RAM Temp Tool?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Temp Tool?

Does anyone know of a utility that'll let me check RAM ambient temperatures?

I just realized with 4 sticks of XM2, there won't be much of any breathing room between the 'sinks. Worried about the chips overheating, but unsure if I would need a RAM cooler.
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: RAM Temp Tool?

there is no sensor on any MB I know of to monitor Ram temps.....coolers are cheap and there are several aftermarket fans specifically for this if your concerned
    "Everyone makes fun of us rednecks with our big trucks and all our guns........until the zombie apocalypse"

Comment

You would have to get something with a thermal probe and attach it to the ram sticks. Of course this will only get you surface temps and not the temps of the chips themselves I believe that's the best you're going to get.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

IR temp gun is your friend here. I use mine everyday at my shop looking for overheating components.

Comment

Originally posted by ForGlory&Pain View Post
          IR temp gun is your friend here. I use mine everyday at my shop looking for overheating components.
          Great. I'll just have to borrow my dad's while he's not using it. I don't have the extra RAM yet but took a look inside the case. Think there will actually be close to 2 mm of space between each module's heatsink. That and the fact that the sinks weren't even warm to my touch, I might be fine without a RAM cooler for now.

If worse comes down to worse, I'll buy one later. Thanks for quick replies guys!
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

You know how we can monitor graphics card temperatures, speed, fan speed, etc via software/drivers. Why not have the same software/hardware interaction with RAM to the point where we can read temperature for a module given it has some built-in sensor that then can be read via the DIMM slot itself using third-party/Windows integrated tools?

I'm not saying we should have to install drivers for RAM we change out/put in. In fact, I don't think that would be feasible. Instead have a platform already there that manufacturers can follow the spec for and then just build in onboard sensors into their RAM modules.

Going a bit of a step further and maybe have OSes implement a tool like Everest that'll automatically read hardware sensor information for more than just a few components. That would eliminate me having to install a slew of third-party apps to monitor things like: CPU temperature, GPU clock speed/temp, etc.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I'd love for mobo mfgs, to stop being slack and give me real individual fan control delta's on non-enthusiast motherboards.

Open tools to integrate and monitor temps on the hardware would be wonderful too, but I usually do quiet-low temp builds, so I wouldn't need it as much as an overclocker.

Last whine, AMD FFS, give me adjustable AUTO fan profiles for my HD5850 (stock, medium, extra cooling)! Variable is set way too low for my liking and trust in the hardware, and fixed setting for full load is too loud for idle times... grrrr...

Comment

Well my current rig is aimed at performance and quiet. With that in mind, however low temp of a build one might be looking at, I think having a get-go ability to monitor temps is invaluable. You never know when your room could heat up to 100 F or when a crucial component could be about to fail (like HSF giving you heat spikes on load).

At least the newer hardware runs a helluva lot cooler than the next comparable nVidia counterpart and the fan profiles are adjustable. :)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X