What to get

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to get

My birthday is in 7 days, and I figured I should get myself a computer upgrade.

XP
    Athlon Barton 2600+ ~1.9 Ghz
    Radeon 9700 pro
    Abit uGURU; socket A
    1 gig of RAM
    Santa Cruz Turtle Beach 5.1

What should I upgrade? I'm thinking I'll have to choose 1 thing, and it'll be between a processor and a graphics card. Oh, and the processor would have to do Out-Of-Order processing.

Re: What to get

Probably your processor, or most likely, your video card :)
    Screw the 9700 Pro, get a 9800xt/pro or something :P

(I'd upgrade the processor to make it a bit faster... the Radeon actually sounds fine for now :))

Comment

Which processor you can get is tied directly to your motherboard. I tried browsing abit's webpage to see which CPUs are suppoted by your motherboard, but couldn't not find it. uGURU is not a motherboard model. But given that your motherboard is socket A, your options in upgrading your processor will be limited. I suggest you upgrade your motherboard and CPU. Perhaps to a socket 939 mobo and athlonXP CPU.

Upgrading your graphics card without having a sufficiently powerful CPU will not allow you to take full advantage of your new graphics card's capabilities.

Idealy you would upgrade both CPU and graphics card. It hard to choose between the two, but a new CPU will effect overall proformance.
      Steam Community: | |

Comment

I have the nVIDIA2 thingy under socket A, I'm pretty sure. I got it last fall. Whats the best processor Socket A can get?

Comment

Your motherboard is probably one of these three below. The links show the supported processors. For the first 2 the max you can go is 3200+ and the last is 2700+

http://www.abit.com.tw/test_report/N...ries/index.php
          http://www.abit.com.tw/test_report/AN7/index.php
          http://www2.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webj...ort/NF7/01.php

I strongly suggest against upgrading only the processor. Even with a jump from 2600+ to 3200+ the gains would be insignificant.

You are really in a hard place. If you upgrade your motherboard along with your CPU you will probably want to get one that supports PCI-Express which also means getting a new graphics card.

Comment

you can use any of the AMD XP CPU's though if it's a sempron core you may have to update the bios.

- -

Comment

http://abit-usa.com/products/mb/sempron_cpu_support.php

This chart shows the sempron support for your motherboard.

Comment

Get a new processor and mobo and get more RAM. 1GB is starting to become minimum.
                RX-78-2 Gundam EFSF Protoype Close Combat Mobile Suit Armor: Luna Titanium Armament: 2x Beam Sabers, 2x 60mm Head vulcan guns 380mm Hyper bazooka, Beam Rifle, Beam Javelin, Hyper Hammer, Gundam Hammer, shield
                TG Natural Selection admin. Need anything PM me.
                7th Infantry FTW!!!!!
                "Snob? Nah...I consider myself more of a PC Evangelist...converting the heathens to The Way." Prophaniti
                "Windows is like Pokemon you gotta catch'em all." kenshinsama1

[tg-c1]

Comment

At least get the new mobo and processor. Right now, you could get the 3200 but you're paying ~$130 for a boost of 200 Mhz or so. Is that worth it?

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I have the AN7. The second link.

EDIT: Apparently my motherboard supports PCI-Express as is. My dad also thinks that a getting a processor with a 512 cache instead of 256 will make a big difference. And my processor is an AMD XP 2600+ with a Barton core.
                    Last edited by Karkianman101; 06-12-2005, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
                      Apparently my motherboard supports PCI-Express as is.

Ummm, no it doesnt. You may want to look over the specs

If you want to go with a CPU upgrade, I suggest this one.
                      It has 512 L2 cache and supports 400Mhz FSB. Should give you a little bit of a proformance boost, but will not be useful in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Karkianman101
                        XP
                        Athlon Barton 2600+ ~1.9 Ghz
                        Radeon 9700 pro
                        Abit uGURU; socket A
                        1 gig of RAM
                        Santa Cruz Turtle Beach 5.1

What should I upgrade? I'm thinking I'll have to choose 1 thing, and it'll be between a processor and a graphics card. Oh, and the processor would have to do Out-Of-Order processing.
                        I'd go for a new motherboard and processor, the works. Your upgrade path is kind of of limited if you're still running a Barton chip. Get something that supports Socket 939. That way you can upgrade to the dual-core chips when the prices come down.

Then get an ATI X400 . . .
                        But your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore.
                        We're already overcrowded from your dirty little war.

- John Prine, 1969

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X