-threaded and there are a lot of physics calculations going on now.

A CPU upgrade will be a much better investment given your current hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamboo View Post
                  I would recommend you not go crossfire, and just spend the little extra money to get a ATI 5*** card or new Nvidia, though from early guesses there won't be anything under $300 from them.
                  Second this suggestion. The HD4890 seems to be the current best buy in terms of price-to-performance. The HD5770 I would not recommend seeing how you get what is equivalent to a 9600GSO's performance (just a tad better). And at nearly $200, you'd be better off with a HD4890 for around the same price.

Or save your money for a new rig. The HD4830 is roughly 10-20% better than my 8800GT, so I'd say you could afford to play at a lower resolution and save up for new system with a more recent board.
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by KesslerB View Post
                    I was running a 2.6ghz X2 and an 8800gt and I went to a 3.2GHZ Phenom II X4 and my frame rates in most games just about doubled with the same video card. Newer games are very multi-threaded and there are a lot of physics calculations going on now.

A CPU upgrade will be a much better investment given your current hardware.
                    Interesting, thank you.

TG-6th|Almightylion

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                      Second this suggestion. The HD4890 seems to be the current best buy in terms of price-to-performance. The HD5770 I would not recommend seeing how you get what is equivalent to a 9600GSO's performance (just a tad better). And at nearly $200, you'd be better off with a HD4890 for around the same price.

Or save your money for a new rig. The HD4830 is roughly 10-20% better than my 8800GT, so I'd say you could afford to play at a lower resolution and save up for new system with a more recent board.

When I upgrade my video card, it will be one of the 5 series (unless ATI cut the price of the HD4890). But I like I said, I want to wait for the Nvidia to drop their new cards, to see how the prices of the current cards turns out.

I have really no need to save for a new rig, my motherboard supports all the latest CPUs from AMD, crossfire and I have a solid 650W PSU from cosair.

:)

TG-6th|Almightylion

Comment

Originally posted by AlmightyLion View Post
                        When I upgrade my video card, it will be one of the 5 series (unless ATI cut the price of the HD4890). But I like I said, I want to wait for the Nvidia to drop their new cards, to see how the prices of the current cards turns out.

I have really no need to save for a new rig, my motherboard supports all the latest CPUs from AMD, crossfire and I have a solid 650W PSU from cosair.

:)
                        You mention a Athlon 64 X2 but didn't say which AMD socket you have, so I assumed you had a older AM2 socket.

[scratched out since I was wrong - see two posts down]
                        Last edited by Acreo Aeneas; 03-09-2010, 12:39 PM.
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          You mention a Athlon 64 X2 but didn't say which AMD socket you have, so I assumed you had a older AM2 socket.

If you're going with a 5xxx series card, don't get the HD5770. At least get a HD5850 or higher. The 5770 is roughly the same as a 9600GSO and still not quite as good as your current 4830.
                          Its ok.

Thanks for the heads up, about the HD5770 !

TG-6th|Almightylion

Comment

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5770/30.html

5770 is close to 4870 and gtx260 in performance and is much closer to a 4890 in performance than a 9600gso(which it almost doubles).
                            |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Originally posted by Namebot View Post
                              http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5770/30.html

5770 is close to 4870 and gtx260 in performance and is much closer to a 4890 in performance than a 9600gso(which it almost doubles).
                              Okay, well, looking at a few more reviews, now sure how I managed to rate the 5770 close to the 9600GSO. Either way, disregard my previous post. It's slightly below a HD4890, though it's somewhat cheaper as well, at about $40-$60 difference
                              |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                              Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X